The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ruthie_nuggetty
Thank you for your help. I really want to do 4 facilitating subjects for a level which is why I don't want to do psychology. I'm not 100% sure I definitely want to study speech and language anyway so by doing facilitating subjects, I keep my options more open.

Geography is a subject I enjoy and think I could get a good grade in. Also it keeps my options open!

I don't know which one I will drop, if any! Did you enjoy your degree?

The degree was very hard work. And I mean VERY hard work. It's so hard to convey how much work you have to do and how many hours you have to spend doing that work! It's unlike a 'normal' undergraduate degree, as you have so much less free time and isn't so laid back. I wouldn't even consider it a degree really, more like an intense training course! Not that I didn't enjoy it, but so many people go into it with their eyes shut to the demands.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The degree was very hard work. And I mean VERY hard work. It's so hard to convey how much work you have to do and how many hours you have to spend doing that work! It's unlike a 'normal' undergraduate degree, as you have so much less free time and isn't so laid back. I wouldn't even consider it a degree really, more like an intense training course! Not that I didn't enjoy it, but so many people go into it with their eyes shut to the demands.

If you don't mind me asking, what uni did you go to/which course did you do? Also, what are you doing now, are you a speech and language therapist?
If you don't mind me asking, what uni did you go to/which course did you do? Also, what are you doing now, are you a speech and language therapist?

Sorry to but in (again!).

I agree that the course is more intense than a standard undergrad degree - and yes I have only just completed my first year so know it will get harder - but its not unmanageable. I have found the hardest part is the sheer variety of the modules you have to study - but that being said that means there are some areas you will find easier to learn than other aspects so it can balance out.

The variety also keeps it interesting.

I went to Marjon, so the 3.5 year with dysphagia training.

Original post by AmyPilot
Sorry to but in (again!).

I agree that the course is more intense than a standard undergrad degree - and yes I have only just completed my first year so know it will get harder - but its not unmanageable. I have found the hardest part is the sheer variety of the modules you have to study - but that being said that means there are some areas you will find easier to learn than other aspects so it can balance out.

The variety also keeps it interesting.

I wouldn't say it's unmanageable (if it was the degree wouldn't exist in its current format), but be prepared to have little social life and really live every moment for SLT, especially when you start doing concurrent placements (the travelling, resource making, report writing etc.). I had so many drop outs on my course after second year because they weren't prepared for the amount of work and weren't able to commit the time out of lectures to do it.

This isn't to put people off, but to get into the mindset that this work level is standard and expected, and is by no means an easy option (for those applying for the wrong reasons). It is a really interesting course with lots of variety as you say, and you'll quickly find your strengths in the various subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone!

I have a new video on my vlog all about how to prepare for results day: https://youtu.be/6YesSJFdnxI Enjoy!
Reply 3745
Hey guys! I got my results a while back and I've been kind of second guessing my UCAS choices.. I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but I was just wondering how it's going for people who picked Newcastle University as their firm (or insurance). Are they accepting people who missed the grademark? I got 300 UCAS points and I think they ask for 320, I wanted to firm them but wasn't sure it would be worth the risk.. Any input so far?
Hi everyone!

I have a new video on my vlog all about how to prepare for results day: https://youtu.be/6YesSJFdnxI Enjoy!

Great video! Thanks for your time :smile:
Original post by Woro
Hey guys! I got my results a while back and I've been kind of second guessing my UCAS choices.. I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but I was just wondering how it's going for people who picked Newcastle University as their firm (or insurance). Are they accepting people who missed the grademark? I got 300 UCAS points and I think they ask for 320, I wanted to firm them but wasn't sure it would be worth the risk.. Any input so far?

A level results don't come out till Thursday so don't think anyone will be able to answer this question yet.

Is it Newcastle you firmed?

Also isn't Newcastle AAB for A levels - that's 340 points I think
(edited 8 years ago)
@PhoenixFortune What do you think about part-time jobs while studying SLT, I don't think my bursary/student finance will cover all my costs?
Original post by aimeemayes
@PhoenixFortune What do you think about part-time jobs while studying SLT, I don't think my bursary/student finance will cover all my costs?

A few of my cohort had part time jobs, mainly during the weekends, but some did work the odd evening during the week. My cohort isn't that representative, as 70% of the students were mature, and therefore had savings/a flexible existing job/partners that could help support them financially.

I think you just need to make sure that it doesn't affect your university work, especially in the later years of your course, when you have concurrent placements alongside lectures. This means a lot of travelling and prep, which could affect your commitments to a part time job anyway. Most employers in student populated towns/cities are usually pretty flexible.
Original post by rhimair
Hi! BCU is my insurance choice, and I got this email too. I've checked track since I saw it this morning (just in case), and nothing's changed (Marjon's still set as my firm conditional, and BCU as my insurance) and I was really glad when I saw your post, because believe you me, I really did panic. I hope like ShropshireLass says that it's just a generic email from the uni sent out to everyone that holds out some kind of offer with them - because, like you, I've got my sights set on Marjon, although I would be OK with going to BCU (because I'm determined that I want to qualify as an SLT), but I definitely would be gutted. I'm holding out hope for this, because this is pretty much the first proper email/acknowledgement I've got from BCU since I've insuranced them - compared to a constant cycle of emails and letters from my firm!! :biggrin:

I initially thought about emailing the uni on Monday to see what the situation is (especially after reading Phoenix's suggestion that maybe they've sent the emails out prematurely), but I've since reconsidered - I might just wait out until results day and see. Because, really, if I've missed out on a place at Marjon, but been accepted by BCU, then there's nothing that the uni (or I) can do until the 13th. And, if I've been accepted by my firm, then the email won't be relevant anyway!
I don't know...

To complicate things even further, I came home from a holiday last night to a pre-course reading list from my firm choice. And then this...

Why does everything have to be so confusing/frustrating/complicated????!!!!

Yes this year has been nothing but complicating, frustrating and confusing in terms of UCAS. I was on my holiday when i got the email, it did slightly ruin it but only results day will tell then i suppose.

BEST OF LUCK!!
When I applied way back in 2009, I had a similar thing happen to me. I had DMU as my firm, and MMU as my insurance, then I got a letter about 1 week before results day from MMU saying that I had now entered Clearing.

I had no idea what it was on about, so I ignored it, until results day came, and I had been rejected by DMU (well, strictly speaking I had a changed course offer, but this is essentially an SLT rejection) and also rejected by MMU. The MMU communications department obviously were a little too organised, and had sent out the letters prematurely.

This isn't to say that this will happen to you, but these things happen. The only way to know for sure is to ring BCU or find someone else who has BCU as a firm or insurance choice to see if they got the same email.

Thank you, i need to prepare myself for either outcomes
It's officially results day tomorrow! Good luck guys!
I second Jordan's comment!

Good luck to everyone waiting for A2 results :smile:
Original post by CuriousLinguist
Shouldn't take too long for your DBS certificate to come through. I went to a DBS event day in early July and had my DBS certificate sent to me a week and a bit after that. It's with the University now. We get it back though.

As far as the OH clearance goes, I haven't heard back from OH at the university yet either. I sent my form back to them at the end of June, so I guess we will be waiting a bit longer as I think they must be very busy! Hopefully hear from OH before Results Day as don't want it to be a problem with offers/Track/UCAS. If I don't hear back before early next week, I will call them to see what stage they are on with them. I didn't have anything I think would be an issue, but I guess they have a lot to go through, especially for Nursing courses.

Can't believe it's Results Day a week today. I can't wait to start the course! Lots of nervous excitement for results. I have to go and collect my results this time - last year they were emailed and posted to me. I think I won't be sleeping much Wednesday night! Always nerve wracking at any age.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for results next week and great to see Track offers updating already!

Good luck for your A level result tomorrow, will be thinking about you!

Good luck to all waiting, fingers crossed you get the results you need.
Anyone seen the clearing list on UCAS - there seems to be a few options if required
Anyone seen the clearing list on UCAS - there seems to be a few options if required

I've seen it's on Clearing at City.

Does anyone know how lenient they'll be on entry grades or what type of grades people have got in with via Clearing in the past?
Original post by Petulia
I've seen it's on Clearing at City.

Does anyone know how lenient they'll be on entry grades or what type of grades people have got in with via Clearing in the past?

Hi

Don't know how lenient they are for sure but when I applied for SLT last year and looked at the previous years thread (so 2013?) sure someone got in with AAB or ABB - something like that anyway (don't City have very high requirements initially?)

Surprised to see Sheffield on the list too along with Marjon. Strathclyde and City I am less surprised about.
Hi

Don't know how lenient they are for sure but when I applied for SLT last year and looked at the previous years thread (so 2013?) sure someone got in with AAB or ABB - something like that anyway (don't City have very high requirements initially?)

Surprised to see Sheffield on the list too along with Marjon. Strathclyde and City I am less surprised about.

320 UCAS tariff points. Typically gained from 'A' Level grades ABB or BBB plus an 'AS' Level.

That's what it says under requirements for the course on UCAS, but I'm not sure if this is the usual requirements or if they've updated this information for Clearing, as I didn't apply to City initially
Only one uni for clearing.. Either a good sign that most of us are in, or that I'm absolutely screwed

Quick Reply

Latest