The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
No that's what I thought as well, heading away in a few days and the paranoia set in that it might be June 31st but I think you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 96305
No that's what I thought as well, heading away in a few days and the paranoia set in that it might be June 31st but I think you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

June 31st doesn't exist so I reckon you're safe :wink:
Reply 2022
Original post by Dr Gin
June 31st doesn't exist so I reckon you're safe :wink:

Hahahaha well played

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!

I'm wondering if anyone's moving down *not* going to be living in halls - I'm looking for a roommate (maybe 2) - as a grad entry I'm not really up for student halls, I just want a bit of space, plus I'll be working as well as studying, I'll need the peace and quiet.

Anyone know of anyone who is looking, or alternatively are there any Exeter students who can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Reply 2024
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you!
Congratulations on ur offer! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dr Gin
Yes, definitely.

Plymouth has kept the Peninsula name so is Plymouth University Peninsula School of Medicine and Dentistry. Exeter has lost the dentistry bit to Plymouth and is just known as University of Exeter Medical School.

You can apply to both, the admissions process is virtually identical although Exeter expect A*A*A either predicted or achieved to interview you and their standard offer this year was A*AA. Plymouth want A*AA to interview you and then their standard offer was AAA.

Exeter do not want strictly A*A*A to interview you and that is where many of us fked up last year, with me having applied to Exeter with A*AA and a high UKCAT with no interview. What exeter did was that when you meet the minimum GCSE requirements etc they then take the top percent with the highest predicted grades and use the UKCAT aswell in making decisions but on a sliding scale. So in the case of the 2015 cycle what they did was if you had at least A*A*A predicted you would need an avg/low ukcat to be called to interview. Those with a ridiculously high UKCAT (For 2015 entry) off 750 THERE ABOUTS and with A*AA predicted will be also be invited to interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ben4444
How much emphasis do exeter put on As grades? I have 10 A* gcse, 710 ukcat , A*A*AA prediction but AAABC at as. The C is in chem, but I know I can get an A and am predicted an A, will this go against me? Thanks for any advice 😊

should be fine I think. Ur UKCAT would play a much bigger role than AS grades. As long as ur predicted and A in chem, u should be fine :smile:
Hey guys! Just had an email from the uni with a list of key dates and I'm a bit confused by the Unicard thing? It says August 1st is the deadline for applying for the Unicard but I just looked at the Exeter website and it said they are issued to all students so I'm not entirely sure what it means/what I'm meant to do!
Has anyone else got a reserve place? Heard any more info on it...?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
Hey guys! Just had an email from the uni with a list of key dates and I'm a bit confused by the Unicard thing? It says August 1st is the deadline for applying for the Unicard but I just looked at the Exeter website and it said they are issued to all students so I'm not entirely sure what it means/what I'm meant to do!

Hey, yes it's your student card, basically if you apply for it now, it'll be ready for you when you arrive. Otherwise you can go to the information desk (SiD) and get one made in freshers week, but you'll get it a few days into freshers.
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ckirkman
Hey, yes it's your student card, basically if you apply for it now, it'll be ready for you when you arrive. Otherwise you can go to the information desk (SiD) and get one made in freshers week, but you'll get it a few days into freshers.
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah great, thank you!
Hello everyone, good luck with results on Thursday,hopefully we all make it!! I just have a query about what we had to complete in termsof DBS forms, hopefully I’m just being pedantic and misinterpreting an email. Igave all the ID required at the interview and have twice now completed the ‘declaration’form saying I have never had a criminal conviction etc. Was there somethingelse I was supposed to do regarding DBS as I recently received an email sayingthat might be the case! Thanks for any help and good luck for results day, its notlong now J
Original post by Dr. Django
Hello everyone, good luck with results on Thursday,hopefully we all make it!! I just have a query about what we had to complete in termsof DBS forms, hopefully I’m just being pedantic and misinterpreting an email. Igave all the ID required at the interview and have twice now completed the ‘declaration’form saying I have never had a criminal conviction etc. Was there somethingelse I was supposed to do regarding DBS as I recently received an email sayingthat might be the case! Thanks for any help and good luck for results day, its notlong now J

Hi! Have you received your actual DBS certificate? You should have received a DBS certificate, sent it to Exeter and then they send it back to you again.. Unless this process has been completed, it sounds like they are missing something.. Hope this helps :smile: good luck for Thursday!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cassie_brewer
Hi! Have you received your actual DBS certificate? You should have received a DBS certificate, sent it to Exeter and then they send it back to you again.. Unless this process has been completed, it sounds like they are missing something.. Hope this helps :smile: good luck for Thursday!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, yeah either I haven’t received this or it was misplaced!Thanks a lot, if things go well on Thursday I’ll get in touch with them ASAP :smile: Hopefully this is what I’m missing and it won’t take toolong, I was worrying that maybe my application for a DBS hadn’t even started!Thanks and good luck

Edit: ****. just realised this probably means my track won't update so I'll need to go into school to find out whether I got in. #NoThanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2033
Anybody on the reserve list heard anything yet?

EDIT: 6 reserve offers have been made, if anyone turns down those then they'll move down the list.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Googy
Anybody on the reserve list heard anything yet?

EDIT: 6 reserve offers have been made, if anyone turns down those then they'll move down the list.

Hi mate, have you heard anything back yet? Exeters my only medicine hope haha! What did you get in your A levels too if you don't mind me asking ? My understanding is they're working down the list based on A level results. (I got a*a*a and haven't heard anything :frown:. )
Reply 2035
Original post by Mike jones
Hi mate, have you heard anything back yet? Exeters my only medicine hope haha! What did you get in your A levels too if you don't mind me asking ? My understanding is they're working down the list based on A level results. (I got a*a*a and haven't heard anything :frown:. )

Only that six offers have gone out and that they'll move down the list if any of those 6 offers are turned down.

My A levels are BBB but I'm applying with a BSc in Biomedical Science and a 64 on the GAMSAT so they're not relevant to me.

I asked at the interview (along with another graduate) and they rank the waiting list based on academic achievement as a whole (so degrees>A Levels>GCSEs etc) and only use the next one down if two applicants have the same scores.

My problem is how to get out of another undergrad degree without scuppering my chances next year.
Original post by Googy
Only that six offers have gone out and that they'll move down the list if any of those 6 offers are turned down.

My A levels are BBB but I'm applying with a BSc in Biomedical Science and a 64 on the GAMSAT so they're not relevant to me.

I asked at the interview (along with another graduate) and they rank the waiting list based on academic achievement as a whole (so degrees>A Levels>GCSEs etc) and only use the next one down if two applicants have the same scores.

My problem is how to get out of another undergrad degree without scuppering my chances next year.

Ah okay fair enough, if you hear anything please let me know! It's so frustrating when you feel like you couldn't have done any more.... I was sure 2a*s would put me toward the top!
Reply 2037
Ah okay fair enough, if you hear anything please let me know! It's so frustrating when you feel like you couldn't have done any more.... I was sure 2a*s would put me toward the top!

I missed a proper interview (the one which would have given me an offer, rather than the reserve one) by one point on the GAMSAT, I know how you feel.
Original post by Googy
I missed a proper interview (the one which would have given me an offer, rather than the reserve one) by one point on the GAMSAT, I know how you feel.

Ahh that's horrendous mate, presume you still haven't heard anything? It's gettin quite late now... All the best!
Reply 2039
Ahh that's horrendous mate, presume you still haven't heard anything? It's gettin quite late now... All the best!

Nope, but presumably they'll only release more wait list places if one of the original ones turn theirs down, which considering we had to make exeter medsci BSc our firm choice to be on the list seems very unlikely as it would then be their only med school offer.

Our only hope is if someone has changed their mind about wanting to do medicine or defers for a year, both of which is unlikely as I reckon everyone who did get a reserve place is a graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending