The Student Room Group

'White Lives Matter'

Another contentious issue for TSR!

Who feels offended by the title of the thread and can you therefore justify why you think it is more, less or as objectionable as the sloganeered 'Black Lives Matter' that has been knocking around the internet for the past few days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cadherin
Another contentious issue for TSR!

Who feels offended by the title of the thread and can you therefore justify why you think it is more, less or as objectionable as the sloganeered 'Black Lives Matter' that has been knocking around the internet for the past few days?

Well of course all lives matter, but black lives matter has been trending because there is currently a lot of racial crime directed toward black people that is occurring in the states
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
Well of course all lives matter, but black lives matter has been trending because there is currently a lot of racial crime directed toward black people that is occurring in the states

There is plenty of racial hatred towards whites in the black communities, however, is there not?

I wonder what would happen if a white person walked down the streets of Zimbabwe or Chad during the nighttime? I doubt they'd come out alive.

Surely 'All Lives Matter' should thus be trending?
It's not offensive, it's just unnecessary at the moment. Nor is it equal to the term 'black lives matter'.

The phrase isn't to make black people more important than white lives but to draw attention to the implicit and explicit injustices faced by black people all over the western world. Black people are unequal with regards to their treatment in many ways in comparison to white people.

If there was similar historical and present injustices faced by white people caused by a different dominant race then the term would hold equal weight. At the moment, it doesn't.

Again, this doesn't mean that white people or other races don't matter. That's just a caricature of the argument.
Reply 4
Original post by chickenonsteroids
It's not offensive, it's just unnecessary at the moment. Nor is it equal to the term 'black lives matter'.

The phrase isn't to make black people more important than white lives but to draw attention to the implicit and explicit injustices faced by black people all over the western world. Black people are unequal with regards to their treatment in many ways in comparison to white people.

If there was similar historical and present injustices faced by white people caused by a different dominant race then the term would hold equal weight. At the moment, it doesn't.

Again, this doesn't mean that white people or other races don't matter. That's just a caricature of the argument.

There are plenty of injustices faced by both races - what about all of the white people murdered by ISIS for being ethnically different, for example?

I'm sure whites would not have equal treatment socially in countries such as Zimbabwe or many parts of South Africa.

Even in the western world, what about 'positive' discrimination in the employment sector to fill quotas for ethnic minorities? Is this not an injustice against the candidates succeeding on merit?
Tf they don't
I'm just glad I don't live in America, the land of the free & mentally backwards
There are plenty of injustices faced by both races - what about all of the white people murdered by ISIS for being ethnically different, for example?

I'm sure whites would not have equal treatment socially in countries such as Zimbabwe or many parts of South Africa.

Even in the western world, what about 'positive' discrimination in the employment sector to fill quotas for ethnic minorities? Is this not an injustice against the candidates succeeding on merit?

Black Lives Matter is primarily an American issue. So I don't see the relevance of Zimbabwe or South Africa.

I don't think all positive discrimination or affirmative action is an injustice. But that is a different discussion.
Reply 8
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'm just glad I don't live in America, the land of the free & mentally backwards

I think that's a gross generalisation - unfortunately, the US is being ruined by the hippies these days. Perhaps Saudi Arabia would be a better option for living.
Reply 10
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Black Lives Matter is primarily an American issue. So I don't see the relevance of Zimbabwe or South Africa.

I don't think all positive discrimination or affirmative action is an injustice. But that is a different discussion.

'Black Lives Matter' is being identified globally. I don't think it can be related to one single country or economy, therefore I bring in the examples of Zimbabwe and South Africa. I think attention should be drawn to all persecution.

I think a much better campaign against persecution would perhaps be 'All Lives Matter' - thus drawing attention also to murders by ISIS, persecution of Jews in the Middle East and the knife crime against whites in South Africa.

Surely justice is greater served by awarding job positions to people based upon merit? There are plenty of whites who are unemployed.
There is plenty of racial hatred towards whites in the black communities, however, is there not?

I wonder what would happen if a white person walked down the streets of Zimbabwe or Chad during the nighttime? I doubt they'd come out alive.

Surely 'All Lives Matter' should thus be trending?

I feel like you have a very warped sense of reality. Despite the fact that you are comparing institutional racism in America which is a first world country compared to less developed country, you are blatantly generalising whole countries as murderers that look for white people? Do you forget there are tourists who go to African countries and come out alive? Or are you choosing to opt for comparing two things that can't be compared to help your faulty logic

Regardless, the black lives matter does not in any way mean that white lives don't. It was created because in America, black lives aren't being treated as equal to white lives. It's not a movement to overpower the white man if that's what yore insinuating. I don't get why if a movement happens when a certain race is disadvantaged, that other races see it as a call to arms. The black lives matter movement is all about equality before the law and in society for minorities

Posted from TSR Mobile
My point exactly.

It's actually pretty "funny"; before posting that I did a quick search of TSR for the guy's name. Not a single result. Tells you everything. :sigh:
Reply 14
Original post by Posiedon12
I feel like you have a very warped sense of reality. Despite the fact that you are comparing institutional racism in America which is a first world country compared to less developed country, you are blatantly generalising whole countries as murderers that look for white people? Do you forget there are tourists who go to African countries and come out alive? Or are you choosing to opt for comparing two things that can't be compared to help your faulty logic

Regardless, the black lives matter does not in any way mean that white lives don't. It was created because in America, black lives aren't being treated as equal to white lives. It's not a movement to overpower the white man if that's what yore insinuating. I don't get why if a movement happens when a certain race is disadvantaged, that other races see it as a call to arms. The black lives matter movement is all about equality before the law and in society for minorities

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is perfectly reasonable demographically to compare two countries who have a majority white population and a majority black population, yes, and observe social attitudes towards both ethnic groups.

Plenty of white people are shot by American police - I think that it is perhaps a problem of police brutality in general, as opposed to against individual ethnic groups.

This is a failure on the black lives matter movement I have to admit. They can't preach about police brutality and ignore cases which don't fit into the race argument. However I did find out about this from the black lives matter community and some were even saying how they were disgusted by some black people closing their eyes to white unarmed citizens killed by policemen. The big issue here is that force is being used as a primary course of action rather than a resort by American police

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it is perfectly reasonable demographically to compare two countries who have a majority white population and a majority black population, yes, and observe social attitudes towards both ethnic groups.

Plenty of white people are shot by American police - I think that it is perhaps a problem of police brutality in general, as opposed to against individual ethnic groups.

You're acting like there are only two ethnicities in America. The Hispanic/Latino population in America is dramatically growing and there has always been a strong Asian presence in America. So if you want to talk demographics you need a better comparison. And wealth and development always shapes social attitudes so you can't just ignore those factors.

Yeah it is true that plenty of white people are killed by police officers. No one is denying that police brutality is a massive issue in America. The black lives matter movement is a result of the fact that people of colour are more likely to suffer from police brutality, not that white people don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Black Lives Matter' is being identified globally. I don't think it can be related to one single country or economy, therefore I bring in the examples of Zimbabwe and South Africa. I think attention should be drawn to all persecution.

I think a much better campaign against persecution would perhaps be 'All Lives Matter' - thus drawing attention also to murders by ISIS, persecution of Jews in the Middle East and the knife crime against whites in South Africa.

Surely justice is greater served by awarding job positions to people based upon merit? There are plenty of whites who are unemployed.

Alright, I don't think you understand my point. If I went to a breast cancer rally, I'm not going to start shouting about why AIDS matters or complaining about why my cold isn't given attention. Changing the attention to All Lives Matters simply detracts from the problems faced by black people - which happens to be the problem in the first place.

I don't think giving jobs or academic positions is as simple as just giving it on merit. It strips applications of necessary context.
Reply 18
Original post by Sabertooth
It's actually pretty "funny"; before posting that I did a quick search of TSR for the guy's name. Not a single result. Tells you everything. :sigh:

It further makes transparent the hypocrisy of the 'Black Lives Matter' campaign, obfuscated by the modern press.
It further makes transparent the hypocrisy of the 'Black Lives Matter' campaign, obfuscated by the modern press.

You know Zachary Hammond's name is all over Tumblr right? I mean they are always going on about how black lives matter. So you can't say there is hypocrisy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest