The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
Unis are not much impressed by exotic travel experiences. They want evidence of solid UK vet and farm experience - because its a course to train vets to work in UK conditions and also because food production/public health is a large part of the course and subsequent vet work. Playing games with dolphins and turtles isn't a great deal of use in showing awareness of this - but sensible reflection on a weeks lambing in a freezing cold farm shed and shadowing a abbatoir visit by a vet will. All the 'exotic' stuff says is 'I've got rich parents and I like to show off'.

Unless of course you don't come from the UK and got relevant work experience elsewhere. In all my interviews (bar Surrey since the interviewers never read my ps) they were very interested about my experiences in the Philippines, since it was different and I could talk about it.
As long as you can talk about your work experience in detail and passionately you should be fine. Sure, paid things can't be used as an advantage, but if you're able to talk about it then the unis should still be able to consider thay experience.
Best of luck for results day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey does anyone know for definite when UCAS updates on the 13th? I've heard midnight, 6am, 7am and 8am but haven't managed to find anything from UCAS itself confirming any of these so I'm still none the wiser. Not that it makes much of a difference since I won't be entering clearing if when I fail to get in, I'd just rather check ASAP. Rip the plaster off quickly rather than peeling it slowly, y'know? :wink:

Cheers
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hey does anyone know for definite when UCAS updates on the 13th? I've heard midnight, 6am, 7am and 8am but haven't managed to find anything from UCAS itself confirming any of these so I'm still none the wiser. Not that it makes much of a difference since I won't be entering clearing if when I fail to get in, I'd just rather check ASAP. Rip the plaster off quickly rather than peeling it slowly, y'know? :wink:

Cheers

Officially, 8am 😊
image.jpg
Original post by laurensmiley97
Officially, 8am 😊
image.jpg

Ta :smile:
Reply 7324
Ta :smile:

Although UCAS guarantee 8am they are almost always earlier, between 6 and 7 so it's definitely worth checking from 6!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where can I find the Facebook group for this course? Is there just one or does each uni have one?
Original post by Sax123
Although UCAS guarantee 8am they are almost always earlier, between 6 and 7 so it's definitely worth checking from 6!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Righto, thanks :smile:

Original post by megannlizz
Where can I find the Facebook group for this course? Is there just one or does each uni have one?

There's a general 2015 vet apps group, then an offer holders' group for each university. Some have further groups, e.g. for the gateway course and for each accommodation building. There's a 2016 apps group now too.

They're all easily found through the Facebook search.
Last year Track woke up at about 6am.

UCAS tell everyone its 8am because they don't want 10,000 logging on earlier in one big hit. But if you are awake earlier its worth checking. Just don't keep hitting refresh endlessly if it isnt - this just slows the entire system, and makes you more anxious. If it isnt open or your decision isnt here yet, go back 30 mins later to check. And once you have your decision and all is well, stay off Track.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by returnmigrant
Unis are not much impressed by exotic travel experiences. They want evidence of solid UK vet and farm experience - because its a course to train vets to work in UK conditions and also because food production/public health is a large part of the course and subsequent vet work. Playing games with dolphins and turtles isn't a great deal of use in showing awareness of this - but sensible reflection on a weeks lambing in a freezing cold farm shed and shadowing a abbatoir visit by a vet will. All the 'exotic' stuff says is 'I've got rich parents and I like to show off'.

Unless of course you paid for the trips yourself, after saving for months and working to do it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megannlizz

Search 2016 veterinary medicine applicants on Facebook, you will find it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what are the options that UCAS track will show? If it hasn't changed yet does that mean you haven't got in?
Original post by goonieskellie
So what are the options that UCAS track will show? If it hasn't changed yet does that mean you haven't got in?

If you mean on results day - most peoples' Tracks will have changed by 8.00am but, according to last year's figures, around 10,000 hadn't updated by 8.00. This is apparently due to either the university not yet having made a decision, or UCAS being slow. I read that if when you pick up your results from your school or college you have achieved the required grades for your offer, then you have got the place, but if by mid-morning Track hasn't updated, then contact the university to check everything is ok. If you haven't quite achieved the grades, then the uni could be making last minute decisions - I think at that point I would phone them up; I'm not sure what the proper protocol is for this
So overall, if UCAS hasn't changed, it's not that you haven't done it, it may just be slow
Sorry just want to add a bit more - when UCAS updates it will either tell you 'unconditional firm' for your firm if you achieved those grades, or for your insurance if you missed your firm. If you miss the grades, it will show 'rejection/unsuccessful'
Anyone have a first year timetablefor Glasgow? Just interested to see what it roughly looks like! Also has anyone going to Glasgow managed to get the link for the health form to work? I cant get it to work at all!
Original post by Skylark365
Anyone have a first year timetablefor Glasgow? Just interested to see what it roughly looks like! Also has anyone going to Glasgow managed to get the link for the health form to work? I cant get it to work at all!

Timetables vary from year to year. Just go with the general idea that you're in 9-5 most days apart from Wednesday ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7335

For the last 2 years it has been 0730 almost precisely

Start refreshing your browser at about that time and good luck to all
Is it just me who really doesn't think they have got the grades aha
What are people planning to do if they miss the grades? :/
I was thinking of just retaking A levels and do loads of WE again and apply again next year, even though my chances will be greatly reduced and it will be so much harder. :frown:
I don't really see any other option, unless I completely re-decide what I want to do with my life, which would be heart breaking.:afraid::ahhhhh::argh:
Same as you I suppose - retake the necessary A levels next year. I have no idea what else I'd do as a degree; nothing else really appeals to me, so clearing isn't really an option... Just praying for 3As
Original post by Lizziefickling
Don't get me wrong, I went to Africa 3 times before I got into uni, and it was an amazing experience, but the only thing that helped me during my application was that I could talk about the things I did there. I worked in a practice for a week in South Africa and it was definitely an experience seeing how practices differ from one country to another. I'm looking forward to doing my ems in third year out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so jealous! I wish i could have done it, & I think if people can afford it, they definitely should. Which company did you go through to organise it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending