The Student Room Group

What clothing brands scream CHAV?! To chav or not to chav.... That is the question

Yesterday I got a jacket of a particular brand. And the response from literally everyone, was its chavvy. This brand is actually quite popular and I know people who are not chavs i.e. nerdy sometimes wear them. In fact when I questioned them, they named some brands which like 80% of people wear as chavvy. I thought chaviness was restricted to like 2% of the population.

To Chav or not to Chav....That is the question.

And if you can do me a favour and tell me if you consider these brands chavvy or give off a chavvy scent:

Bench
Gio Goi
Adiddas
Nike
Superdry
Crosshatch
Jack and Jones
Lacoste
Puma
McKenzie
EDIT: Voi
G-star

NOTE: I am not bashing lower class people. I am in fact from a very poor family. Just those people that have no life, wandering the streets shooting at grannies with BB guns and rob a pack of malteasers from sainsbury's to prove how 'hard' they are.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It is very possible to look good on a budget but those brands don't tend to look good at all in my opinion.

Not to mention those clothes tend to be quite expensive too. Stay away from clothing with massive brand logos and you will be golden.

Dressing fashionably is not really about the brand of clothing but more about how they are put together (contrast, colour coordination, patterns) and generally you want to avoid clothes with massive brand logos. You are not a walking advertisement.
Reply 2
i don't think the brands themselves are "chavvy" it's just to do with how they are worn, where, when (sort of lel) etc
Your 'us and them' mentality speaks far more than any item of clothing you're seen in
The more you show, the less you've got.

I shop mostly from H&M, Primark, and a tiny bit from Zara. Even though I don't - most people think I buy very expensive clothing.

It's because it's about HOW you wear it, and who's wearing it. Eg, a well-carried lady who speaks well etc, wearing a Burberry jacket = classy. A slouched and foul mouth lady, wearing the same jacket = chav.

The brands you listed.. Most were chavy. Some, however, in the "right" context would not be considered so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's mostly how you wear it I guess,

I have a pretty nice superdry coat that goes will with my shirt (and tie when I feel like it).
Reply 6
Original post by Sazh
Yesterday I got a jacket of a particular brand. And the response from literally everyone, was its chavvy. This brand is actually quite popular and I know people who are not chavs i.e. nerdy sometimes wear them. In fact when I questioned them, they named some brands which like 80% of people wear as chavvy. I thought chaviness was restricted to like 2% of the population.

And if you can do me a favour and tell me if you consider these brands chavvy or give off a chavvy scent:

Bench
Gio Goi
Adiddas
Nike
Superdry
Crosshatch
Jack and Jones
Lacoste
Puma
McKenzie
G-star

NOTE: I am not bashing lower class people. I am in fact from a very poor family. Just those people that have no life, wandering the streets shooting at grannies with BB guns and rob a pack of malteasers from sainsbury's to prove how 'hard' they are.

Most of those brands are pretty expensive anyway so they aren't known as chavvy. It's definitely more the people that wear them that make something chavvy, like you could see a classy well groomed woman with a chanel handbag but if you saw the same one being carried by someone who doesn't take much pride in their appearance, wears tracksuits and trainers and is very mouthy then you would think that it was a fake and looks trashy right?
Nike air max - I've only ever seen chavs wear them. Probably saved up their benefit money.
Original post by bassbabe
Nike air max - I've only ever seen chavs wear them. Probably saved up their benefit money.

Your posts are just KILLING me 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😂😂😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Most are not if wearing for sport, if you wear sporty clothes casually you are probably a chav but there are other factors such as speech, manners, personality, e.g swear and are loud? Chav. Think your hard and hurt people for fun? Chav
Original post by rockrunride
Your 'us and them' mentality speaks far more than any item of clothing you're seen in

Well said.

Sidenote: I've seen Superdry's clothing. It is aptly named. Could also have been named "complete****" or "****ingcrap"

I disagree, while yes LOTS of chavs wear Air Max 90's and so on you clearly have no idea about the shoe. Look up "Air Max 1 GPX floral green" (The one im wearing right now) or "Air max 1 beaches of Rio" and tell me if they look chavvy to you I would be interested.
All of the ones you listed eith the exeption of Nike,Puma,Jack and Jones and Lacoste are extremely chavvy. Addidas can be really chavvy also, if worn at the wrong time/place.

Lacoste is worn by alot of chavs but it is also worn by rich Tennis/golf players so idk :L

Really? I'd say they've been hijacked by the affluent student crowd. See loads of artsy fartsy hipster types wearing them.

Usually 90s and 87s.

Original post by CSRising
All of the ones you listed eith the exeption of Nike,Puma,Jack and Jones and Lacoste are extremely chavvy. Addidas can be really chavvy also, if worn at the wrong time/place.

It can also be really nice too. Look up the London Consortiums or the Berlins.
poverty ass brands lmao

But its all context.

They look like football hooligan/casual gear to me. I agree with you about the Air Max thing completley though.

They look like football hooligan/casual gear to me. I agree with you about the Air Max thing completley though
Burberry was considered to be a "chavvy" brand due to the number of chavs who actually wore their clothing
They look like football hooligan/casual gear to me. I agree with you about the Air Max thing completley though.

What's wrong with that?
Original post by Sazh

Bench
Gio Goi
Adiddas
Nike
Superdry
Crosshatch
Jack and Jones
Lacoste
Puma
McKenzie
G-star

How is superdry, lacoste, jack jones, and gstar cheap? What do you wear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest