The Student Room Group

Mac or PC for uni? Music Business degree.

Hey guys, I'll be studying a Music Business degree (BIMM Brighton) starting this year, and I have to buy a new laptop for it. (Current one is 9 years old with broken hinges heh.) Does it matter if I get a pc or a mac? Is one preferred or more helpful than the other while studying this course? Any recommended specs?

Various modules include: Live sound, studio recording and media/marketing
I also want to get into photo editing and some basic graphic design.

All help appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you know what software you'll need?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Do you know what software you'll need?

That's my problem, I don't really.
I've tried emailing a few different adresses at BIMM but haven't gotten any answers. Found another email adress today so now I've tried that and am waiting for an answer.
Original post by Josefine
Hey guys, I'll be studying a Music Business degree (BIMM Brighton) starting this year, and I have to buy a new laptop for it. (Current one is 9 years old with broken hinges heh.) Does it matter if I get a pc or a mac? Is one preferred or more helpful than the other while studying this course? Any recommended specs?

Various modules include: Live sound, studio recording and media/marketing
I also want to get into photo editing and some basic graphic design.

All help appreciated!

From what I've heard from my friends who have done similar audio production based degrees, Macs are generally preferred as they have a slightly larger range of industry grade software and the cross-platform options tend to run slightly better on OS X, and Macs can run both Windows and OS X on the same machine. It's not a huge factor though, odds are most of the software you'll be using will be available on either system and if anything in the course relies on OS X exclusive software it will be done in computer labs with Macs available. If you hear back from the course staff and they strongly recommend one system or another, I would give that a lot of thought, otherwise buy what you prefer/can afford.
Reply 4
Thank you, I'll see what I can find out from the staff, hopefully at least something haha.
I feel so lost, actually the first time I'm buying a brand new laptop, rather than a friends hand me down. Such a jungle out there.

Edit:
My gut feeling tells me a macbook pro is the way to go. Maybe I could go for a used (but not battered) one and not break the bank? Rather than a brand new asus. Hmm.
(edited 8 years ago)
You will use Pro Tools and Ableton a LOT at BIMM - PC or Mac would suit.

But you will also use Logic Pro X - Mac Only.

So therefore, the platform that covers all your needs is a Mac.
Reply 6
Original post by GoodStudent
You will use Pro Tools and Ableton a LOT at BIMM - PC or Mac would suit.

But you will also use Logic Pro X - Mac Only.

So therefore, the platform that covers all your needs is a Mac.

Thanks for your answer! Looks like I'll go for a mac then, probably do a windows partition on it (for Heroes III if nothing else haha).
Hi Joesfine.

Firstly, i thought you were attending Bimm London.

Secondly, be very careful. You will use Ableton Live a LOT on your course, and if you get the very latest Mac (With OS 10.x Yosemite), Ableton doesn't run on this latest system!!!

Pro-Tools and Logic are fine for Mac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending