The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi All,

I was just wondering how the NHS Bursary and finance system works? Do you need to apply for both an NHS bursary and Student Finance loan?

I am applying late to SLT and a bit clueless as I've only ever used Student Finance England for my other Uni studies up until now.

:smile:
Reply 3721
Original post by Katy100
Hi All,

I was just wondering how the NHS Bursary and finance system works? Do you need to apply for both an NHS bursary and Student Finance loan?

I am applying late to SLT and a bit clueless as I've only ever used Student Finance England for my other Uni studies up until now.

:smile:

Hi, you apply to SFE for a reduced maintenance loan and the NHS bursary to cover your fees and £1000 grant and another maintenance loan. If you don't want the maintenance loan then you don't need to apply for SFE. Hope that helps :smile:
Hi guys. Ive just received an email from BCU saying they are pleased ive applied and will be joining them in September. They were my insurance, does that mean i missed my firm offer? I really had my heart set on Sheffield.
UCAS isnt going to update until wednesday
Original post by cforcoldplay
Hi guys. Ive just received an email from BCU saying they are pleased ive applied and will be joining them in September. They were my insurance, does that mean i missed my firm offer? I really had my heart set on Sheffield.

It may be that BCU have sent that email to all applicants, both firm and conditional. From what others have said I think Uni's will only just be receiving results, so decisions are unlikely to have been made yet, so I wouldn't worry. Fingers crossed you get the grades you hope for.
Original post by shropshirelass51
It may be that BCU have sent that email to all applicants, both firm and conditional. From what others have said I think Uni's will only just be receiving results, so decisions are unlikely to have been made yet, so I wouldn't worry. Fingers crossed you get the grades you hope for.

Oh alright. There's still hope. Thanks for replying :smile:
Hi guys!
I have an unconditional offer to study education studies at DMU,but I would like to change my course to speech and language therapy.Over the summer I have been looking through the course modules and I am very excited about this course.It combines what I love both medical field with linguistic.I am very nervous do you think this course may be in clearing on results day??I am predicted 320 UCAS points,hope everything works out.
Original post by Smilie789
Hi guys!
I have an unconditional offer to study education studies at DMU,but I would like to change my course to speech and language therapy.Over the summer I have been looking through the course modules and I am very excited about this course.It combines what I love both medical field with linguistic.I am very nervous do you think this course may be in clearing on results day??I am predicted 320 UCAS points,hope everything works out.

Hi Smilie,

I emailed DMU a few weeks ago and they said they do not have any Speech and Language Therapy places in Clearing (I'm applying late as a mature student). You could apply for next year though? Also don't take my word for it, do check with them but just so you don't feel disappointed.
Original post by anomea
Hi, you apply to SFE for a reduced maintenance loan and the NHS bursary to cover your fees and £1000 grant and another maintenance loan. If you don't want the maintenance loan then you don't need to apply for SFE. Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you! that helps :smile:
Hi guys!

Unfortunately, at any university, SLT is hardly ever in Clearing (I don't say never, because sometimes some universities do put one or two SLT places if they've had a lack of interest for some reason, but that's getting rarer and rarer these days).

If you were willing to accept any SLT course if it happened to be in Clearing, then you might have a slightly larger chance, but as I say, still pretty small.
You could take a gap year and apply for 2016 entry, or start your original course and hope that you can transfer into Year 1 of SLT once you're there, but that is something you'd have to discuss with DMU. They may not like that if it moght indicate you're not comepletely serious about SLT (as you chose a different course to start with).

Hope that helps!

When I applied way back in 2009, I had a similar thing happen to me. I had DMU as my firm, and MMU as my insurance, then I got a letter about 1 week before results day from MMU saying that I had now entered Clearing.

I had no idea what it was on about, so I ignored it, until results day came, and I had been rejected by DMU (well, strictly speaking I had a changed course offer, but this is essentially an SLT rejection) and also rejected by MMU. The MMU communications department obviously were a little too organised, and had sent out the letters prematurely.

This isn't to say that this will happen to you, but these things happen. The only way to know for sure is to ring BCU or find someone else who has BCU as a firm or insurance choice to see if they got the same email.

Hi! BCU is my insurance choice, and I got this email too. I've checked track since I saw it this morning (just in case), and nothing's changed (Marjon's still set as my firm conditional, and BCU as my insurance) and I was really glad when I saw your post, because believe you me, I really did panic. I hope like ShropshireLass says that it's just a generic email from the uni sent out to everyone that holds out some kind of offer with them - because, like you, I've got my sights set on Marjon, although I would be OK with going to BCU (because I'm determined that I want to qualify as an SLT), but I definitely would be gutted. I'm holding out hope for this, because this is pretty much the first proper email/acknowledgement I've got from BCU since I've insuranced them - compared to a constant cycle of emails and letters from my firm!! :biggrin:

I initially thought about emailing the uni on Monday to see what the situation is (especially after reading Phoenix's suggestion that maybe they've sent the emails out prematurely), but I've since reconsidered - I might just wait out until results day and see. Because, really, if I've missed out on a place at Marjon, but been accepted by BCU, then there's nothing that the uni (or I) can do until the 13th. And, if I've been accepted by my firm, then the email won't be relevant anyway!
I don't know...

To complicate things even further, I came home from a holiday last night to a pre-course reading list from my firm choice. And then this...

Why does everything have to be so confusing/frustrating/complicated????!!!!
Hi guys!

Hey dudette

I'm going to DMU for speech therapy this year so if you still go DMU we will be in the same building :,)

Speech therapy isn't in clearing and at the it very rarely goes in. Maybe go DMU and reapply next year through ucas? I do think you'll struggle to get onto speech therapy this year unless you apply to one of the clearing unis
Original post by rhimair
Hi! BCU is my insurance choice, and I got this email too. I've checked track since I saw it this morning (just in case), and nothing's changed (Marjon's still set as my firm conditional, and BCU as my insurance) and I was really glad when I saw your post, because believe you me, I really did panic. I hope like ShropshireLass says that it's just a generic email from the uni sent out to everyone that holds out some kind of offer with them - because, like you, I've got my sights set on Marjon, although I would be OK with going to BCU (because I'm determined that I want to qualify as an SLT), but I definitely would be gutted. I'm holding out hope for this, because this is pretty much the first proper email/acknowledgement I've got from BCU since I've insuranced them - compared to a constant cycle of emails and letters from my firm!! :biggrin:

I initially thought about emailing the uni on Monday to see what the situation is (especially after reading Phoenix's suggestion that maybe they've sent the emails out prematurely), but I've since reconsidered - I might just wait out until results day and see. Because, really, if I've missed out on a place at Marjon, but been accepted by BCU, then there's nothing that the uni (or I) can do until the 13th. And, if I've been accepted by my firm, then the email won't be relevant anyway!
I don't know...

To complicate things even further, I came home from a holiday last night to a pre-course reading list from my firm choice. And then this...

Why does everything have to be so confusing/frustrating/complicated????!!!!

Sure its just a generic email - had similar last year from my insurance so try not to worry.

I reckon it would be best to leave the uni alone for now - Track is locked whilst the unis go through exams results so they can make decisions and update Track for results day on Thursday so they are probably a bit busy/otherwise engaged to give you a sensible answer anyway.

Keep smiling - not long to go now!
Original post by PhoenixFortune
When I applied way back in 2009, I had a similar thing happen to me. I had DMU as my firm, and MMU as my insurance, then I got a letter about 1 week before results day from MMU saying that I had now entered Clearing.

I had no idea what it was on about, so I ignored it, until results day came, and I had been rejected by DMU (well, strictly speaking I had a changed course offer, but this is essentially an SLT rejection) and also rejected by MMU. The MMU communications department obviously were a little too organised, and had sent out the letters prematurely.

This isn't to say that this will happen to you, but these things happen. The only way to know for sure is to ring BCU or find someone else who has BCU as a firm or insurance choice to see if they got the same email.

Where did you go to uni then? Did you take a gap year and then reapply or did you get in via clearing somewhere?
Original post by JordanC55
Where did you go to uni then? Did you take a gap year and then reapply or did you get in via clearing somewhere?

I went to Marjon in 2010, I took a gap year after an unsuccessful 2009 application. I didn't have the option to go into Clearing in 2009 because DMU took 2 days from results day to make my conditional offer a changed course offer, meaning Clearing had practically closed by that time, and I had few other options than to take a gap year. I wouldn't wish the way they left me hanging on anyone! I hope that doesn't go on nowadays.
Hi all,
I am going into year 12 soon and thinking about studying speech and language therapy. I was wondering what all you guys did for a levels and what recommendations you have.
I am definitely doing Maths, Biology, Geography and am unsure about the fourth, but possibly French, Chemistry or English literature (my school does not offer language) .
I don't really want to do psychology...
Thank you for any help you may have!!
Original post by ruthie_nuggetty
Hi all,
I am going into year 12 soon and thinking about studying speech and language therapy. I was wondering what all you guys did for a levels and what recommendations you have.
I am definitely doing Maths, Biology, Geography and am unsure about the fourth, but possibly French, Chemistry or English literature (my school does not offer language) .

I personally did sociology psychology RS and English lit/lang.

Biology is good (at Newcastle it used to be essential) English language would be more helpful than literature (though I note your school/college doesn't offer this - shame), a second language is also good.

Most unis list "preferred subjects" so it might be worth having a nosey at the websites of the unis you would be interested in applying to.

Good luck.
Hi all,

Out of those 3 potentials I would say do French because it shows language skills
Hi all,

Out of French, Chemistry and English Literature, I personally would pick French. I did Psychology, English Literature and Human Biology at A level, but as you don't want to do Psychology, French is the most appropriate.

As someone who has already completed the degree, having A level Psychology was hugely useful and a big advantage during the course. Is there a particular reason you don't want to do it?

Which subject would you drop after AS, or were you thinking of doing them all to A2?

Can I ask why you've picked Geography? I assume it's to keep your options open.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Out of French, Chemistry and English Literature, I personally would pick French. I did Psychology, English Literature and Human Biology at A level, but as you don't want to do Psychology, French is the most appropriate.

As someone who has already completed the degree, having A level Psychology was hugely useful and a big advantage during the course. Is there a particular reason you don't want to do it?

Which subject would you drop after AS, or were you thinking of doing them all to A2?

Can I ask why you've picked Geography? I assume it's to keep your options open.

Thank you for your help. I really want to do 4 facilitating subjects for a level which is why I don't want to do psychology. I'm not 100% sure I definitely want to study speech and language anyway so by doing facilitating subjects, I keep my options more open.

Geography is a subject I enjoy and think I could get a good grade in. Also it keeps my options open!

I don't know which one I will drop, if any! Did you enjoy your degree?

Quick Reply

Latest