The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
I'm watching Jags live scrimmage... I need football! They sing the anthem at scrimmage too though. Insane. Nick Marshall by the way, the QB who converted to corner again at the Senior Bowl... he's actually pretty good. Raw and probably a 1 year project but he could be really good.

Corey Grant has been really really impressive in the framework of what he can do in camp. May be the 4th or 5th RB on the roster according to JP Shadrick Jags staff writer. The Jags O-Line are getting absolutely killed by the the Jags D-Line on every play; pass or run its a struggle. When Bortles has time he can put the ball in the right spots. Allen Robinson just caught a 30 yard lob pass laying out for the TD. Another over the shoulder TD throw to Julius Thomas and Hurns dropped a 50 yard bomb down the sideline.

Josh Scobee is seriously in danger of losing his spot at kicker. Chris Myers is hammering them and can apparently kick 68 yard FGs. He's got a massive leg. He hit his 60 attempt, Scobee missed his wide left. He used to kick in the Arena League so he must be accurate too!

Preseason starts tonight. Steelers-Vikings at Canton in the Hall of Fame Game. 20 odd solid Sundays of proper football now.

It will be interesting to see how Bortles responds. He improved down the stretch last year, but he played like any rookie really all things considered.
Original post by jammy4041
Preseason starts tonight. Steelers-Vikings at Canton in the Hall of Fame Game. 20 odd solid Sundays of proper football now.

It will be interesting to see how Bortles responds. He improved down the stretch last year, but he played like any rookie really all things considered.

What time UK is the game?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1062
Original post by Motorbiker
What time UK is the game?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think because it's 20:00 EST that makes it 01:00 Monday in UK time. The standard late slot on a Sunday.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I think because it's 20:00 EST that makes it 01:00 Monday in UK time. The standard late slot on a Sunday.

Damn, I like the game but I refuse to stay up that late for a game unless it's the playoffs or superbowl.

Looking forward to the nice evening games for us.

Oh and the lunchtime Wembley game I'm going to as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1064
Yeah, I don't regularly do the 1am slot, not with Sunday tea time games being far more accessible.
Original post by Wattsy
Yeah, I don't regularly do the 1am slot, not with Sunday tea time games being far more accessible.

Is the season schedule out for times of games? Hoping there's a lot of tea time cowboys games to watch.

Week four game vs Patriots iirc will be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the season schedule out for times of games? Hoping there's a lot of tea time cowboys games to watch.

Week four game vs Patriots iirc will be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Cowboys should usually play in a 9.30pm/9.25pm slot. Nice and comfortable...it's done by just after midnight, and there's a good chance they'll be on Sky a lot of weeks. Cowboys play the Patriots in Week 5. They have to play vs Giants (SNF)-@Eagles-vs Falcons-@Saints (SNF) one through four...no gimmes with an improved NFC south.

And, yes.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/4/21/8462285/dallas-cowboys-2015-nfl-schedule-dates-game-times-strength-of-schedule-tv-listings-analysis
(edited 8 years ago)
The Cowboys should usually play in a 9.30pm/9.25pm slot. Nice and comfortable...it's done by just after midnight, and there's a good chance they'll be on Sky a lot of weeks. Cowboys play the Patriots in Week 5. They have to play vs Giants (SNF)-@Eagles-vs Falcons-@Saints (SNF) one through four...no gimmes with an improved NFC south.

And, yes.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/4/21/8462285/dallas-cowboys-2015-nfl-schedule-dates-game-times-strength-of-schedule-tv-listings-analysis

Ahhh, it's the patriots fourth game though so still no Brady. That's what I was getting confused with.

No gimmes without Murray on our side.

Got my now TV box ready for any sky games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously we won't see much of the starters but perhaps it'll shed some early light on the Wheeton/Bryant question...
Reply 1069
Original post by Josh_Stride
Obviously we won't see much of the starters but perhaps it'll shed some early light on the Wheeton/Bryant question...

My fantasy draft board indicates that there isn't a question. Bryant is 63 so round 7 in most standard leagues and Wheaton is 205 making him undrafted by a mile in standard leagues. If these figures translate to performance and they usually do with the occasional surprise boom or bust here or there, there shouldn't be a real contest. If there is, Bryant is being overdrafted. I think he might be by a little way but there's no way he should be going undrafted in fantasy this season.

Roethlisberger and Peterson aren't playing either. There are a few other vets sitting the HoF game too. It's hard to get a good look at recievers when Tajh Boyd and Landry Jones will be throwing to them for most of the game. The 1's will have Gradkowski so I suppose that might be a bit better but he's obviously not a patch on Big Ben.The AP absence is pretty inconsequential. You'll just see more of McKinnon and Asiata who were actually good in flashes last season.

Peterson is still a **** by the way despite his suspension for beating his kid with a switch. He did an interview saying he thinks he's already a HoF lock so he now wants to be the best player ever. He's not even the best player in the NFL right now and that he's the best RB is up for debate so to reach best ever he's going to need some insane numbers. He wants to be better than Walter Payton, Deion Sanders, Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor? I don't even need to have seen those guys play. Their reputation precedes them. AP should give it a rest and try and win for his team rather than his own over inflated ego.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
My fantasy draft board indicates that there isn't a question. Bryant is 63 so round 7 in most standard leagues and Wheaton is 205 making him undrafted by a mile in standard leagues. If these figures translate to performance and they usually do with the occasional surprise boom or bust here or there, there shouldn't be a real contest. If there is, Bryant is being overdrafted. I think he might be by a little way but there's no way he should be going undrafted in fantasy this season.

Roethlisberger and Peterson aren't playing either. There are a few other vets sitting the HoF game too. It's hard to get a good look at recievers when Tajh Boyd and Landry Jones will be throwing to them for most of the game. The 1's will have Gradkowski so I suppose that might be a bit better but he's obviously not a patch on Big Ben.The AP absence is pretty inconsequential. You'll just see more of McKinnon and Asiata who were actually good in flashes last season.

Peterson is still a **** by the way despite his suspension for beating his kid with a switch. He did an interview saying he thinks he's already a HoF lock so he now wants to be the best player ever. He's not even the best player in the NFL right now and that he's the best RB is up for debate so to reach best ever he's going to need some insane numbers. He wants to be better than Walter Payton, Deion Sanders, Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor? I don't even need to have seen those guys play. Their reputation precedes them. AP should give it a rest and try and win for his team rather than his own over inflated ego.

No question. Bryant's an excellent No.2 reciever, with field-stretching speed. The Steelers haven't had such a speedster since Mike Wallace. (Emmanuel Sanders was hardly used in the proper way) When Antonio Brown is being doubled teamed, a burner is getting single covered, The only thing is that Big Ben doesn't seem to spread the ball around that much, which makes it difficult to get targets, but Bryant got a ton of touchdowns last season and was leading rookie WRs in TD grabs for a while.
My father asked me an interesting question today which got me thinking. What happens if the Brady ruling doesn't go how it should?

I think if that happens it'll finally be the time I stop following NFL until things are fixed. I'll still follow college ball but the way things are with the current NFL doesn't sit well with me.
Original post by Malevolent
My father asked me an interesting question today which got me thinking. What happens if the Brady ruling doesn't go how it should?

I think if that happens it'll finally be the time I stop following NFL until things are fixed. I'll still follow college ball but the way things are with the current NFL doesn't sit well with me.

Hm. I know the current situation is difficult for you, but can you turn your back on your team 'until things are fixed' with the NFL? Steelers, Bills, Jags, a Week 4 bye and the Cowboys is more than manageable. Come out 3-1 out of that stretch, with a healthy Brady with a chip on his shoulder the size of Boston and look out rest of the NFL. Worst case situation, Pats are 2-2 in that stretch.

I love college ball but I need my NFL fix, and I couldn't turn my back on my Broncos. No way.
Hm. I know the current situation is difficult for you, but can you turn your back on your team 'until things are fixed' with the NFL? Steelers, Bills, Jags, a Week 4 bye and the Cowboys is more than manageable. Come out 3-1 out of that stretch, with a healthy Brady with a chip on his shoulder the size of Boston and look out rest of the NFL. Worst case situation, Pats are 2-2 in that stretch.

I love college ball but I need my NFL fix, and I couldn't turn my back on my Broncos. No way.

Who do you have them losing to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Steelers, Bills, Jags, a Week 4 bye and the Cowboys is more than manageable. Come out 3-1 out of that stretch, with a healthy Brady with a chip on his shoulder the size of Boston and look out rest of the NFL. Worst case situation, Pats are 2-2 in that stretch.

Gotta disagree... best case scenario is 2-2 and realistically 1-3... the only team that Garoppolo can beat in those first five weeks is the Jags. Steelers will toast a weakened Pats' defence, Bills defence will run riot over Garoppolo and granted Dallas may go down but I still have them winning it.

That being said, it's pretty much consensus that Brady will come back fighting and New England will still be a playoff team. Brady's suspension is no reason to lose hope for the Patriots. If anything, I'd say that it makes for a more exciting season for Pats fans because they're not just expecting to win every game without issue and when the team does return to full strength, they have something to play for.

Original post by Malevolent
I'll still follow college ball but the way things are with the current NFL doesn't sit well with me.

I don't actually follow college football but I really want to start... whenever I watch it I really enjoy it; broadly speaking the offensive philosophies are closer to my own than the Pro Style offences of the NFL. Considering starting watching this season; may follow Stanford.
Reply 1075
The Jags D is pretty nasty. It would not be a fun game for Garappolo by any stretch. They now have better quality corners and more depth, a safety group which is probably still a weakness but it's nowhere near as bad as last year, a collection of really useful linebackers and a D-Line that even without Jared Odrick in it scared people.

The questions are really on the offence. I know it's in Foxborough and a Jags win is unlikely but I don't think Garappolo will find it easy. He's going to have a tough time and Bryan Stork better come to the party and get some help because otherwise Sen'Derrick Marks will just run him over. There is nothing worse for throwing accuracy than interior pressure!
Who do you have them losing to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2-2 is the realistic, but 3-1 is not beyond the realms of possiblity.

Bills -- because it is a division game, in Buffalo, with a very nasty defense, and a competent running game. If they could get a ambulance of competent play from their three headed QB monster they are a threat to take the AFC. Possibly Cowboys if they have a good running game.

I'm just not convinced that the Steelers can get it done in Foxborough in week 1. That Steelers offense sure looked fantastic without Le'veon Bell, and the Steelers' defense is absolutely awful. The Patriots use a bend but don't break philosophy on defense, and it has served them well. The Patriots secondary will surprise a lot of people this year, and that's even before Bill Belichick raids the garbage pile again when all of the cuts are done. I'd reckon Tony Carter would be picked up by New England...again...if he's cut from the Broncos. Adds depth, good in the slot and outside. Bit of a gambler, but good in a man coverage scheme, and he gets picks. Logan Ryan and Malcom Butler are the top in-house options, and yes, the Patriots do need improvement there.

Yes, Bradley Fletcher got burned, but Bill Belichick never misses a trick like that to get them cheap and get the best out of them. Would he, and the Patriots' d-coordinator have him singled covered against DeSean Jackson, Dez Bryant and Jordy Nelson? Nope.

I'm not as sold on the Steelers as everyone else is. They didn't pass the eyeball test last season, especially as they faced the NFC South in a down year, and yet, lost to a struggling Saints team at Heinz Field and a Bucs team, when they were ahead by a lot that would go on to have the number one overall pick, and they loaded up on an equally awful AFC south. They barely squeaked pass a Titans' team that got the second overall pick as well. They were very inconsistent. The question is, are the additions of Doran Grant and Senquez Golson overhaul the secondary? They were great in college, but Golson is undersized and Grant needs a lot of seasoning....
Reply 1077
The Jags staff writer answered my question

Nathan from York, England:
How does Corey Grant look in camp? He's got serious speed but do you think that will transfer into impact on the field now and in the future?
John: Grant has shown serious speed in practice and he showed it in the scrimmage Saturday. I think we’ll start seeing how it translates on kickoff returns in the preseason. He’ll either shine brightly then or not, and that will probably dictate whether or not he’s on the roster. My guess is he’ll shine and that he will be around. We’ll see.

I watched the scrimmage. He returned a kickoff to the end zone but was deemed tackled further back. He really is quick. It's him or Bernard Pierce I think and as good as Bernard has looked Corey offers you a higher ceiling and a different skill set.

It also might be time to start registering fantasy interest. What do you want to play? I'd be happy to admin a league or two if DT isn't here any more to retake that mantle. I'd be up for playing standard, auction and IDP. I liked using NFL.com as the host site too but do share your opinions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000508280/article/steve-smith-says-hell-retire-at-end-of-the-season

It really sucks that this season is Steve Smith Sr.'s last season. First Ballot Hall of Famer in 2021, for sure.
Original post by Wattsy
The Jags staff writer answered my question

Nathan from York, England:
How does Corey Grant look in camp? He's got serious speed but do you think that will transfer into impact on the field now and in the future?
John: Grant has shown serious speed in practice and he showed it in the scrimmage Saturday. I think we’ll start seeing how it translates on kickoff returns in the preseason. He’ll either shine brightly then or not, and that will probably dictate whether or not he’s on the roster. My guess is he’ll shine and that he will be around. We’ll see.

I watched the scrimmage. He returned a kickoff to the end zone but was deemed tackled further back. He really is quick. It's him or Bernard Pierce I think and as good as Bernard has looked Corey offers you a higher ceiling and a different skill set.

It also might be time to start registering fantasy interest. What do you want to play? I'd be happy to admin a league or two if DT isn't here any more to retake that mantle. I'd be up for playing standard, auction and IDP. I liked using NFL.com as the host site too but do share your opinions.

Thanks. I hope he makes it. I really do. He just has to keep flashing more.

Regarding Fantasy, I'm game. NFL.com is fine enough for what it is. Kind of want to keep them all in one place. A vanilla game should be nice, although when I had my auction draft in the league I am administering, I will let you know how it is.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest