The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
Biochemistry, most likely :h:

All depends on results :afraid:

Sounds very interesting!

I'm sure you'll be just fine :u:
Original post by LoveToArgue
When choosing a college, is it worth playing the numbers game and working out which college take more students from state/private schools, have the lowest application numbers etc? I think, if I apply, I'll just apply to the one I liked the best when I visited

It's a very common misconception that you can use numbers to your advantage when applying to colleges at Oxford. The colleges all confer with one another before handing out offers anyway so the only thing you can do to increase your chances of getting in is to make yourself a better candidate for your course. They will take you if you present what they are looking for, regardless of which college you apply to. So just apply to the college that you like the most - remember, it will be your home and hub for the duration of your degree.
Reply 1362
Original post by Edminzodo
I do English with CIE. Are you going to drop one of your subjects next year?

drop chemistry/Chinese
Original post by iBall
Hi,

How did this statistic vary for E&M?

Also do you have figures for the GCSE range of applicants admitted/interviewed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For E&M, candidates applying to us and invited for interview by an Oxford college achieved the following scores:

TSA problem solving: min 42, max 79, median 62
TSA critical thinking: min 48, max 78, median 65
TSA essay: min 45, max 70, median 62
TSA overall: min 50, max 75, median 63

For all subjects, the GCSE A* profiles are as follows:
a) any interview: min 1, max 13, median 8
b) any offer: min 1, max 12, median 9

Note that the minimum threshold for GCSE A* can be distorted by international candidates who offer multiple qualifications who may have taken the odd GCSE.

As before, our advice is to consider applying if you think you can match these scores.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
For E&M, candidates applying to us and invited for interview by an Oxford college achieved the following scores:

Note that the minimum threshold for GCSE A* can be distorted by international candidates who offer multiple qualifications who may have taken the odd GCSE.

As before, our advice is to consider applying if you think you can match these scores.

How many of the first year accomodation rooms have an ensuite, is it common to get a sink if not? Also do you get fridges in your room and are you allowed toasters/kettles etc
is the chinese reading list just those four books?
Original post by learner248
is the chinese reading list just those four books?

That is the only recommended reading specified, but they do also suggest we read other chinese literature outside of that just to gain insight :smile: x
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Aren't we all... D:

True, but there are so many smart people on this forum >-< (including yourself)
Oh I know, I just thought it was a tad short! Were you there on the open day on 1st July?
Original post by learner248
Oh I know, I just thought it was a tad short! Were you there on the open day on 1st July?

Sadly not due to health constraints :frown:
Original post by lucyx
Are teachers allowed to look at a personal statement?

I don't see why not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eux
How many of the first year accomodation rooms have an ensuite, is it common to get a sink if not? Also do you get fridges in your room and are you allowed toasters/kettles etc

Some general information about accommodation can be found here:

http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/179-accommodation-rooms

http://jcr.bnc.ox.ac.uk/?page_id=459

And also in the Alternative Prospectus:
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/downloads/prospectus/2014/Brasenose_Prospectus_Digital_2014.pdf

Most first year rooms have shared bathrooms because the buildings are historic and can't be adapted very easily in ways that meet planning restrictions. The upside though is that rooms tend to be large and the ratio of students to bathrooms is reasonable. Nearly all (indeed possibly all) rooms have sinks. Largely for environmental reasons, there are shared fridges in kitchens. You can bring toasters and kettles so long as the equipment passes a PAT test and you don't burn toast too often as this sets off the fire alarms.
Original post by tilly5798
True, but there are so many smart people on this forum >-< (including yourself)

Ha, that statement would be true if you included yourself and left me out :biggrin:
Reply 1373
Original post by BrasenoseAdm

Hi,

I was wondering how the TSA scores varied for Experimental Psychology applicants. Many thanks in advance.
Original post by TARS
drop chemistry/Chinese

Cool. Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1375
Original post by Edminzodo
Cool. Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick Nottingham Surrey Glasgow
Would Oxford consider AAB in English Language AICT and mathematics respectively for PPL ( psy&linguistics)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TARS
Warwick Nottingham Surrey Glasgow

Cool choices. I've heard they're all pretty nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Thats the best thing ive read for a long time, if you dont mind me asking, what course are you applying for?

I'm actually going into my second year of History having just finished prelims :smile: It's gone so fast, I can't believe I matriculated almost a year ago!
Original post by Eux

It's definitely worth shopping around when it comes to picking a college; my college has majority ensuite rooms (for example).

So much of your life is lived in college that it's worth spending time picking somewhere which caters to your needs.

Latest

Trending

Trending