The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katy100
Hello,

I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone who has visited Marjon could let me know what it's like there and what the department is like? How does it compare to other places that you've visited? Thanks :smile:

Also good luck for tomorrow/later today JFNX!

Hi again. Not a stalker, I promise!! :biggrin:

I've firmed Marjon, and pretty much knew that it was going to be at least my insurance choice pretty early in the process.

The campus itself is pretty small, and everything is on one campus, which I find really good. Accomodation for 1st years is all on campus, and there's also private accomodation just down the road.

In terms of the department/course, one thing that really made the uni stand out for me (and a lot of other people too!) is that they offer an additional dysphagia (swallowing difficulty) module, and focus more on the field than other unis. Obviously not having it isn't the be all and end all (especially if you're not interested in that field) but it's definitely something that appealed to me.

There's no on-site clinic though, I don't think, which is different to a lot of other SLT departments. Derriford Hospital is just down the road, but placements do require a lot of travelling - anywhere in the South West, really. That's one of the first things I remember being told in the open day!

Anyway, I hope that's Ok. If you'd need/like any more info, then don't hesitate in asking - although I don't know how much help I'd be!! :smile:
Hello all!

I don't know how many of you know, but I run a SLT vlog on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVRvf5tb8LH7ESIOI5huEg) for anyone that's interested!

I've graduated from Marjon so I can answer any questions you have. :smile:

Also, I'm about to film a video about Results day and what to do if you don't meet your offer. If you have any issues or questions you would like me to address in this video, feel free to say!
Original post by Katy100
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain what the Occupational Health screenings involve? I have severe OCD and had 3 months of in-patient therapy from 2013 until January last year- do you think I wouldn't be passed as fit to practice?

Here's the video I made about occupational health checks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZYX_NNG2o
Reply 3703
Original post by Chloe_slt
I firmed my offer for Reading, just waiting on results day-fingers crossed 😊

lots of luck!! i'm a gap year student, which has been nice!! good luck for August!! Maybe see you in September :biggrin:
Hi Phoenix,

I've been watching your videos and they're really useful :smile: - thank you!

I'm unsure whether to apply for this year or to carry on with my Psych degree at the moment- I'd like to train as an SLT asap but don't know if it's best to carry on with something that I've started!

Where were your placements held? Did you enjoy them?

Also I hope it's ok to ask about this but in one of the videos I think you said that drop out rates were fairly high at Marjon- why do you think this is? Also is it easy to find SLT jobs after finishing?
Original post by Katy100
Hi Phoenix,

I've been watching your videos and they're really useful :smile: - thank you!

I'm unsure whether to apply for this year or to carry on with my Psych degree at the moment- I'd like to train as an SLT asap but don't know if it's best to carry on with something that I've started!

Where were your placements held? Did you enjoy them?

Also I hope it's ok to ask about this but in one of the videos I think you said that drop out rates were fairly high at Marjon- why do you think this is? Also is it easy to find SLT jobs after finishing?

Do what you think is best, it's so hard to say when I don't know why you chose Psychology in the first place!

My placements were in the South West (as I went to Marjon), mostly in schools for paediatrics and community clinics/intermediate care wards for adults. Placements are really hard work, but I did enjoy some aspects.

I think drop rates are high across the unis, but I can only talk about Marjon as that's the only uni I've experienced. In the past, they never interviewed for SLT, and I think people didn't know what they were letting themselves in for, so would drop out or change course after the first few weeks. They do interview now, so that will definitely help. I think people also saw it as a free course so were applying for the wrong reasons. Most people used to have the impression that SLT was an easy option!

All of my year got jobs within 6 months of graduating, and those who took the whole 6 months were holding out for their preferred client group.

Hope that answers your questions! :smile:
image.jpgMy place at DMU has been confirmed! I can't believe it's happened but it has - I'm so unbelievably happy! It doesn't feel real - I've wanted this for so long I am so excited!
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Do what you think is best, it's so hard to say when I don't know why you chose Psychology in the first place!

My placements were in the South West (as I went to Marjon), mostly in schools for paediatrics and community clinics/intermediate care wards for adults. Placements are really hard work, but I did enjoy some aspects.

I think drop rates are high across the unis, but I can only talk about Marjon as that's the only uni I've experienced. In the past, they never interviewed for SLT, and I think people didn't know what they were letting themselves in for, so would drop out or change course after the first few weeks. They do interview now, so that will definitely help. I think people also saw it as a free course so were applying for the wrong reasons. Most people used to have the impression that SLT was an easy option!

All of my year got jobs within 6 months of graduating, and those who took the whole 6 months were holding out for their preferred client group.

Hope that answers your questions! :smile:

Hi Phoenix I subscribed to you!

Your Pokemon analogy for male SLTs made my day!
Original post by JordanC55
image.jpgMy place at DMU has been confirmed! I can't believe it's happened but it has - I'm so unbelievably happy! It doesn't feel real - I've wanted this for so long I am so excited!

Best feeling in the world isn't it? Miss looking at my UCAS screen (well the post results day version anyway).

Well done now get packing ready for the big move :biggrin:
Original post by AmyPilot
Best feeling in the world isn't it? Miss looking at my UCAS screen (well the post results day version anyway).

Well done now get packing ready for the big move :biggrin:

It just doesn't feel properly real, like someone's gonna jump out and be like 'lol nah we were just trolling you'

Yeah I've got a month to sort my life out.
Good for you Jordan! It's starting to feel real now!!!
I just got my DBS clearance certificate today so I finally feel like things are moving too!
Original post by JaaySLT
Good for you Jordan! It's starting to feel real now!!!
I just got my DBS clearance certificate today so I finally feel like things are moving too!

Have you had your OH clearance yet, I'm still waiting to hear . Went to DBS event last Friday, did yours take long to come through? Hopefully meet up soon!
Original post by shropshirelass51
Have you had your OH clearance yet, I'm still waiting to hear . Went to DBS event last Friday, did yours take long to come through? Hopefully meet up soon!

Shouldn't take too long for your DBS certificate to come through. I went to a DBS event day in early July and had my DBS certificate sent to me a week and a bit after that. It's with the University now. We get it back though.

As far as the OH clearance goes, I haven't heard back from OH at the university yet either. I sent my form back to them at the end of June, so I guess we will be waiting a bit longer as I think they must be very busy! Hopefully hear from OH before Results Day as don't want it to be a problem with offers/Track/UCAS. If I don't hear back before early next week, I will call them to see what stage they are on with them. I didn't have anything I think would be an issue, but I guess they have a lot to go through, especially for Nursing courses.

Can't believe it's Results Day a week today. I can't wait to start the course! Lots of nervous excitement for results. I have to go and collect my results this time - last year they were emailed and posted to me. I think I won't be sleeping much Wednesday night! Always nerve wracking at any age.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for results next week and great to see Track offers updating already!
Reply 3713
Hi everyone

I am relatively new here and only recently discovered this thread.

I have an offer from BCU and will be studying part time there. I am a mature student so already have all of my results. Are there many others that will be attending BCU and planning on taking the part time route? It would be nice to get to know any new starters before the course starts.

As I have 2 young children I will be commuting to Birmingham from north Staffordshire on the days we are in uni. I have already attended one of the DBS events and my certificate came back very quickly too. I haven't heard anything from OH either and sent my form back to them not long after we initially received it.

Congratulations to all those that have met their offers (hope to meet some of you soon) and massive good luck to all those waiting for results, not long to go!
Original post by shropshirelass51

Hi Shropshirelass! Hope you're well. I hadn't heard back from OH yet either, but I did go into the Uni yesterday to hand in my DBS certificate and got chatting with HR. I mentioned the fact I hadn't heard anything back from OH yet and they confirmed that I had passed it but I probably wouldn't hear from OH until near enrolment time sometime in September. On my SRS account it states that my OH clearance is still outstanding but apparently it will continue to say this until they get around to updating it much later on. Hope that helps!
I also ended up calling OH too, (just because i'm persistent like that lol!!) and they confirmed I had passed and they would get around to updating the system when they had the time!
I was at the DBS event on Wednesday, so a couple of days before you...yours is most likely on it's way to arrive any day now!
Original post by slsm80
Hi everyone

I am relatively new here and only recently discovered this thread.

I have an offer from BCU and will be studying part time there. I am a mature student so already have all of my results. Are there many others that will be attending BCU and planning on taking the part time route? It would be nice to get to know any new starters before the course starts.

As I have 2 young children I will be commuting to Birmingham from north Staffordshire on the days we are in uni. I have already attended one of the DBS events and my certificate came back very quickly too. I haven't heard anything from OH either and sent my form back to them not long after we initially received it.

Congratulations to all those that have met their offers (hope to meet some of you soon) and massive good luck to all those waiting for results, not long to go!

Hi!!! Another part-time mature student here! I've posted a few times asking if there were any other mature part-timers so i'm glad to know there are others out there too!
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi Shropshirelass! Hope you're well. I hadn't heard back from OH yet either, but I did go into the Uni yesterday to hand in my DBS certificate and got chatting with HR. I mentioned the fact I hadn't heard anything back from OH yet and they confirmed that I had passed it but I probably wouldn't hear from OH until near enrolment time sometime in September. On my SRS account it states that my OH clearance is still outstanding but apparently it will continue to say this until they get around to updating it much later on. Hope that helps!
I also ended up calling OH too, (just because i'm persistent like that lol!!) and they confirmed I had passed and they would get around to updating the system when they had the time!
I was at the DBS event on Wednesday, so a couple of days before you...yours is most likely on it's way to arrive any day now!

Thanks, Jay, hopefully that means I've passed mine too, perhaps I'll ring them, but when they spoke to me before they were very noncommittal! Fingers crossed.
Original post by CuriousLinguist
Shouldn't take too long for your DBS certificate to come through. I went to a DBS event day in early July and had my DBS certificate sent to me a week and a bit after that. It's with the University now. We get it back though.

As far as the OH clearance goes, I haven't heard back from OH at the university yet either. I sent my form back to them at the end of June, so I guess we will be waiting a bit longer as I think they must be very busy! Hopefully hear from OH before Results Day as don't want it to be a problem with offers/Track/UCAS. If I don't hear back before early next week, I will call them to see what stage they are on with them. I didn't have anything I think would be an issue, but I guess they have a lot to go through, especially for Nursing courses.

Can't believe it's Results Day a week today. I can't wait to start the course! Lots of nervous excitement for results. I have to go and collect my results this time - last year they were emailed and posted to me. I think I won't be sleeping much Wednesday night! Always nerve wracking at any age.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for results next week and great to see Track offers updating already!

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed for next Thursday, I'll be thinking about you. I remember last year when my son was doing his A levels and the night before I hardly slept at all and was looking at clearing vacancies at 3.00am! He wasn't bothered and did fine. Sure you will do well and I look forward to meeting you in September!
I've also applied for (and firmed) BCU and was wondering, do you have to have the OH and DBS done before results for track to change conditional to unconditional because I don't really want to pay £44 to not even get the grades and get in but at the same time I don't want it to affect my offer and whether or not I get a place (I've tried emailing the uni but no reply).
Original post by aimeemayes
I've also applied for (and firmed) BCU and was wondering, do you have to have the OH and DBS done before results for track to change conditional to unconditional because I don't really want to pay £44 to not even get the grades and get in but at the same time I don't want it to affect my offer and whether or not I get a place (I've tried emailing the uni but no reply).

I have an unconditional offer for BCU as I already have a degree. However, being admitted to the course is still subject to DBS and OH clearance. I would guess that your offer will turn to unconditional on Thursday when you get your results (fingers crossed for the grades you need) and then you can sort the other things.

Good luck for Thursday

Quick Reply

Latest