The Student Room Group

PGCE - student accounts?

Has anyone here tried to open a student account when they are doing a PGCE? I have a graduate account with NatWest, I graduated in 2008 and changed my account from student to graduate. Went back in today to ask if I can change it back to a student account as I'm going back to uni and was told no. I asked if I could go to any other bank and open up a student account and the woman said no you have to be doing a course at least 2 years long to get a student account.

I then walked in to Santander and was told I could "probably" open a student account there on a 1 year course (I couldn't stay an actually sort it as I had to be elsewhere, will try tomorrow). However the woman didn't look particuarly certain!

Any experience with this?
I have a student account at the moment with Halifax (I graduated this year) and am starting a PGCE in September. When I asked about it they said I just needed to bring confirmation that I'll be a student next year and they'll keep my account as a student one, it didn't matter how long the course was and that it was postgraduate. But it might well be different as its just extending the account I already have? I haven't actually taken my GTTR letters in though so it might not be as simple as I've been told it is!
I got a student with Lloyds but it's an EU student account and I just had to show them my pgce confirmation letter.
Reply 3
Well hopefully I will be ok then. Nothing will give me more pleasure than closing my NatWest account just as it gets in to credit!
Reply 4
I phoned Lloyds and they said it'sup to your individual branch and that I will need to go into my individual branch with my UCAS confirmation letter to find out whether I can have a student account again or not.
Reply 5
Please, from personal experience stay away from Santander - through an internal error - I have just graduated with 2 student accounts from the same bank (Santander)! Long story but trying to resolve the issue is proving to be a difficult task!
I have looked at some banks which offer a postgraduate account... I've not attempted to open one yet though! I need confirmation through for the MEC which I'm doing first!
Reply 7
I have been into every highstreet bank to find one that would give me a student account for my PGCE year. I got a flat out No from Lloyds and Natwest, and a maybe from Halifax (but stey said I could only get a max of £500 overdraft). The most luck I have had was with Barklays who said yes but again said I'm only likely to get between £500 and £1000 overdraft. The most promising bank was HSBC who state in their terms that they will take those studying post grad, including PGCE. They also said I could get up to £3000 overdraft depending on personal circumstances and credit check.... So I am going to go back there to open the account.

On top of a student account, if you have graduated within the last 3 years you are also eligible to have a graduate account at most banks. I found Lloyds bank the most promising for that, and I should be able to open both a student and a graduate account with two separate banks in order to make the most out of two interest-free overdrafts. Beware though, that some banks may ask to make sure you don't have more than one student account etc.
Reply 8
Original post by asarah88
I have been into every highstreet bank to find one that would give me a student account for my PGCE year. I got a flat out No from Lloyds and Natwest, and a maybe from Halifax (but stey said I could only get a max of £500 overdraft). The most luck I have had was with Barklays who said yes but again said I'm only likely to get between £500 and £1000 overdraft. The most promising bank was HSBC who state in their terms that they will take those studying post grad, including PGCE. They also said I could get up to £3000 overdraft depending on personal circumstances and credit check.... So I am going to go back there to open the account.

On top of a student account, if you have graduated within the last 3 years you are also eligible to have a graduate account at most banks. I found Lloyds bank the most promising for that, and I should be able to open both a student and a graduate account with two separate banks in order to make the most out of two interest-free overdrafts. Beware though, that some banks may ask to make sure you don't have more than one student account etc.

Natwest said no? Really? I looked online and their website says they do a student account for one year postgraduate courses and I was planning to go in this week and open an account :-/
Hmm OK looks like I'll have to go for HSBC or Barclays then. Either way I need a student account for the year as I graduated 6 years ago and I pay £1 a day for my overdraft (Halifax) and I need to not be doing that this year with money being so tight.
Original post by modgepodge
Has anyone here tried to open a student account when they are doing a PGCE? I have a graduate account with NatWest, I graduated in 2008 and changed my account from student to graduate. Went back in today to ask if I can change it back to a student account as I'm going back to uni and was told no. I asked if I could go to any other bank and open up a student account and the woman said no you have to be doing a course at least 2 years long to get a student account.

I then walked in to Santander and was told I could "probably" open a student account there on a 1 year course (I couldn't stay an actually sort it as I had to be elsewhere, will try tomorrow). However the woman didn't look particuarly certain!

Any experience with this?

I had a student account with HSBC from 2006-2011 (4 year degree then MA). It then became a graduate account and my overdraft allowance dropped, but when I started my PGCE in September 2012 I showed them confirmation that I was a student again and they changed it back to a student account which meant I had a £2000 interest free overdraft allowance.

It was no hassle - I just said I would be a student again so needed my account changing, gave them confirmation of student status, and it was sorted.

It went back to a graduate account at the end of my PGCE and it has now just changed to a regular bank account, 2 years later. It's definitely been worth being on the student/graduate account as it meant I had a £1,500 interest free overdraft in my NQT year and a £1000 interest free overdraft the year after that. Now, about to start my 3rd year of teaching, I'm more financially stable and should be fine without dipping into the overdraft anymore.
Reply 10
Original post by myrtille
I had a student account with HSBC from 2006-2011 (4 year degree then MA). It then became a graduate account and my overdraft allowance dropped, but when I started my PGCE in September 2012 I showed them confirmation that I was a student again and they changed it back to a student account which meant I had a £2000 interest free overdraft allowance.

It was no hassle - I just said I would be a student again so needed my account changing, gave them confirmation of student status, and it was sorted.

It went back to a graduate account at the end of my PGCE and it has now just changed to a regular bank account, 2 years later. It's definitely been worth being on the student/graduate account as it meant I had a £1,500 interest free overdraft in my NQT year and a £1000 interest free overdraft the year after that. Now, about to start my 3rd year of teaching, I'm more financially stable and should be fine without dipping into the overdraft anymore.

This is amazing that HSBC would let you do that, as I had a similar situation with Natwest, where I was a student then graduate. When I went to them to ask to either convert it back to student, or extend my graduate benefits for another year, they refused and were really unhelpful! ... I ended up closing all my accounts with Natwest. I guess HSBC are a much friendlier and more helpful bank!
Reply 11
Original post by Zoe_88
Natwest said no? Really? I looked online and their website says they do a student account for one year postgraduate courses and I was planning to go in this week and open an account :-/
Hmm OK looks like I'll have to go for HSBC or Barclays then. Either way I need a student account for the year as I graduated 6 years ago and I pay £1 a day for my overdraft (Halifax) and I need to not be doing that this year with money being so tight.

I'm afraid that Natwest told me that their terms state that you have to be studying on a course that lasts no less than two years, so my PGCE course didn't qualify.. You should have some luck with HSBC or Barclays; I am going into HSBC later today to open the account. I have also heard that Santander will offer a student account but when I went in they were so rude and disinterested that I didn't bother to pursue it!

I'm the same in that money is going to be tight so I really need the highest interest-free overdraft I can get!
Reply 12
I'm afraid that Natwest told me that their terms state that you have to be studying on a course that lasts no less than two years, so my PGCE course didn't qualify.. You should have some luck with HSBC or Barclays; I am going into HSBC later today to open the account. I have also heard that Santander will offer a student account but when I went in they were so rude and disinterested that I didn't bother to pursue it!

I'm the same in that money is going to be tight so I really need the highest interest-free overdraft I can get!

That's disheartening. I also saw the Santander account on their website but haven't heard good things about them. HSBC it is :-) do you just have to take proof of you being on the course and ID with you?

Natwest changed my account back from a graduate account to a student account for my PGCE about a month ago...
Reply 14
I've checked the HSBC site and it says you have to have completed your undergraduate degree within the last two years to open a postgrad account, which I have not. Eurgh. I'll hopefully be able to get in with Barclays. I wish things were as simple for postgrads as they were for undergrads!
Santender has a postgraduate account. As a very mature student (graudated more than 10 yrs ago and has a mortgage) I got approved on the phone quite quickly and the card arrived in a few days. They give you £250 interest-free OD initially then £1500 when you're paid in £500 (not tested that yet as I'm still waiting for my student finance).
Reply 16
Original post by hana&feather
Santender has a postgraduate account. As a very mature student (graudated more than 10 yrs ago and has a mortgage) I got approved on the phone quite quickly and the card arrived in a few days. They give you £250 interest-free OD initially then £1500 when you're paid in £500 (not tested that yet as I'm still waiting for my student finance).

Interesting. Thank you for this. I may give Santander a go then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending