The Student Room Group

Chances to get into the top 5

Okay, so I know that there're a ton of questions on this topic, but I'd just like to get advice on this topic in my situation.

So, first of all, I am a Hungarian student. I have heard somewhere that as for international students, they are less likely to get into UK universities
I'd like to study English and French and I really don't know which university or college should I choose. I have already visited a lot of websites etc. I have only contacted with one uni, though. It is in the top 20, I believe, but it seemed to be my top university for a while, because I really like their English and French course.

Since I couldn't really decide yet, I just googled on which universities have English and French joint degree courses, and I found unis such as Warwick and Oxford.
Because I like challenges, I came up with the idea that I want to apply to one university that is in the top 5 or 10 and "why couldn't it be Oxford?" I asked myself. So I did searched on it and got more information about courses. And I still feel insecure.
The thing I am sorry the most is that I am kind of shy. I mean, I don't like to be in the centre of attention and I make friends harder. However, In my opinion in another culture I could become more open-minded. I must say, that this really motivates me and I am sure that without the hope of studying in the UK I would have no interests in any field of my studies (the educational system is horrible in my country).
I'm not well aware of things that really count when selecting, but I'm 90 percent sure that there are students even at Oxbridge who are similar to me. I know admission tutors take in consideration every little pieces of the students applying there, but I wonder if it is more or less important than their skills.

I've read on how to write personal statements, and OK, I can't write that I am a supporter of an organ or something like that, but I will work from September part-time to start saving and also I have 50 hours I spent at a foundation as a charity work, but all I did was going to post and typing.
I've been learning English for up to 11 years now and I feel passion about it, and the same for French...
I'd like to be an interpreter or I can even imagine myself as a writer or a screenwriter. I have just got the 3rd place on a short story writing competition in English...

I'm not really about to "get into a top university", I just simply want to consider my chances, which is really hard as I don't live in the UK.
I don't have much confidence and I don't want to apply a place where I know I don't have the chance to get into.
So all I'm asking for is your opinion about my case.

Thank you for your replies! :smile:
The system for international student applications is completely different in the UK compared to that of English students, in a good way. Universities such as the London School of Economics, and others which teach internationally recognised courses (economics, medicine, English etc) are required to accept a certain % of international students per year, which means that actually, for some universities it may be quite simple for you to apply and be offered a place.

I would forget Oxford and Cambridge, they are over-exaggerated elite universities which offer nothing more than a status, instead look at universities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol as they offer a much wider choice of courses and they are tailored more of international students.

As for tuition fees, if you have a good record in school, I would apply for a scholarship fund to help with fees, cost of living etc. I wouldn't worry about the personal statement too much, as long as you can prove that you are capable of speaking/writing/reading in English to a high standard.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask me, we can talk in Hungarian as well if that is easier because I too am Hungarian :smile:
To be a bit prosaic, the easiest thing to gauge where you want to/can apply is your grades. If you take a look at the requirements of different unis, you can see roughly where you would have a good chance of getting an offer. If you can't find anything about Hungarian exams, you can always email the universities and ask about their standard offers and any requirements for the course. I would, however, advise against trying to play a numbers game and figure out where will be the 'easiest' to get an offer from and choose courses which really appeal to you.

I'm an international student (not Hungarian though!) who's gone through the application process. The application process is actually quite similar to the process for domestic applicants - everyone goes through UCAS. Obviously there are a few other things international students need, like visas or proof of English language ability, but the bulk (personal statement, references) of it is the same. For Oxbridge, the most important thing to get your foot in the door is your grades. If you're thinking about Oxford, check out their requirements for the exams you're taking and make sure you can achieve them. Once you have the requisite grades, the most important thing is that you can show your interest in the subject through extracurriculars, reading, work experience, etc. Extracurriculars which are irrelevant to the course you're applying for are only really useful as evidence that you can manage your time well. Oxbridge applications, with their interviews and high standards, can be quite intense so I'd also make sure you have someone at your school who can help you with your application (a teacher, guidance counsellor, etc).

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Venture_interpol
The system for international student applications is completely different in the UK compared to that of English students, in a good way. Universities such as the London School of Economics, and others which teach internationally recognised courses (economics, medicine, English etc) are required to accept a certain % of international students per year, which means that actually, for some universities it may be quite simple for you to apply and be offered a place.

I would forget Oxford and Cambridge, they are over-exaggerated elite universities which offer nothing more than a status, instead look at universities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol as they offer a much wider choice of courses and they are tailored more of international students.

As for tuition fees, if you have a good record in school, I would apply for a scholarship fund to help with fees, cost of living etc. I wouldn't worry about the personal statement too much, as long as you can prove that you are capable of speaking/writing/reading in English to a high standard.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask me, we can talk in Hungarian as well if that is easier because I too am Hungarian :smile:

Thanks for the massage. :smile:)
Are you studying there? At which university?
I know that Oxbridge is a little too overrated, I haven't even decided yet. Now, at the moment I would give it a shot, but I probably won't. The language courses are good enough, but not seem better than other places. Still, I feel like the tutorial system would be really my cup of tea...
Anyways. If you're studying in the UK could you just write about it a little?
Thanks
I am hoping to start to study BA International Business and economics in September, my firm choice is London school of economics, back up is University of Winchester :smile: The advantage of Oxbridge is that the majority of lecturers have pHDs, where in other universities most have a masters degree and only a few have a PhD, and also due to a smaller concentration of admitted students, lecture groups I presume are smaller which could I possibly mean that the standard of teaching is higher maybe? However, if you want a taste of what the UK is really like, meeting everyday people etc I would choose a different university, as Oxbridge is an elite-dominated institution.:tongue:
If you are capable though and you have the grades, then why not!

This said though, the standard of primary/secondary/further education in the UK is poor, it is much better in Hungary for example, so therefore if you do go to study in the UK, you might be smarter than other people :biggrin:
Original post by fruzsi97
Okay, so I know that there're a ton of questions on this topic, but I'd just like to get advice on this topic in my situation.

So, first of all, I am a Hungarian student. I have heard somewhere that as for international students, they are less likely to get into UK universities
I'd like to study English and French and I really don't know which university or college should I choose. I have already visited a lot of websites etc. I have only contacted with one uni, though. It is in the top 20, I believe, but it seemed to be my top university for a while, because I really like their English and French course.

Since I couldn't really decide yet, I just googled on which universities have English and French joint degree courses, and I found unis such as Warwick and Oxford.
Because I like challenges, I came up with the idea that I want to apply to one university that is in the top 5 or 10 and "why couldn't it be Oxford?" I asked myself. So I did searched on it and got more information about courses. And I still feel insecure.
The thing I am sorry the most is that I am kind of shy. I mean, I don't like to be in the centre of attention and I make friends harder. However, In my opinion in another culture I could become more open-minded. I must say, that this really motivates me and I am sure that without the hope of studying in the UK I would have no interests in any field of my studies (the educational system is horrible in my country).
I'm not well aware of things that really count when selecting, but I'm 90 percent sure that there are students even at Oxbridge who are similar to me. I know admission tutors take in consideration every little pieces of the students applying there, but I wonder if it is more or less important than their skills.

I've read on how to write personal statements, and OK, I can't write that I am a supporter of an organ or something like that, but I will work from September part-time to start saving and also I have 50 hours I spent at a foundation as a charity work, but all I did was going to post and typing.
I've been learning English for up to 11 years now and I feel passion about it, and the same for French...
I'd like to be an interpreter or I can even imagine myself as a writer or a screenwriter. I have just got the 3rd place on a short story writing competition in English...

I'm not really about to "get into a top university", I just simply want to consider my chances, which is really hard as I don't live in the UK.
I don't have much confidence and I don't want to apply a place where I know I don't have the chance to get into.
So all I'm asking for is your opinion about my case.

Thank you for your replies! :smile:

This page will show you what standard Oxford would expect from a Hungarian applicant:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

While people like Venture_Interpol mean well they don't always know what they are talking about. His comments about Oxbridge in general and lecturers with/without PhDs are ludicrous.
Original post by ageshallnot
This page will show you what standard Oxford would expect from a Hungarian applicant:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

While people like Venture_Interpol mean well they don't always know what they are talking about. His comments about Oxbridge in general and lecturers with/without PhDs are ludicrous.

My mother is a lecturer at Trinity College, the majority of lecturers Oxbridge possess PhDs, hence the reason they teach in doctorate lecture gowns. As for comments about Oxbridge, if you cannot acknowledge that it is an elite institution then your head is in the clouds, take your condescending BS somewhere else
My mother is a lecturer at Trinity College, the majority of lecturers Oxbridge possess PhDs, hence the reason they teach in doctorate lecture gowns. As for comments about Oxbridge, if you cannot acknowledge that it is an elite institution then your head is in the clouds, take your condescending BS somewhere else

I was not being condescending. I was taking issue with some of your statements.

You stated that most lecturers elsewhere 'most have a masters degree and only a few have a PhD'. Simply incorrect.

I did not deny that Oxford and Cambridge are 'elite'. However, you stated 'they are over-exaggerated elite universities which offer nothing more than a status'. Nothing more? Nothing at all? Seriously?
if you want a taste of what the UK is really like, meeting everyday people etc I would choose a different university...

...universities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol...

Lol if you think any top 50 university is "what the UK is really like".

Do not worry about such things OP. Just apply where you want to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending