The Student Room Group

How do you pay the petrol at the self-service pump?

I went to ASDA to get some petrol and today I have checked my bank statement that ASDA only took me £1 for the petrol when I have brought £35 of petrol.
so, the first step I did was insert the card into the reader and put the pin in, then after it authroised the account, I took the card out and started to release fuel into the tank, after that I went. Is this the correct way of paying petrol at the self service pump?
To be honest, it sounds like you've done it right.
I used the Tesco Self Service pump the other day and that's the way I did it because using your card and PIN means they debit however much petrol you pay. I'm sure with the ASDA one if you have to leave your card in whilst you are pumping the petrol?
Did the on screen help tell you to remove your card?
Reply 2
I didn't checked with the screen =/ and the machine don't offer any receipt for the payment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds right, you remove your card before putting petrol in at asda, you done it right, no idea why they only took £1
Sometimes it takes a couple of days or so before the amount is debited from your card. But I don't know why you were charged £1, seems unusual. Did you shop at Asda recently?

Perhaps call them up, and confirm that the correct payment was taken, otherwise you might get chased up for it later.
I had sane thing just today. Bank balance gone down £1 but no full deduction.

As for the receipt, you have to be quick with it to press the button in time.

If you miss the option though, put your card back in and it should then offer you a receipt once more.
Reply 6
I imagine what's happened is that they've seen that you've paid for fuel on your card and they've automatically billed you £1 either for your records or to start the process of billing you fully. They will then remove the full amount from your account after a few days. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you did everything correctly so the ball is now in their court.
Reply 7
The £1 is a pre-authorisation amount. They take this to ensure that you have funds in your account to issue fuel. You will find that you either get billed the full amount at a later date and the £1 is returned, or you'll get billed the full amount less £1, to make it correct.

~Matt
Original post by jenniebabe
I went to ASDA to get some petrol and today I have checked my bank statement that ASDA only took me £1 for the petrol when I have brought £35 of petrol.
so, the first step I did was insert the card into the reader and put the pin in, then after it authroised the account, I took the card out and started to release fuel into the tank, after that I went. Is this the correct way of paying petrol at the self service pump?

Some self service pumps are different from others. I'm only familiar with ones where you enter the amount, swipe a card, then pump the fuel.

To be honest, I miss my childhood days where we'd pull up and a bloke would come and fill up our car, give the windows a little wash and sell some waters and snacks to us through the window, then we'd give him the money, a tip, and be on our way without ever leaving the car.
Reply 9
they pre authorise a quid to check that the card is valid, if that's accepted you can fill up to the amount shown, usually up to £99 worth of fuel.

The £1 wont be taken, but a couple of days later it will drop off and the full amount will be taken.

happens in pretty much all pay at pumps in this country, in places like France, the full amount shown is authorised on your card and then adjusted to the amount pumped at a later date.

You gotta love UK pay at pumps, its a good get out when you reach the end of the week / month and you're skint, but need to fill up.
Reply 10
Just because it is 2015, doesn't mean all payments are made instantly... Except in North Korea were everything is free and all people are welcome.

Posted from NK
Reply 11
If you don t press 'no receipt', and then use the same pump at a later date, using the same card, it will print a receipt for the previous amount before you start entering your pin. So I always press 'no receipt' required.
Reply 12
Original post by stevo98
If you don t press 'no receipt', and then use the same pump at a later date, using the same card, it will print a receipt for the previous amount before you start entering your pin. So I always press 'no receipt' required.

Thanks for bumping a dead thread with your ever so valuable input...

Latest