The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Computing Science

Hi, For anybody who has studied computing science or a similar subject like software engineering at Glasgow can you tell me

A-How are the lectures
B-How much of it about hardware and how much about software
C-How much of a difference between Computing Science and Software Engineering
D-How is the difficulty of the course
And any other general information thanks
Just graduated.
A) most are ok, some are boring as you can imagine.
B) Mainly software, dbs, human elements etc, but you can take other courses alongside cs if you like hardware more.
C) The difference is literally you are guaranteed an internship if you get on the SE course in 3rd year, Cs students have to find it themselves (easy though) also SE students are forced to do software projects in 4th year, CS student could be more algorithm based/ research etc.
D) 1st year easy, 2nd year has a couple of tricky classes, 3rd all hell break loose and you will pull your hair out all year and feel such relief and happiness when it's over, 4th is hard but easier than 3rd year lol.

3rd year is a huge step up in terms of volume and difficulty. It's worth it but **** me it's a tough year.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
a) lectures are quite often fun. Lots of flipped classroom stuff, particularly in first year. Also we are transforming at least one 4th year CS module into an interactive MOOC.
b) you find out about Computer Systems - i.e. the underlying principles of the hardware - in 1st and 2nd year. Mostly you will use software simulators rather than real hardware. You might do some electronics courses (from School of Engineering) if you like that kind of thing. Lots of wacky hardware (Oculus Rift, Kinect, Robots, eye trackers) to play with in projects in 3rd and 4th year.
c) Software Engineering - you do a 10-week placement in summer holiday after third year. you have to take certain Software Engineering modules in 3rd and 4th year - i.e. a more restricted set of courses than Computing Science.
d) it starts slowly, then gets more difficult. Plenty of opportunity for extra-curricular activities - e.g. see Tech Soc here and here.
Reply 3
Thanks!
Original post by StefanB101
Just graduated.
A) most are ok, some are boring as you can imagine.
B) Mainly software, dbs, human elements etc, but you can take other courses alongside cs if you like hardware more.
C) The difference is literally you are guaranteed an internship if you get on the SE course in 3rd year, Cs students have to find it themselves (easy though) also SE students are forced to do software projects in 4th year, CS student could be more algorithm based/ research etc.
D) 1st year easy, 2nd year has a couple of tricky classes, 3rd all hell break loose and you will pull your hair out all year and feel such relief and happiness when it's over, 4th is hard but easier than 3rd year lol.

3rd year is a huge step up in terms of volume and difficulty. It's worth it but **** me it's a tough year.

Why do you think it is easy to get an internship?
Reply 5
Original post by Juichiro

Software Engineering students at Glasgow get lots of support to find internships. We have plenty of industrial contacts - we invite them along to give seminars etc. We also run special coaching sessions on CV writing, interview techniques etc
Original post by jsinger
Software Engineering students at Glasgow get lots of support to find internships. We have plenty of industrial contacts - we invite them along to give seminars etc. We also run special coaching sessions on CV writing, interview techniques etc

Great!
Reply 7
Also how are the lecturers, thanks!
Original post by Juichiro

The demand is there. I don't know anyone on the course who didn't get something, from big banks, to start ups. A few guys in my year ended up at Google. Jp Morgan hired 30 of us lol. But as jsinger said, there's tonnes of support and they really push you to get into an internship program.

Quick Reply