The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am currently ****ting bricks the size of small family hatchbacks. I already have two As and an A* in Maths, and I know S2 was pretty much 100%, but I need C3 and C4 to be good enough for an A.
Original post by Yaz97
I'm sorry because I know this will panic everyone but i feel like I should share this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/11791625/Schools-raise-fears-over-mistakes-in-A-level-marks.html

Get those emergency remark forms ready! :s-smilie:
Original post by aasvogel
I wonder if they know this week who missed their offer, those places can then be filled sooner? So was hoping we'd know early on Thursday!

I'm excited to find my college (if I meet the offer ofc) but not too fussed where I end up (praying though it isn't a small college though! Or a theological one...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I think Oxford gets the results today (or certainly in the next few days) although that doesn't always mean things are sorted by Thursday (but they might be).
Does anyone know when the open offer holders get their college confirmed: is it on results day or likely to be a few days after?
Good luck for Thursday everyone! :smile:
Reply 1305
Original post by cannonball.
Does anyone know when the open offer holders get their college confirmed: is it on results day or likely to be a few days after?

Mine was confirmed a couple of months ago. A letter just arrived out of the blue! I think that's fairly unusual though - someone with a place must have dropped out.

I remember being told in an email that it would be confirmed "soon after" results.

Good luck with your results, and hope you like the college you get into :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ---ium
Mine was confirmed a couple of months ago. A letter just arrived out of the blue! I think that's fairly unusual though - someone with a place must have dropped out.

I remember being told in an email that it would be confirmed "soon after" results.

Ah lucky! Which college did you end up at and what subject? :smile:
Reply 1307
Ah lucky! Which college did you end up at and what subject? :smile:

Chemistry at Catz (which is where I applied so even better!)
Reply 1308
Original post by GailQ
Good luck for Thursday everyone! :smile:

Good luck to you too (if you're waiting for results)!

From memory, people before have had to wait up to a few days, totally depends how efficient the various admissions people are at talking to each other! They will try to let you know ASAP though
Original post by Yaz97
Good luck to you too (if you're waiting for results)!

Thanks, but I actually did the IB so my worries are over :smile: One of the very few perks of doing it :rolleyes:
Is anyone slightly regretting choosing Oxford as their firm? As results day looms, I’m considering whether it really was the most sagacious decision to automatically accept a conditional offer. What I am now finding off-putting is that one, I assume, has to work very hard for an Oxford degree, whereas one need not do as much work to earn an equivalent degree from a respectable RG university. Of course the counter-argument runs, “But it’s a degree from Oxford. You get to write (Oxon) after your name!” So what? According to this article, Oxford doesn’t even feature on the 2015 list of top universities for employability. Why struggle through the workload associated with an Oxford degree when one can get just as auspicious a degree, with less hassle, from another university?

I for no moment assume that I will meet the requirements of my offer, however, should I do so, I wonder whether it might be wise to pause for a moment and look at the alternatives to Oxford, perhaps even approaching my insurance: KCL. I simply write this being curious to know if others have had similar thoughts?
Original post by ironbridge84
Is anyone slightly regretting choosing Oxford as their firm? As results day looms, I’m considering whether it really was the most sagacious decision to automatically accept a conditional offer. What I am now finding off-putting is that one, I assume, has to work very hard for an Oxford degree, whereas one need not do as much work to earn an equivalent degree from a respectable RG university. Of course the counter-argument runs, “But it’s a degree from Oxford. You get to write (Oxon) after your name!” So what? According to this article, Oxford doesn’t even feature on the 2015 list of top universities for employability. Why struggle through the workload associated with an Oxford degree when one can get just as auspicious a degree, with less hassle, from another university?

I for no moment assume that I will meet the requirements of my offer, however, should I do so, I wonder whether it might be wise to pause for a moment and look at the alternatives to Oxford, perhaps even approaching my insurance: KCL. I simply write this being curious to know if others have had similar thoughts?

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying I'm regretting choosing Oxford but I definitely have become worried about the pressure. Ultimately I didn't choose Oxford for employability, I chose it for the course and the convenience of accommodation and catering but I'm really hoping that I don't get slaughtered with the pressure of working there since I already found the stress of A Levels difficult enough to deal with. I'm still hoping I get in but I don't think I'd be as devastated if I didn't as I would have before. The opportunities at UCL probably wouldn't be as good for me as they would be at Oxford but it'd probably make my life more pleasant...
(edited 8 years ago)

Feeling similar, although not so much 'regret' about firming Oxford (as this has been a goal of mine for a very long time), more a case of feeling incredibly apprehensive about what I'm getting myself into, and whether I'm even good enough in the first place. The mixed reports I've received from Oxford students hasn't helped either.. for example one student claims that 25 hours a week of work for Law is the norm, another insisted 70 hours...). I guess it's comforting to know that somebody in the year above me has had 'the best year of his life' there, although on the contrary it is somewhat worrying that another somebody in the year above me regards Oxford as the worst decision of their life..
When are college parents allocated?
Original post by anonlad

They've probably been decided by now, but could change on results day - so you'll be contacted by them probably in the weeks following results day.
Hey, anyone knows what is in the medicine reading list?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonlad

Original post by Lucilou101
They've probably been decided by now, but could change on results day - so you'll be contacted by them probably in the weeks following results day.

It also varies by colleges - I know a few colleges assign them soon after offers are made, but at the other extreme, some wait until about a week after results day, so they are sure who is coming.
Is anyone slightly regretting choosing Oxford as their firm?

Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying I'm regretting choosing Oxford but I definitely have become worried about the pressure.

Original post by anonlad
Feeling similar, although not so much 'regret' about firming Oxford (as this has been a goal of mine for a very long time), more a case of feeling incredibly apprehensive about what I'm getting myself into, and whether I'm even good enough in the first place.

Don't worry people, only a couple more days and all of our last-minute panicking will disappear :smile:

We've all been through the tests and the interviews, and having an offer means that tutors think we will be able to cope with whatever Oxford life might throw at us, so I think it's OK to look forward to the future. After all, we've all had to work really hard to get here - let's enjoy it!

Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying I'm regretting choosing Oxford but I definitely have become worried about the pressure. Ultimately I didn't choose Oxford for employability, I chose it for the course and the convenience of accommodation and catering but I'm really hoping that I don't get slaughtered with the pressure of working there since I already found the stress of A Levels difficult enough to deal with. I'm still hoping I get in but I don't think I'd be as devastated if I didn't as I would have before. The opportunities at UCL probably wouldn't be as good for me as they would be at Oxford but it'd probably make my life more pleasant...

Original post by anonlad
Feeling similar, although not so much 'regret' about firming Oxford (as this has been a goal of mine for a very long time), more a case of feeling incredibly apprehensive about what I'm getting myself into, and whether I'm even good enough in the first place. The mixed reports I've received from Oxford students hasn't helped either.. for example one student claims that 25 hours a week of work for Law is the norm, another insisted 70 hours...). I guess it's comforting to know that somebody in the year above me has had 'the best year of his life' there, although on the contrary it is somewhat worrying that another somebody in the year above me regards Oxford as the worst decision of their life..

Don't worry, you're all just apprehensive which is understandable. I recognise the hard work I'll have to put in, and I'm looking forward to it. It'll be an opportunity to develop myself as a person. I could have chosen the easier way, but I guess I'be always liked a challenge.. Now I need to meet my offer..

Latest

Trending

Trending