The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ivoryfall
I'm applying for Chinese. My difficulty is making it sound enthusiastic but also intelligent. I am great at lots of descriptive, vibrant waffle, but that won't get me into Oxford :,)
x

Yeah, i got a basic structure so far but i just need to be able to reel my reader in with a 2-line introduction...
Original post by adynaton
The most unnerving task in the history of unnerving tasks

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm just worried about results day aswell...
Original post by tilly5798

Aren't we all... D:

I'm having mini breakdowns every hour. Ha. I don't think I'll get an A in anything . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, good luck with that! Try not to worry too much, there's nothing you can do now :smile: What subjects did you take btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1345
Original post by Edminzodo
What exam board do you do Mandarin with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

CIE
When choosing a college, is it worth playing the numbers game and working out which college take more students from state/private schools, have the lowest application numbers etc? I think, if I apply, I'll just apply to the one I liked the best when I visited
Original post by colourtheory
This is so misleading!!!! I "only" achieved 2A*'s and 6A's at GCSE and yet have a place to study at Oxford in October. There is NO USE applying to a university based upon rumours which suggest that they look more closely at GCSEs... bear in mind that Oxford have the benefit of additional admissions tests so they look at much more than your GCSEs which are surpassed in the main by your A-Level results / predictions. Sorry for my tone but I really wouldn't limit yourself because of what you have heard! Goodluck!

Thats the best thing ive read for a long time, if you dont mind me asking, what course are you applying for?
Original post by TARS
CIE

I do English with CIE. Are you going to drop one of your subjects next year?
I'm sure this is silly but I'm a tiny bit worried :s-smilie:

Do you think it might be a problem if none of the books I refer to in the PS are from any of the suggested reading lists for my course?
Original post by LoveToArgue
When choosing a college, is it worth playing the numbers game and working out which college take more students from state/private schools, have the lowest application numbers etc? I think, if I apply, I'll just apply to the one I liked the best when I visited

From what I've been told, the only thing we should base our choice on is whether we like the college or not.

Do you think it might be a problem if none of the books I refer to in the PS are from any of the suggested reading lists for my course?

No, it shouldn't be. I think you should just be able to explain what you've read and how it's relevant in your subject area :smile:

That's what I'm hoping for anyway :tongue:

Not an issue at all. Tutors will want to see evidence of your own interest in the subject, everybody will probably have read one or two from the reading list so it's difficult to stand out when you're just talking about books which were given to you. Personally think it's better to find your own books and talk about what you enjoyed.

I only gave a cursory mention in my PS to one book on the suggested list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LoveToArgue

Not at all - apply where you like the look of. Statistics mean nothing when it comes to applying as if you're good enough, you'll get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enaayrah
No, it shouldn't be. I think you should just be able to explain what you've read and how it's relevant in your subject area :smile:

That's what I'm hoping for anyway :tongue:

My thoughts exactly, thanks!

What course are you applying for btw? :smile:
Reply 1355
Are teachers allowed to look at a personal statement?
Original post by aasvogel
Not an issue at all. Tutors will want to see evidence of your own interest in the subject, everybody will probably have read one or two from the reading list so it's difficult to stand out when you're just talking about books which were given to you. Personally think it's better to find your own books and talk about what you enjoyed.

I only gave a cursory mention in my PS to one book on the suggested list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, I haven't read any of the books on the reading list. I just wanted to follow my own interests but now I'm starting to regret my decision...

Btw, if I recall correctly it was you who recommended me to read Kofi Annan's Interventions a while back wasn't it? I absolutely adored it! I thought it was brilliant, thank you very much. :biggrin:
Thing is, I haven't read any of the books on the reading list. I just wanted to follow my own interests but now I'm starting to regret my decision...

Btw, if I recall correctly it was you who recommended me to read Kofi Annan's Interventions a while back wasn't it? I absolutely adored it! I thought it was brilliant, thank you very much. :biggrin:

Honestly don't worry at all, I only read one and doubt it made any difference to my application. Most of those books on the reading list are only introductory texts.

No problem, glad you enjoyed it! I'm annoyed I hadn't read it before I applied or I definitely would have talked about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My thoughts exactly, thanks!

What course are you applying for btw? :smile:

Biochemistry, most likely :h:

All depends on results :afraid:
Original post by aasvogel
Honestly don't worry at all, I only read one and doubt it made any difference to my application. Most of those books on the reading list are only introductory texts.

No problem, glad you enjoyed it! I'm annoyed I hadn't read it before I applied or I definitely would have talked about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great, hope everything will work out fine. Thanks!

That's probably what I'm going to do, it links perfectly to the other texts I intend to include in the ps :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending