The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S-man8
Yeah for kings - I've already taken it

I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford it. How are you funding yours? I've talked to SF and Kings. There doesn't seem to be much help available, it's all for UG.
Reply 641
Original post by bony_joe
I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford it. How are you funding yours? I've talked to SF and Kings. There doesn't seem to be much help available, it's all for UG.

Literally in the same boat...i know with SF you can get a loan of about 3k a year. Kings must have some bursary/scholarship programme which should be about another 1k a year. I'm trying to figure it all out >_<
Original post by S-man8
Literally in the same boat...i know with SF you can get a loan of about 3k a year. Kings must have some bursary/scholarship programme which should be about another 1k a year. I'm trying to figure it all out >_<

It's all looking a bit too difficult tbh. Talked to SF. You can get a non means tested loan for £5500 and a means tested loan at a max of £7300 but is on a sliding scale. You can only get £7300 if the household income is below £25000. We are not entitled to a Maintenance grant therefore cannot get a Bursary from Kings. The finance department at Kings are not very sympathetic - apparently we're not eligible for anything since it's a second degree.
hey
i'm thinking of applying to Leeds and Aberdeen too. What were your stats. Also how is it at Aberdeen. I have been reading negative comments about the dental school on online-news
Reply 644
Any one who got accepted at Essex for 2015, what accommodation are you staying in? X
Original post by Kej04
Any one who got accepted at Essex for 2015, what accommodation are you staying in? X

Essex does dentistry?
Can someone explain the implications of a 4 yr course vrs a 5 yr course apart from the cost of the extra ur. Is the 4 yr one harder to get in?
Also if Ibhave a degree in pharmacy will I have to pay for the full 5 yrs without a loan ? As the government has already given me a grant for my first degree , sorry if this is a stupid question just not sure how funding works if you have s degree already
Original post by holty_40
Can someone explain the implications of a 4 yr course vrs a 5 yr course apart from the cost of the extra ur. Is the 4 yr one harder to get in?
Also if Ibhave a degree in pharmacy will I have to pay for the full 5 yrs without a loan ? As the government has already given me a grant for my first degree , sorry if this is a stupid question just not sure how funding works if you have s degree already

If you're a grad and do the 5yr course you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. There are no loans for it.

If you're a grad and do the 4yr course you get loans for it from student finance.

4yr is difficult to get on to due to the number of places to applicants ratio. (20 places and approx 300 applicants)

5yr is easier to get onto but of course it's out of most people's price range.
Original post by eshdentist
If you're a grad and do the 5yr course you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. There are no loans for it.

If you're a grad and do the 4yr course you get loans for it from student finance.

4yr is difficult to get on to due to the number of places to applicants ratio. (20 places and approx 300 applicants)

5yr is easier to get onto but of course it's out of most people's price range.

So it would cost £45000 for the course plus about the same to live over the 5 yrs and you don't get any grants or loans ? Wow only super rich kids could afford that . Are you sure that's correct
So it would cost £45000 for the course plus about the same to live over the 5 yrs and you don't get any grants or loans ? Wow only super rich kids could afford that . Are you sure that's correct

Correct and yes I'm sure.
Correct and yes I'm sure.

Does anybody know why different unis have different codes ie A200 or A201
Also does Newcastle accept graduates?
Many thanks
Many thanks

The codes just denote the separate courses. Eg A200= 5yr and A201= 4yr (not necessarily correct, just using the numbers as examples)

And nope Newcastle does not do graduate entry. Most dental schools seem to be getting rid of the grad courses (if they haven't already).

All this info is on the university websites.

Actually, the fifth year is covered by a NHS bursary so it would be £36000 for tuition. Also, you can get a maintenance loan for the living costs but wouldn't be eligible for the grant.
Thanks
Many thanks

Newcastle does accept graduates. But onto the full 5 year course :smile:
Reply 655
HI,

So i just got ABB (Psychology, Biology and Chemistry) and I'm thinking to go for grad entry into dentistry. Problem is i keep reading requirements to be a 2:1 in a healthcare related or science degrees.
But when i speak to the universities they're all telling me different things. (E.G. Bristol doesn't care what degree i get because I've done Biology and Chemistry at A- level. But others do)...
Sooo, seeing as a lot of you are going for grad entry would you help me out a give me a list of degrees you guys have done, or know to be acceptable/Preferred. (Oh, and also what they're like, are they fun/interesting/ soul crushing etc.)

Hugely appreciate any and all replies!
Original post by salma.z
HI,

So i just got ABB (Psychology, Biology and Chemistry) and I'm thinking to go for grad entry into dentistry. Problem is i keep reading requirements to be a 2:1 in a healthcare related or science degrees.
But when i speak to the universities they're all telling me different things. (E.G. Bristol doesn't care what degree i get because I've done Biology and Chemistry at A- level. But others do)...
Sooo, seeing as a lot of you are going for grad entry would you help me out a give me a list of degrees you guys have done, or know to be acceptable/Preferred. (Oh, and also what they're like, are they fun/interesting/ soul crushing etc.)

Hugely appreciate any and all replies!

Majority prefer biomed or pharmacy
Reply 657
Majority prefer biomed or pharmacy

Did you do graduate entry or undergrad? And whats your opinion on pharmacy vs pharmacology. or Biochem vs Biomed.
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by salma.z
Did you do graduate entry or undergrad? And whats your opinion on pharmacy vs pharmacology. or Biochem vs Biomed.
Thanks

I am currently doing grad. My opinion is that biomed is the safest option, then pharmacy and the others are equal 3rd place x
Reply 659
I am currently doing grad. My opinion is that biomed is the safest option, then pharmacy and the others are equal 3rd place x

Don't mean to be a pest but can i just ask what your stats are and how you found the competition for grad entry, and where you're studying.
Also how did you find biomedicine?
(Sorry again for all the questions)

I'm just worried that if i do biomedicine and dont get a 2:1 ill be left in the lurch with nothing whereas pharmacy will at least leave me with a profession.

Quick Reply

Latest