The Student Room Group

Changing university

Hi,I'm an italian students and in October i will begin my course of study in medicine,but,next year i would change university and study medicine in UK,I stayed there three times and I love it,I would graduate there,how can I do?What do I have to do?(except improving my English :biggrin:) Do i have to contact each university by email? (I'm happy in Italy,I'm in the best university as regard of medicine,I studied very hard to pass the exam,but I love English colleges,and I think that,as regard the medical research I could do the best only in UK or in the USA,in Italy medical research is so bad :angry:)
Original post by VinceH23
Hi,I'm an italian students and in October i will begin my course of study in medicine,but,next year i would change university and study medicine in UK,I stayed there three times and I love it,I would graduate there,how can I do?What do I have to do?(except improving my English :biggrin:) Do i have to contact each university by email? (I'm happy in Italy,I'm in the best university as regard of medicine,I studied very hard to pass the exam,but I love English colleges,and I think that,as regard the medical research I could do the best only in UK or in the USA,in Italy medical research is so bad :angry:)

Most UK universities do not allow transfers for Medicine, with other UK universities let alone from another country. If you really want to study in the UK then submit an application via UCAS by October 15. But you would have to give up your place in Italy.

To be honest this would be a very risk move and you are better off taking up your place in Italy.
Reply 2
There are no problems for this because in Italy the study course in medicine lasts 6 years and in Uk 5,so,however I don't lose years,but it could be better doing a change;the only thing that scares me is the fact that giving up my university I could lose both.I don't know,maybe I have to write to some universities,doing this I don't lose anything,but I thought that transfers could have been very difficult,so thank you for your reply,in the worst situation,if I graduated (and I hope it :biggrin:) I surely would do the foundation program in England,and not in Italy (y)
Would you not be better qualifying in Italy where you are learning a complex subject in your own language and then coming to the UK to do research when you are a fully registered doctor to do research?
Reply 4
There are no problems for this because in Italy the study course in medicine lasts 6 years and in Uk 5,so,however I don't lose years,but it could be better doing a change;the only thing that scares me is the fact that giving up my university I could lose both

But there is a problem with that, and that is that the majority of medical schools apparently will not consider applications from people who are on another medical degree elsewhere, or who have been in the past and then dropped out.
There are no problems for this because in Italy the study course in medicine lasts 6 years and in Uk 5,so,however I don't lose years,but it could be better doing a change;the only thing that scares me is the fact that giving up my university I could lose both.I don't know,maybe I have to write to some universities,doing this I don't lose anything,but I thought that transfers could have been very difficult,so thank you for your reply,in the worst situation,if I graduated (and I hope it :biggrin:) I surely would do the foundation program in England,and not in Italy (y)

Actually technically both courses are the same length = 6 years.
The only difference is in italy your FY1 year is included before you graduate.
So in italy year 6 = FY1.
In the UK you do FY1 after you graduate, but the FY1 is actually still technically a part of the degree because your university is responsible for you during FY1.
Which means when you finish your degree you can apply straight to FY2 posts and will be able to get full GMC registration.

My honest advice? Don't risk your place. You have a place at medical school, it would be very foolish to give that up. There are thousands of applicants in the UK that apply to medical school and don't get in, yet you have a place in medical school already and want to throw it away for nothing. If you give up your place in italy now and decide to apply, you will be competing directly with UK/Home applicants (who will have priority). You will also have to arrange to do your UKCAT and BMAT exams asap if you want to apply in october because the deadline for UKCAT is usually by the end of August/beginning of next month.
It's also worth mentioning that the Universities will also be aware that you withdrew from your medical degree spot in Italy despite applying to study there in the first place and they may view that as inconsistency/unreliability on your part. Just remember you will be competing if you decide to give up your place and apply in the UK and your odds won't be spectacular.

Do your degree in italy. you'll be able to apply directly for FY2 upon graduation and full GMC registration.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by insert-username
Actually technically both courses are the same length = 6 years.
The only difference is in italy your FY1 year is included before you graduate.
So in italy year 6 = FY1.
In the UK you do FY1 after you graduate, but the FY1 is actually still technically a part of the degree because your university is responsible for you during FY1.
Which means when you finish your degree you can apply straight to FY2 posts and will be able to get full GMC registration.

Do your degree in italy. you'll be able to apply directly for FY2 upon graduation and full GMC registration.

Are you sure about this? Not all of the EU six year medical degrees are like this.
Original post by Ronove
Are you sure about this? Not all of the EU six year medical degrees are like this.

Hm, well I'm not sure specifically about OPs university actually. I just assumed that was the case with most EU six year medical degrees? I'v done some research and apparently in Italy OP will only have to do an unpaid 3 month placement immediately upon graduating. successful completion of the placement = full license to practice medicine. So OP will be able to apply for full GMC license in the UK 3 months after graduating.

"After graduating, new doctors must complete a three-month, unpaid, supervised tirocinio post-lauream ("post-degree placement") consisting of two months in their university hospital (one month in a medical service and one in a surgical service) as well as one month shadowing a general practitioner."
Reply 8
You are right,i'll try the foundation programme when (I hope it ahahah) I'll graduated,but as regard the tirocinio also in Italy there is,so,however there are 7 years and in UK 6,anyway thank you,maybe I'll try to do erasmus or,however,to do somethingtsomething that hat allow me to study for a period in UK,even if i'll graduate in Italy (y)
You are right,i'll try the foundation programme when (I hope it ahahah) I'll graduated,but as regard the tirocinio also in Italy there is,so,however there are 7 years and in UK 6,anyway thank you,maybe I'll try to do erasmus or,however,to do somethingtsomething that hat allow me to study for a period in UK,even if i'll graduate in Italy (y)

Good luck, I wish you the best success in becoming a great doctor and practising in the UK!
Original post by Ronove

The majority of EU degrees result in being fully registered i.e. equivalent to an FY2, yes. I'm not aware of any country other than the UK that doesn't do this, though am willing to be informed!
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
The majority of EU degrees result in being fully registered i.e. equivalent to an FY2, yes. I'm not aware of any country other than the UK that doesn't do this, though am willing to be informed!

Well I've seen a guide for applying to the Foundation Programme for Danish students written by a Danish grad who went through it, so Denmark, for one. You don't gain full registration/licence to practise independently until you've done a year post graduation. On the basis of that I would hazard a guess that there are more countries that don't have a sixth year that excludes graduates from doing FY1 and FY2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending