The Student Room Group

New Mathematics Exams From 2017 Specification Papers Are Here!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-8300/assessment-resources

They look pretty hard compared to the previous years. The foundation paper seems extreme.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
They don't even look to hard???
But they are definitely harder papers then the current paper I done this year in my exam for AQA but it's not harder than the Further maths Level 2 Certificate. So it's an okay exam. Wish I done this new GCSE
(edited 8 years ago)
Eww, a permutations question in Edexcel.
Original post by OGGUS
They don't even look to hard???
But they are definitely harder papers then the current paper I done this year in my exam for AQA but it's not harder than the Further maths Level 2 Certificate. So it's an okay exam. Wish I done this new GCSE

I would've liked the old papers to be honest. The foundation papers are a little extreme to only achieve a grade C but the higher has only increased a little in difficulty but the increase in difficulty isn't needed at foundation - it seeming like the pass rate will go down.
Original post by SeanFM
Eww, a permutations question in Edexcel.

They're okay I guess...I'm doing excedel GCSE maths and the excedel paper has some very hard elements. Oh my god..this is going to be difficult!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by danielwinstanley
I would've liked the old papers to be honest. The foundation papers are a little extreme to only achieve a grade C but the higher has only increased a little in difficulty but the increase in difficulty isn't needed at foundation - it seeming like the pass rate will go down.

yeah, it probably will but the government needed to do this. I've seen foundation past papers and they are not up to scratch. I saw a question like this
8-3
Original post by OGGUS
yeah, it probably will but the government needed to do this. I've seen foundation past papers and they are not up to scratch. I saw a question like this
8-3

True but this is seeming a little extreme there's simultaneous equations on the foundation paper.
They're okay I guess...I'm doing excedel GCSE maths and the excedel paper isn't looking too bad.

They can get quite complicated, but hopefully they'll play nice at GCSE. And it's good to hear that you're finding it okay :smile:
Reply 9
True but this is seeming a little extreme there's simultaneous equations on the foundation paper.

Yeah, but there easy...
Original post by SeanFM
They can get quite complicated, but hopefully they'll play nice at GCSE. And it's good to hear that you're finding it okay :smile:

One paper looks okay and the other one look disastrous. I actually don't think they're going to play nice though - HOPEFULLY.
Original post by OGGUS
Yeah, but there easy...

One question is:
17 (b) Use the graphs to solve the simultaneous equations y = 5 x and y = x + 1[1 mark]x =y =

I really don't think somebody on foundation would get that question.
Reply 12
One question is:
17 (b) Use the graphs to solve the simultaneous equations y = 5 x and y = x + 1[1 mark]x =y =

I really don't think somebody on foundation would get that question.

Well the people who've done foundation now can't but the people doing it should be able to because they will get taught it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS
Well the people who've done foundation now can't but the people doing it should be able to because they will get taught it.

True..I just hope this education reform for the major subjects doesn't come at a loss for the people sitting exams in 2017.
Reply 14
True..I just hope this education reform for the major subjects doesn't come at a loss for the people sitting exams in 2017.

yeah, that would just be sad for the students who go to state schools...
Reply 15
I only looked at the higher paper which is an acceptable (just about) in my opinion.

The issue is not to make an exam harder only.
If this is to happen the boundary for an A* will be around 60 and here we go again .... more political spin.

Topics need to come onto the curriculum early, instead of doing fractions, %, ratio for 5 years in a row...
I did fractions in Year 6 (educated abroad)
We never did fractions ever again. In year 9 we were completing the square.

I think maths should be core until Y9.

After year 9 there should be a compulsory GCSE paper in applicable, sensible everyday arithmetic, data and mensuration. (NO ALGEBRA!)
Those who wish to do maths, take it as an option in Year 10 and let me design the curriculum for that ...
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
I only looked at the higher paper which is an acceptable (just about) in my opinion.

The issue is not to make an exam harder only.
If this is to happen the boundary for an A* will be around 60 and here we go again .... more political spin.

Topics need to come onto the curriculum early, instead of doing fractions, %, ratio for 5 years in a row...
I did fractions in Year 6 (educated abroad)
We never did fractions ever again. In year 9 we were completing the square.

I think maths should be core until Y9.

After year 9 there should be a compulsory GCSE paper in applicable, sensible everyday arithmetic, data and mensuration. (NO ALGEBRA!)
Those who wish to do maths, take it as an option in Year 10 and let me design the curriculum for that ...

I did the same, of what your saying but I done maths and further maths GCSEs. (living in the UK)
Reply 17
Original post by OGGUS
I did the same, of what your saying but I done maths and further maths GCSEs. (living in the UK)

You probably privilidged to go the route prep then private...

I am taking state schools ...
Reply 18
Original post by TeeEm
You probably privilidged to go the route prep then private...

I am taking state schools ...

I went to state school...
????
Reply 19
Original post by OGGUS
I went to state school...
????

then you are the anecdotal exception

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending