The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kj0511
Have you graduated yet or are you applying in your second year? I think my main concern is my academics to be honest. I have what they ask for, just kind of at the bottom end so I really need everything else to be great and I'm just not convinced I'm going to get there. I am applying after just graduating so luckily I can put all my time into this, but motivation for something I'm almost certainly not going to get is hard.

its really hard going for it! But someone's got to get in! Its just the ukcat that may hold me back! I haven't done it yet, but I'm really worried about it! How on earth do people get even close to 900 I'll never know.
Reply 1221
Original post by Richardjamesford
its really hard going for it! But someone's got to get in! Its just the ukcat that may hold me back! I haven't done it yet, but I'm really worried about it! How on earth do people get even close to 900 I'll never know.

How's your revision for it going? I did a practice before I started any revision and got 650 but I want to get at least 750 and I'm really worried I won't get there.
Reply 1222
Original post by DoeADeer
Nah I've not graduated yet. Starting my third year in September. Me too, I'm predicted 2.1, but not a strong 2.1 so I'm hoping I'll do well on the UKCAT to make up for it. Yeah, I've been so unmotivated during this degree as it's not the degree I wanted to really do so it's been difficult to want to study and do well when all I want to do is medicine and now I see I still don't stand much chance. I understand where you're coming from though.

yeah I'm in exactly the same position just a year later! How has your tutor been about your application?
Original post by kj0511
yeah I'm in exactly the same position just a year later! How has your tutor been about your application?

My tutor's done nothing. My original tutor left after my first year so I have a new tutor who I barely know. I told the new one last year that I wanted to apply for medicine the following year, but overall she didn't seem to know much about the medicine application process when I was discussing it with her, although she did mention that she was with one of her tutees submitting their application on the deadline day and warned me not to do the same haha... I'll meet up with her when I go back to uni so we'll probably talk about it more then. I think she'll just give me a generic reference tbh. What are tutors supposed to be like with applications haha?
Original post by kj0511
How's your revision for it going? I did a practice before I started any revision and got 650 but I want to get at least 750 and I'm really worried I won't get there.

650 before revision!? That's good! Yeah I need 750 plus really too. Haven't had anything over 700 in practice yet though. Just hoping the average scores this year are all low!! When's yours? Any part you're finding extra difficult? Im struggling with vr (the reading comprehension questions), and being able to answer the maths quick enough! AR is pretty okay I think.
Reply 1225
Original post by DoeADeer
My tutor's done nothing. My original tutor left after my first year so I have a new tutor who I barely know. I told the new one last year that I wanted to apply for medicine the following year, but overall she didn't seem to know much about the medicine application process when I was discussing it with her, although she did mention that she was with one of her tutees submitting their application on the deadline day and warned me not to do the same haha... I'll meet up with her when I go back to uni so we'll probably talk about it more then. I think she'll just give me a generic reference tbh. What are tutors supposed to be like with applications haha?

I dont know i guess haha. I don't really know my personal tutor that well because i never really needed him but having done third year I was lucky that I had the option of choosing my dissertation supervisor and since chatting to her about it she seems really supportive and happy to help and she was part of my unis medicine faculty so hopefully she can offer some good advice!
Reply 1226
650 before revision!? That's good! Yeah I need 750 plus really too. Haven't had anything over 700 in practice yet though. Just hoping the average scores this year are all low!! When's yours? Any part you're finding extra difficult? Im struggling with vr (the reading comprehension questions), and being able to answer the maths quick enough! AR is pretty okay I think.

I literally cannot do the maths quick enough. I can't even type it in the calculator quick enough haha! I think the VR is ok, the AR is ok, QR I'm just too slow :frown: but its DA I find really hard to be honest. and the SJT is frustrating because a lot of the time I'm just slightly off, like putting really inappropriate when its just not ideal or whatever.
Original post by kj0511

Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career you really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Just completely Medify Mock (Easy)....

VR=21/44 (480):cry::cry2:
QR=20/36 (620)
AR=41/55 (780)
DA=18/28 (740)
STJ= (670)

How the hell do I improve VR.....I'm struggling so much and that was the easy one!!!
Please someone tell me that the VR is easier in the real thing!
Reply 1229
Original post by Mr Men
Graduate Entry is a tough route to go down that's true but people do have to be given places! I was in the exact same situation as you guys last year.

I was going to apply this year with you guys as that would mean that I could get more work experience for my application as I have now graduated. In the end I decided to apply last year to see what the process was like with no real hope of gaining a place. My UKCAT was 640 average so that instantly stopped me applying for any of those unis which then meant I had to face the dreaded GAMSAT.

After sitting the GAMSAT and BMAT I applied right on the deadline day not knowing the results to the tests (as you don't get them till November if I remember correctly) and my work experience at that point equated to 1 week shadowing a junior doctor.

I managed to secure interviews at 2 universities at which point I had an extra week shadowing a consultant and 3 months volunteering on a ward and was placed on the waiting list for both.

A couple of months later I was rejected from one of the waiting lists leaving me with just one choice left. I wasn't very hopeful as you can imagine. However a couple of months after the initial offers were given out I had a phone call saying I had gained a place on the course!

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't a quick and straight forward process. Don't give up hope as if it's the career toy really want to do then you'll do it. Don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful this year as you can always reapply. Think of it as a way to get familiar with the application/interview process.

Finally I would just like to say a big good luck to everyone applying this year! Keep powering through!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thats amazing! The kind of miracle I'm hoping for haha. I completely missed the deadline for the GAMSAT so if(/when!) I'm unsuccessful I think I'm going to do it next year and try again. Do you mind asking where you applied? Did you apply to any UKCAT unis?
Thank you, this kind of post makes me realise it is possible!!
Original post by kj0511
Ah thats amazing! The kind of miracle I'm hoping for haha. I completely missed the deadline for the GAMSAT so if(/when!) I'm unsuccessful I think I'm going to do it next year and try again. Do you mind asking where you applied? Did you apply to any UKCAT unis?
Thank you, this kind of post makes me realise it is possible!!

The thing with UKCAT for me was the time pressure. I just kept running out of time! I actually found GAMSAT easier as for every section I would have around 15 mins spare but that might be due to my science background.

I applied to St George's, Oxford, Swansea and Nottingham. None of them were UKCAT unis as the trend seemed to be that you needed at least 700 to have a shot.

It's definitely possible! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
The thing with UKCAT for me was the time pressure. I just kept running out of time! I actually found GAMSAT easier as for every section I would have around 15 mins spare but that might be due to my science background.

I applied to St George's, Oxford, Swansea and Nottingham. None of them were UKCAT unis as the trend seemed to be that you needed at least 700 to have a shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't really thought about trying the GAMSAT... I don't really have a science background... do you think I would find it tough? Is it something that can be easily revised for? What kind of level is it?
Original post by Mr Men

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's definitely great to hear! I'm studying for the GAMSAT and even with my degree in not getting the best marks in section 3.

How long did you study for the GAMSAT if I may ask? :smile:
That Medify Easy one was awful. I completely failed it (440 on QR??) but did much better on the Medium and Hard ones. I sat my UKCAT on Saturday and got 3000 (750) so enough for Warwick fingers crossed. Don't worry about that practice- if you got those results, you should do really well :smile:

Original post by Josh-Love
Just completely Medify Mock (Easy)....

VR=21/44 (480):cry::cry2:
QR=20/36 (620)
AR=41/55 (780)
DA=18/28 (740)
STJ= (670)

How the hell do I improve VR.....I'm struggling so much and that was the easy one!!!
Please someone tell me that the VR is easier in the real thing!
I haven't really thought about trying the GAMSAT... I don't really have a science background... do you think I would find it tough? Is it something that can be easily revised for? What kind of level is it?

The first section of the GAMSAT is 1.5 hours long and is very similar to the VR section of UKCAT. The second section is 1 hour long and you have to write two essays, each of 30 mins duration. The final section is 3 hours long and tests your knowledge of chemistry, biology and physics. They say its up to 1st year undergrad level but I think you would be fine with revising from the A-Level revision guides.

It's definitely something that can be revised for. I recommend getting something called the Griffiths GAMSAT review.

If it puts you at ease around 1/3 of the people starting in my year are from none science backgrounds. I'm living with someone who graduated from a history degree for example.
Original post by Natha_Lite
That's definitely great to hear! I'm studying for the GAMSAT and even with my degree in not getting the best marks in section 3.

How long did you study for the GAMSAT if I may ask? :smile:

I was actually quite bad and didn't really revise that long for the GAMSAT, probably around 1-2 weeks. I got 58, 58, 61 with an average of 61 because of the extra weighting in section 3.
Hi!
I have a 2:1 or First (it's a spanish degree) degree in nursing. I have been working full time for the last year in medicine, diabetes clinic, surgery, theatres and HDU. I have also shadowed and assisted doctors.
I am applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and Manchester mainly because they are the ones that take my English Certificates.

I am finding the AR of the UKCAT so difficutl, I cannot manage to get more than 55% on medify :frown:
Reply 1237
This is going to sound pretty stupid i think because its only a month away and I have done no revision because I wasn't going to sit it but is it worth applying to sit the gamsat? The final final deadline is today but I'm so worried my UKCAT won't cut it. My degree was pharmacology so I'm from a science background and i know its expensive by I'm being desperate haha. Basically my question is would i have time to revise for both? I don't know what to do!!
Original post by kj0511
This is going to sound pretty stupid i think because its only a month away and I have done no revision because I wasn't going to sit it but is it worth applying to sit the gamsat? The final final deadline is today but I'm so worried my UKCAT won't cut it. My degree was pharmacology so I'm from a science background and i know its expensive by I'm being desperate haha. Basically my question is would i have time to revise for both? I don't know what to do!!

Have you done your UKCAT already? From what I've seen around 1 month of GAMSAT revision is pushing it but with a scientific degree you should be more comfortable with section 3 at least.
Reply 1239
Original post by kj0511

With a Pharm degree you should manage fine. Most of the Biology content is already in the question and the Chem should be right up your street, just brush up a bit.
Then just essay practice and S1 you should be ok. I think a decent score is achievable with some work. Wouldn't want to do it alongside a job though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending