The Student Room Group

Grades good enough?

I wanted to know wether my grades are good enough to apply for maths at Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial.

Maths - A - 295/300
Further Maths - A - 251/300
Physics - A - 248/300
Chemistry - A - 248/300

GCSE; 4 A*, 3A, B and a C

UMS for both maths is 91%, and U will be retaking decision which I got a B in. This could result in my UMS for both maths going up to 94%
Reply 1
You're grades seem fine. I'd certainly apply.

However, a lot of people get offers for maths. Not many people make it due to STEP, so that'll be your main worry.

I'd prob choose camb over oxford though, but that depends on how well you did in your GCSE's compared to the rest of your school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inert1a
I wanted to know wether my grades are good enough to apply for maths at Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial.

Maths - A - 295/300
Further Maths - A - 251/300
Physics - A - 248/300
Chemistry - A - 248/300

GCSE; 4 A*, 3A, B and a C

UMS for both maths is 91%, and U will be retaking decision which I got a B in. This could result in my UMS for both maths going up to 94%

You can only apply to Cambridge or Oxford - so you'd have to choose between them.

For Oxford, you'd need to sit the MAT - so your chances of interview would depend on your score in this.
For Cambridge, if you were given an offer it would be STEP dependant - so its worth considering how you think you'd do in STEP.

Your UMS is alright for Cambridge, but you might struggle not having high UMS for Further Maths.

Personally I would say your profile would be better suited to an Oxford application - but it's your decision at the end of the day, and would also depend on your MAT score :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lucilou101
You can only apply to Cambridge or Oxford - so you'd have to choose between them.

For Oxford, you'd need to sit the MAT - so your chances of interview would depend on your score in this.
For Cambridge, if you were given an offer it would be STEP dependant - so its worth considering how you think you'd do in STEP.

Your UMS is alright for Cambridge, but you might struggle not having high UMS for Further Maths.

Personally I would say your profile would be better suited to an Oxford application - but it's your decision at the end of the day, and would also depend on your MAT score :smile:

Would my GCSES scupper my chances if I were to apply to oxford?
Original post by Inert1a
Would my GCSES scupper my chances if I were to apply to oxford?

No, with a high MAT score you'd get an interview. And then with a good interview you'd get an offer :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lucilou101
No, with a high MAT score you'd get an interview. And then with a good interview you'd get an offer :smile:

How likely do you think it would be for me to get an offer with a good interview, with the results I have, from Cambridge?
Reply 6
Original post by Inert1a
How likely do you think it would be for me to get an offer with a good interview, with the results I have, from Cambridge?

Cambridge gives a lot of offers for Maths because they use STEP as their main selection tool.

Also they probably would not be too concerned by your lower UMS in D1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inert1a

I couldn't give you an exact likelihood. It's worth a shot if you think you'd enjoy the course, do well and could meet the STEP grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending