The Student Room Group

RS or Philosophy and ethics Alevel?

I honestly can't decide! It's really annoying me because I can't take both! Any advice about them would be greatly appreciated. The exam board for both is OCR

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Sowercherry
I honestly can't decide! It's really annoying me because I can't take both! Any advice about them would be greatly appreciated. The exam board for both is OCR

Philosophy and Ethics is RS A level, it's just that units you study are the philosophy and ethics ones, not the ones relating to a specific religion. You need to discover which units you'd be studying if you picked RS.
Aren't they practically the same?
Original post by quentinhamilton
Aren't they practically the same?

Philo/Ethics is basically the study of Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics, more pointing to the Judaeo-Christian God and a little bit of Catholicism when looking at Kant and etc.

RS has units such as Hindu, Judaism and things like that. It looks at specific religions. There's also an AS and A2 unit soley devoted to the Bible as well!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Philo/Ethics is basically the study of Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics, more pointing to the Judaeo-Christian God and a little bit of Catholicism when looking at Kant and etc.

RS has units such as Hindu, Judaism and things like that. It looks at specific religions. There's also an AS and A2 unit soley devoted to the Bible as well!

Oh... I done AS religious studies when I was in year 10 and I remember the units being philosophy and ethics so we didn't study Hinduism, Judaism etc. Instead we looked at the problem of evil and suffering, the design argument/cosmological argument, utilitarianism, just war etc. (Exam board was Edexcel)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quentinhamilton
Oh... I done AS religious studies when I was in year 10 and I remember the units being philosophy and ethics so we didn't study Hinduism, Judaism etc. Instead we looked at the problem of evil and suffering, the design argument/cosmological argument, utilitarianism, just war etc. (Exam board was Edexcel)

That's basically Philo/Ethics. But I did the same hing, but with OCR and my official title is still Religious Studies.

Philosophy as a subject is more about things like theory of knowledge, truth tables, utilitariansm, animal rights, environmental ethics, Death and Reincarnaton, God and problem of evil and etc etc. But you just don't apply any of those topics to a particular religion. When you do, that's when it becomes Religious Studies.
Reply 7
they're the same thing in my school

Quick Reply

Latest