The Student Room Group

Alevel subjects

i am doing physics, chemistry maths and AS further maths (d1 s1 fp1)
i am thinking if i should add biology? Would it be too much? I would like to study physics in uni. I have the subjects required to study it, i dont really need biology i think.
Original post by NatoHeadshot
i am doing physics, chemistry maths and AS further maths (d1 s1 fp1)
i am thinking if i should add biology? Would it be too much? I would like to study physics in uni. I have the subjects required to study it, i dont really need biology i think.

Biology is content-heavy, but enjoyable if you're interested in it. If you're SURE that you want to do physics at uni, there isn't much point to doing biology. However, if you want to keep your options open (biosciences, medical courses and some parts of natural sciences), it could be a wise move.

You might be allowed to switch subjects within the first couple of weeks- if so you could try biology and decide if doing 5 AS subjects is for you.:smile:
Reply 2
I was thinking of doing those five subjects but then i thought that would be too much work so now I'm deciding between biology and chemistry.
Im still not sure which to pick as i prefer biology but i think chemistry will be more useful if studying physics.
Original post by 1220i40
I was thinking of doing those five subjects but then i thought that would be too much work so now I'm deciding between biology and chemistry.
Im still not sure which to pick as i prefer biology but i think chemistry will be more useful if studying physics.

There is actually a little bit of biology in my chemistry A level (OCR). We cover amino acids, proteins, fats, drugs and a tiny bit about water as a biological molecule. However, there isn't much chemistry in AS biology, but that sharply increases as you get to A2 bio (OCR) where we study respiration and photosynthesis in a fair bit of detail.

Do chemistry if you are better at logical thinking, or biology if you're better at memorising facts. Though both skills come into each subject, the quantity of information in biology outweighs chem.

Chemistry is more often a requirement for science-based courses. Chemistry overlaps with most of the sciences.

Even though I prefer biology, chemistry is just more useful.
:smile:
Original post by Laurasaur
Biology is content-heavy, but enjoyable if you're interested in it. If you're SURE that you want to do physics at uni, there isn't much point to doing biology. However, if you want to keep your options open (biosciences, medical courses and some parts of natural sciences), it could be a wise move.

You might be allowed to switch subjects within the first couple of weeks- if so you could try biology and decide if doing 5 AS subjects is for you.:smile:

im not doing 5 AS subjects
im doing physics, chemistry and maths to a full alevel only further maths is to AS
thinking of adding bio but the better option would be to take further maths to a full alevel but i think that would be too much work. I also do edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest