The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs did you take?

Poll

How many GCSEs did you take?

Interested to see what the TSR average is :smile:

Also, please reply to say how you are finding / found taking that number.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I did 12. Was originally meant to do 13 but decided not to do further maths in the end. I found it manageable but to be honest it's more subjects than are necessary and taking extras meant I had after school lessons and 29 exams. I don't regret doing triple science or double language but I think music was probably a bit pointless, seeing as I took it as an extra and we were barely taught anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tryrevise
I did 12. Was originally meant to do 13 but decided not to do further maths in the end. I found it manageable but to be honest it's more subjects than are necessary and taking extras meant I had after school lessons and 29 exams. I don't regret doing triple science or double language but I think music was probably a bit pointless, seeing as I took it as an extra and we were barely taught anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's quite interesting... did you at least enjoy music?
Reply 3
I took 15 GCSEs, two of them in Year 10 and the rest in Year 11. The worst part about it was sitting 6 papers in one day, but other than that I am happy with how things turned out.
In total 12

2 in year 9, 1 in year 10 and the rest in year 11
(edited 8 years ago)
I got on to triple science which didn't take any options up. I then did 4 subjects for my options as well as English language and literature which totaled 10 Gcses. In year 9 they made everyone do this pointless gcse, expressive arts, which I somehow got a B in despite doing the coursework really badly.. In year 11, I asked to do gcse statistics with the year 10s who started taking it :tongue: I shall be awaiting these other 11 grades on the 20th :3
I took 10 GCSEs and 4 BTECs.

6 in year 9,
2 in year 10,
6 in year 11.
I took 8 GCSE's. All done during year 10 and 11 :smile:

I originally did 9 GCSE's and was advised to do so by my the head of key stage 4 back then because of multiple hospitalisations in year 9. So to keep relatively stress free, I did 9 GCSE's only realising that H.E. (also known as Food Tech) was a bit too strenuous for me because I found it very difficult to stand up for even an hour cutting vegetables, or meat and I would feel really dizzy, so I dropped out and ended up doing 8 subjects instead.
English lit
English lang
Double Science
Double Science
Maths
Design & technology
Art
Business Studies
Geography

I voted 8 but typing them out I realise I did 9 :o: maybe they'll take back my A in maths :biggrin:

In my defence this was a bazillion years ago before most TSR users were born (1995). We didn't have any choices around the first 6...the last 3 were options. The year before and after had less choice - they had to take a language too.
I have three:

English Lit
English Lang
Maths(which I did at the same time as my AS levels)

:biggrin:

Very limiting, I would not recommend. Make sure you get a good range of GCSEs in solid subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Turtlebunny
expressive arts

That sounds so fun! But I guess, if you didn't really enjoy it, it feels like something you could have dropped.
I did ten GCSEs 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Triple science
Economics
maths
English
Greek
Geography
History
I did 10 GCSEs and then some IT thing, which I'm not sure if it was an actual GCSE, but ah well :tongue:

I did Triple Science, Maths, English Lit and Lang, IT, Resistant Material (we had to take a technology subject) and then my options were Art, History and Geography :smile:

I also started RE, but due to person reasons was allowed to drop that to relief some stress.
I only did 8 GCSE's, and only had 4 optional courses 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I have three:

English Lit
English Lang
Maths(which I did at the same time as my AS levels)

:biggrin:

Very limiting, I would not recommend. Make sure you get a good range of GCSEs in solid subjects.

You only did three GCSEs? :lolwut:

I guess it's different for monkeys.

I think I did 12 for some reason. Separate science counted as three so I ended up doing more than most people. It was funny really as my friend who went to a fancy pants private school only did like 9. His mum was very cross that she was paying for a superior education but her son was doing less GCSEs than the kid at a state school *shudders*
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow - this is so strange to hear. Most people are talking about a) having taken lots and lots of exams and b) having taken several in Years 9 and 10. I took 11 GCSEs in all, and I only took 1 in Year 10; the rest were Year 11.

I did Maths, English Lit. , English Lang., Philosophy of Religion/Ethics (the Year 10 one), Triple Science (Bio, Chem, Physics), German, Music, History and Computer Science. Some of them were iGCSEs and it was spread across all the exam boards.

I don't know if it's something to do with the nature of my school or what. *shrugs*
Reply 18
Initially was supposed to 11 but I dropped Citizenship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I did 13.

Quick Reply

Latest