The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rvas
Hi,

I was wondering how the TSA scores varied for Experimental Psychology applicants. Many thanks in advance.

They are quite similar for interviewees.

Problem Solving: min 42, max 73, median 59
Critical Thinking: min 48, max 76, median 64
Overall: min 48, max 73, median 60

If you think you can match last year's efforts, make sure you register by the TSA deadline (15th October).
Original post by colourtheory
It's definitely worth shopping around when it comes to picking a college; my college has majority ensuite rooms (for example).

So much of your life is lived in college that it's worth spending time picking somewhere which caters to your needs.

What college is that, may i ask?
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
They are quite similar for interviewees.

Problem Solving: min 42, max 73, median 59
Critical Thinking: min 48, max 76, median 64
Overall: min 48, max 73, median 60

If you think you can match last year's efforts, make sure you register by the TSA deadline (15th October).

Hi,

Do you happen to know the average MAT score of prospective applicants and/or interviewees for maths?

Thankyou!
Original post by Eux
What college is that, may i ask?

Worcester College :smile:
Worcester College :smile:

I'm considering Worcester but it looks quite far out of town
Original post by Eux
I'm considering Worcester but it looks quite far out of town

It's only a 4 or 5 minute walk to Cornmarket Street and then a minute until you're on High Street! We're also the closest college to the nightclubs which means you can prink and sprint to the front of the queue before the other colleges (this is a big benefit!!)

Non city centre colleges / far out colleges include St Hugh's, St Catherine's etc.

For reference:
All sports grounds on site
Majority ensuite rooms
Space to walk - voted Oxford's most beautiful garden (every year!)
Ducks! (And a lake)
2 x 24 hours libraries (you will use these!)
1 x grand old library
4 or 5 minutes from city centre
Sportiest college - highest number of Blues
(Also non sporty people - like me!)

You spend so much of your time in college that it's worth making sure you've picked somewhere that feels right. You will leave for lectures / shopping / coffee with friends etc. but you'll be essay crisis-ing in your room a LOT of the time too :smile:

Sorry for the gush of Woosta love ❤️❤️
It drives my family nuts :/
(edited 8 years ago)
You're kidding?! It's a 2 or 3 minute walk to Cornmarket Street and then a minute until you're on High Street! We're also the closest college to the nightclubs which means you can prink and sprint to the front of the queue before the other colleges (trust - this is a big benefit!!)

All sports grounds on site
Majority ensuite rooms
Space to walk - voted Oxford's most beautiful garden (every year!)
Ducks! (And a lake)
2 x 24 hours libraries (you will use these!)
1 x grand old library
3 or 4 minutes from city centre
Sportiest college - highest number of Blues
(Also non sporty people - like me!)

You spend so much of your time in college that it's worth making sure you've picked somewhere that feels right. You will leave for lectures / shopping / coffee with friends etc. but you'll be essay crisis-ing in your room a LOT of the time too :smile:

Sorry for the gush of Woosta love ❤️❤️
It drives my family nuts :/

Oh awesome... do you get accomodation for all 3 years? Whats the communal rooms and bar like in terms of price and popularity?
Original post by Eux
Oh awesome... do you get accomodation for all 3 years? Whats the communal rooms and bar like in terms of price and popularity?

Yes, we have accommodation all three years

Our common room (JCR) is actually one of my favourite rooms in Worcester. Lots of squishy sofas etc. for lounging around in. We have our JCR meetings in there and it's just generally a welcoming place to hang out.

Our bar is very popular and was recently rated as the best college bar in Oxford. Recently refurbished but still with a bar / pub feel (which is great - some other colleges have more of a bistro feel to their bar so it depends on what you prefer). Great pricing too - £4 for a Sting (our college drink) which consists of four shots! £3 at happy hour.
Yes, we have accommodation all three years

Our common room (JCR) is actually one of my favourite rooms in Worcester. Lots of squishy sofas etc. for lounging around in. We have our JCR meetings in there and it's just generally a welcoming place to hang out.

Our bar is very popular and was recently rated as the best college bar in Oxford. Recently refurbished but still with a bar / pub feel (which is great - some other colleges have more of a bistro feel to their bar so it depends on what you prefer). Great pricing too - £4 for a Sting (our college drink) which consists of four shots! £3 at happy hour.

Souds really good actually... does the college have a lot of undergrads (i.e does it feel really big, small or just right)? Also, i know its a bit of a side thing, but do the college have punts for undergrads to use? Whats the worse bit about Worcester?
Original post by Eux
Souds really good actually... does the college have a lot of undergrads (i.e does it feel really big, small or just right)? Also, i know its a bit of a side thing, but do the college have punts for undergrads to use? Whats the worse bit about Worcester?

About 400 undergrads in all. This is a medium size college which is good because you can move between small friendship groups and the wider college community (e.g at Bops)

We have two punts that are the source of much hilarity and relaxation (although being the person with the stick is highly stressful!). Both are free to use, you book them at the porter's lodge.
About 400 undergrads in all. This is a medium size college which is good because you can move between small friendship groups and the wider college community (e.g at Bops)

We have two punts that are the source of much hilarity and relaxation (although being the person with the stick is highly stressful!). Both are free to use, you book them at the porter's lodge.

Sorry for the grilling, really appreciate your answers and help. Do you know if, for the subject im applying for (mathematics), it matters which college you go to? Are you all taught by the same people as everyone else in different colleges or what?
I'm actually going into my second year of History having just finished prelims :smile: It's gone so fast, I can't believe I matriculated almost a year ago!

Well congrats!
And I hope you do well:smile:
GCSE grades: 12A* 2A
A-Levels: French, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (AS)
Course: French
College: Not sure yet, maybe Wadham or Oriel??
Original post by Eux
Sorry for the grilling, really appreciate your answers and help. Do you know if, for the subject im applying for (mathematics), it matters which college you go to? Are you all taught by the same people as everyone else in different colleges or what?

I'm not sure exactly, but what tends to happen is that you're taught core modules in college and then you go elsewhere for your electives (depending on where the experts are). Best to email the college about this one :smile:
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Well congrats!
And I hope you do well:smile:

Thank you :smile: I actually already have my results for first year so I'm just waiting around for term to start again in October.

Best of luck with your application! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
For E&M, candidates applying to us and invited for interview by an Oxford college achieved the following scores:

TSA problem solving: min 42, max 79, median 62
TSA critical thinking: min 48, max 78, median 65
TSA essay: min 45, max 70, median 62
TSA overall: min 50, max 75, median 63

For all subjects, the GCSE A* profiles are as follows:
a) any interview: min 1, max 13, median 8
b) any offer: min 1, max 12, median 9

Note that the minimum threshold for GCSE A* can be distorted by international candidates who offer multiple qualifications who may have taken the odd GCSE.

As before, our advice is to consider applying if you think you can match these scores.

My TSA scores are above the median at the moment but will practice some more. At GCSE I was below the median as i only got 7A*s (3A's, 2B's + 1 A in AS Business Studies). However my school didn't have a great performance at GCSE

How much would I be affected by my A* count? And is the TSA relatively more important than GCSE's ceteris paribus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would Oxford consider AAB as AS results in English Language AICT and mathematics respectively for PPL ( psy&linguistics)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisa-Marie1995
I hope to get A* A* A A in Dutch, French, Spanish, German at A2 level .
European and Middle Eastern languages: French and Hebrew
I'm still deciding between St Hilda's and Magdalen,
Is anyone else applying for Hebrew?

Ahh! I'm applying for French and Hebrew too! I thought I was the only one!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can Oxford students use all the JCR's in different colleges?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iBall
My TSA scores are above the median at the moment but will practice some more. At GCSE I was below the median as i only got 7A*s (3A's, 2B's + 1 A in AS Business Studies). However my school didn't have a great performance at GCSE

How much would I be affected by my A* count? And is the TSA relatively more important than GCSE's ceteris paribus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

7A*s and a TSA score above the median looks competitive to us. In your shoes, we would apply. Good luck if you decide to have a go.

Latest

Trending

Trending