The Student Room Group

Business GCSE Coursework

Im doing coursework for business GCSE (AQA) before christmas this year. Mine is about location but I wasn't sure what sort of thing you do?

Apparently we pick a small business and do things about it but Im not too sure what that includes - if anyone has done this course and could give some tips that'll be great ! :yy::thumbsup:
Original post by hc12
Im doing coursework for business GCSE (AQA) before christmas this year. Mine is about location but I wasn't sure what sort of thing you do?

Apparently we pick a small business and do things about it but Im not too sure what that includes - if anyone has done this course and could give some tips that'll be great ! :yy::thumbsup:

ah, the classic AQA business coursework, fear not child.

when you say 'do things about' what we did is we had to go into the shop and ask the owners/managers a load of questions, why do they charge current prices, how do they advertise, how often, why do they think they have a certain market share, who is their target audience, have they considered expansion etc.
We then questioned the public on the shop, would you shop there, why, is the location convenient for you, what makes it better/worse than other similar shops, I'm sorry if I can't remember everything (this was 3 years ago).

From there we analyzed all the data, put it into pie charts etc. and presented a report on the business, its marketing mix, how well it was doing, how it was limited AND most importantly what strategies it should use to improve
For example, if the business was losing market share from children, maybe it should advertise or design the store more colorfully, creatively etc. If the shop is losing market share to a competitor, maybe it should consider lower prices - and basically analyze and evaluate all the effects of that.

However, if your teacher has asked you to do some stuff over the holidays she probably just means get the questionnaires out the way and maybe analyze a bit.

also, if your coursework is different and your just doing location, things you could talk about include:
distance to competitors
distance to market
distance to suppliers (cost of delivery)
convenience (shopping Centre vs. out of town)
transport links- especially if its customers are spread out
logistics - online selling etc.
supply of labour (is it near a university? is there high unemployment in the area?)
type of market - selling in Chelsea is a bit different to selling in scunthorpe.

NOW REP ME BIT*H
When it comes to actually typing it up remember to add the page code thing if your saying something about or using data from that page e.g. S1 (you'll be told to give each page of your research a particular letter and number). Two people in my class forgot and only remembered last minute and they both ended up getting 21/40
Reply 3
Original post by LukeTR1998
ah, the classic AQA business coursework, fear not child.

when you say 'do things about' what we did is we had to go into the shop and ask the owners/managers a load of questions, why do they charge current prices, how do they advertise, how often, why do they think they have a certain market share, who is their target audience, have they considered expansion etc.
We then questioned the public on the shop, would you shop there, why, is the location convenient for you, what makes it better/worse than other similar shops, I'm sorry if I can't remember everything (this was 3 years ago).

From there we analyzed all the data, put it into pie charts etc. and presented a report on the business, its marketing mix, how well it was doing, how it was limited AND most importantly what strategies it should use to improve
For example, if the business was losing market share from children, maybe it should advertise or design the store more colorfully, creatively etc. If the shop is losing market share to a competitor, maybe it should consider lower prices - and basically analyze and evaluate all the effects of that.

However, if your teacher has asked you to do some stuff over the holidays she probably just means get the questionnaires out the way and maybe analyze a bit.

also, if your coursework is different and your just doing location, things you could talk about include:
distance to competitors
distance to market
distance to suppliers (cost of delivery)
convenience (shopping Centre vs. out of town)
transport links- especially if its customers are spread out
logistics - online selling etc.
supply of labour (is it near a university? is there high unemployment in the area?)
type of market - selling in Chelsea is a bit different to selling in scunthorpe.

NOW REP ME BIT*H

Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by swagmister
When it comes to actually typing it up remember to add the page code thing if your saying something about or using data from that page e.g. S1 (you'll be told to give each page of your research a particular letter and number). Two people in my class forgot and only remembered last minute and they both ended up getting 21/40

Ive never heard of that? Is that like referencing the research book/webistes you used? Sorry bit confused :s-smilie:
Original post by hc12
Ive never heard of that? Is that like referencing the research book/webistes you used? Sorry bit confused :s-smilie:

No when you've finished collecting all your data and stuff you'll have to give each page a code so when your writing about it in the conclusion (this will be timed and in exam conditions, in my school everyone went into the ICT Suite to type it up I assume it's the same in other schools but I'm not sure) it shows you're using your research for example if your referring to your questionnaire, 54% of people go to "competitor" (S1) which shows....
:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by swagmister
No when you've finished collecting all your data and stuff you'll have to give each page a code so when your writing about it in the conclusion (this will be timed and in exam conditions, in my school everyone went into the ICT Suite to type it up I assume it's the same in other schools but I'm not sure) it shows you're using your research for example if your referring to your questionnaire, 54% of people go to "competitor" (S1) which shows....
:smile:

ohh I understand thank you so much!! :smile:
Original post by hc12
Thank you so much!

No worries child

Quick Reply

Latest