The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissJRM
Hi & welcome!

I'm also starting the PGCE in September...it feels so close and yet so far away!

Are you primary or secondary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Secondary! So, extra terrified. :wink: Yourself? It feels very far away but the time will fly by.
Original post by janeite
Secondary! So, extra terrified. :wink: Yourself? It feels very far away but the time will fly by.

Also secondary! I feel your pain! Year 7s are generally taller than me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissJRM
Also secondary! I feel your pain! Year 7s are generally taller than me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I have that problem too! I'm sure it will all be fine, it'll be over before we know it.
I have received an email from uni asking me to fill in a profile form, which I have done, and suggesting I familiarise myself with the professional journey file. They have asked that I fill in the initial self review section. I'm not really sure what they expect me to write tbh.

There appears to be a grading system consisting of: No Experience; Beginning; or Developing. As far as I can see I will be grading every section as No Experience.

Has anyone else had one of these to complete?
Original post by redmel1621
I have received an email from uni asking me to fill in a profile form, which I have done, and suggesting I familiarise myself with the professional journey file. They have asked that I fill in the initial self review section. I'm not really sure what they expect me to write tbh.

There appears to be a grading system consisting of: No Experience; Beginning; or Developing. As far as I can see I will be grading every section as No Experience.

Has anyone else had one of these to complete?

Yep, pretty standard. It's so you can see how far you've come throughout your training :smile:
I'll be starting Primary PGCE in September. Getting a little bit worried because I'll be working for full time until a week before the course begins and I've had no time to read anything yet!

My uni lists the reading as optional, but there's a log to keep of what we've done so it definitely doesn't feel optional!

But super excited apart from that!
Original post by JoannaMilano
I'll be starting Primary PGCE in September. Getting a little bit worried because I'll be working for full time until a week before the course begins and I've had no time to read anything yet!

My uni lists the reading as optional, but there's a log to keep of what we've done so it definitely doesn't feel optional!

But super excited apart from that!

Don't worry, if they say optional it's fine, even then you won't be the only one not to do all of it. It's probably just so you can easily recall notes etc... When you get in to it this summers reading will seem so long ago!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello to everyone who is beginning their PGCE in September. I am doing a primary pgce at Reading :smile: Who else is v nervous but also excited?! What have you guys been doing to prepare? :smile:
Original post by katie543
Hello to everyone who is beginning their PGCE in September. I am doing a primary pgce at Reading :smile: Who else is v nervous but also excited?! What have you guys been doing to prepare? :smile:

Hello everyone else who's starting in September :smile: I've been working my way through the summer assignments they gave us and buying a bit of stationery and that, but apart from that just been chilling and enjoying a stress free summer! I am so nervous/excited too!!
Original post by emily131
Hello everyone else who's starting in September :smile: I've been working my way through the summer assignments they gave us and buying a bit of stationery and that, but apart from that just been chilling and enjoying a stress free summer! I am so nervous/excited too!!

We have just hadto do lots of reading and subject tasks. Good luck with the essays! I have been buying stationary too! Where are you doing your PGCE?
Oh well same for me, no essays but loads of reading, reflective writing and subject knowledge :smile: slightly freaking out about my lack of Science knowledge though! I bought a pretty good Science book off Amazon so I guess that will be my bedtime reading lol. doing my PGCE oop north in the same city where I went to uni! And you're at Reading? My friend just finished her Primary PGCE at Reading and it sounds like it was really good :smile:

Ah, my science needs brushing up on too! It is hard trying to revise a subject when you hated it at school, haha. Yeah, Reading :smile: Ah, brilliant! I am hoping I enjoy it then!
Could anyone have a look over my linkedin profile that I'll be using for teaching and see what they think. I have to provide one for HMC Teacher Training https://uk.linkedin.com/in/joshuadavidwood

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Buying stationery is far more enjoyable than i thought it would be, i went a bit mad buying stuff so have decided i am not allowed to buy anything else until i start uni in 3 weeks time
Pro tip: try to make up your tuition fee by 'borrowing' stationery from school :ninja: .
Original post by TunaTunnel
Could anyone have a look over my linkedin profile that I'll be using for teaching and see what they think. I have to provide one for HMC Teacher Training https://uk.linkedin.com/in/joshuadavidwood

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks :smile:

I like it. Really shows your passion for the subject.

Two things:

1. Does the HMC include a PGCE? As you say in the first bit you are pursuing a PGCE and don't mention the HMC until the second bit.

2. Maybe add a little more about teaching itself. What you're passionate about. Or a little more detail in the experience bits (any particular things you did at each job).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
My colleagues gave me a bag of highlighters, pens and post-its etc. on my last day which was really nice. 'Coincidentally' they were of the same brand as the stationery supplier though.

We have subject knowledge tests, specific tasks during the pre-course observation week, the pre-course essay and some reading to do. But I am more relaxed about them now, after all I have only just stopped working, also submitting my dissertation in two weeks. The reading can wait a bit, I reckon.
Original post by kpwxx

Two things:

1. Does the HMC include a PGCE? As you say in the first bit you are pursuing a PGCE and don't mention the HMC until the second bit.

2. Maybe add a little more about teaching itself. What you're passionate about. Or a little more detail in the experience bits (any particular things you did at each job).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you get a PGCE degree from uni of bucks after the 2 years, I've kept it fairly general.

Ah I'll try, im pretty limited for space so I'll see if I can move anything around.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Yeah, you get a PGCE degree from uni of bucks after the 2 years, I've kept it fairly general.

Ah I'll try, im pretty limited for space so I'll see if I can move anything around.

It's not too bad, if its meant to be just a general record. But if it acts like a personal statement type thing, my concern is they might worry you are passionate about the subject in general only, rather than the teaching element of that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx

Two things:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reworded it a bit :smile:
Original post by sans-peur
Buying stationery is far more enjoyable than i thought it would be, i went a bit mad buying stuff so have decided i am not allowed to buy anything else until i start uni in 3 weeks time

Haha I still need a printer so I'm trying to limit myself on other stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending