The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I've Just got my UKCAT Scores, and I'm really worried I haven't done well enough to support my application now!
VR-670
QR-710
AR-650
DA-580 :/
average 652
Band 2 for situational judgement, I'm currently doing biomedical sciences and scoring high firsts consistently in all my modules, but i'm not sure how strong my application is anymore :/
Original post by Jacqualyn
I've Just got my UKCAT Scores, and I'm really worried I haven't done well enough to support my application now!
VR-670
QR-710
AR-650
average 652
Band 2 for situational judgement, I'm currently doing biomedical sciences and scoring high firsts consistently in all my modules, but i'm not sure how strong my application is anymore :/

Sadly that won't be good enough for the 4-year courses, unless you can look at schools who don't use the UKCAT. You may be in with a shout for some 5-year courses so do have a look around if that's financially an option.

If it isn't, don't be too discouraged. It takes most of us more than one cycle to get in! People improve with multiple attempts, and an extra year of experience is never a bad thing!
Original post by Jacqualyn
VR-670
QR-710
AR-650
average 652

Are you taking the GAMSAT? 652 is pretty low for GEM. Maybe apply for courses that don't use entrance exams (Bristol is one, I think).
Original post by NellyMelly
Hi,
I was wondering what the application process was.
Do you apply in your last year of university or after ?
Let's say you apply at the beginning of 3rd year & you receive an offer .What will this offer be?
When I was younger I did want to do medicine but I went to a very bad secondary school (I really wish I moved in year 8) ,I didn't get amazing GCSEs only 4A 2B 2C 1D* .I bombed my alevels & came out with BBB but personally I know I could've done better :frown:
Deep down there's something in me that wants it but there's another part saying you're not good enough .It seems the med applicants at my school had incredible statistics .In my head there's a voice saying "you're not good enough".
I was hoping my alevels would make up for my crappy GCSEs but I let anxiety & family problems get to me.
Sorry for the ramble ,Good luck everyone whichever stage you're at.Hope to follow in your footsteps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vast majority of the unis don't care what GCSEs or A levels you had. I have ABBD at A level but got an offer for Nottingham this year. Yes you can apply in your final year and if you receive an offer it will be conditional subject to you achieving a certain classification, passing an occupational health check and a DBS check. Most unis ask for a minimum of a 2.1 but some like Swansea and Nottingham accept a 2.2 if you do better in the GAMSAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
Are you taking the GAMSAT? 652 is pretty low for GEM. Maybe apply for courses that don't use entrance exams (Bristol is one, I think).

I know, Its super frustrating, My A levels aren't too great so Bristol is out for that, I am planning on taking the BMAT for Oxford though, so it may be my saving grace yet :/
Original post by Mr Men
Vast majority of the unis don't care what GCSEs or A levels you had. I have ABBD at A level but got an offer for Nottingham this year. Yes you can apply in your final year and if you receive an offer it will be conditional subject to you achieving a certain classification, passing an occupational health check and a DBS check. Most unis ask for a minimum of a 2.1 but some like Swansea and Nottingham accept a 2.2 if you do better in the GAMSAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I understand .Would it be a waste of time trying to get my chemistry or maths to an A?
I know it doesn't matter but I can't stand looking at BBB it's just eerhhhh.
Congrats!!! .What was your undergrad degree in?.I go to a pretty low ranking uni so I'm aiming for a 1st.The first year I played around & ended up with a few 50s ,60s & one 70+
I'm hoping for Nottingham GEM lol ,that was my firm university which I missed last year .
It's such a lovely place .The weird thing is after I missed it my mum was like "it's not the end ,you'll go to Nottingham for your post graduate" maybe she predicted the future teeheee:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh I understand .Would it be a waste of time trying to get my chemistry or maths to an A?
I know it doesn't matter but I can't stand looking at BBB it's just eerhhhh.
What are studying at Nottingham? :smile:
I'm hoping for Nottingham GEM lol ,that was my firm choice which I missed last year .
It's such a lovely place .The weird thing is after I missed it my mum was like "it's not the end ,you'll go to Nottingham for your post graduate" maybe she predicted the future teeheee:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally if you are applying for medicine via the GEM route I wouldn't bother re sitting it.

I'm starting the GEM course next month at Nottingham. They don't even care what A levels you had as long as you have a degree, do well in the GAMSAT and have relevant work experience you'll get an interview.

Yeah hopefully she predicted the future. What year are you in now then? Are you going into your 2nd or 3rd year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
Personally if you are applying for medicine via the GEM route I wouldn't bother re sitting it.

I'm starting the GEM course next month at Nottingham. They don't even care what A levels you had as long as you have a degree, do well in the GAMSAT and have relevant work experience you'll get an interview.

Yeah hopefully she predicted the future. What year are you in now then? Are you going into your 2nd or 3rd year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing! (I realised you start next month then I edited my previous post haha)
I'm going to my second year & was just thinking of things I could do to enhance my overall employability as well as some relevant work experience .I don't want to make the same mistake I did with undergraduate where I hardly had any relevant work experience .It was quite difficult when it came to writing my personal statement .With GEM I know work experience is very important

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
That's amazing! (I realised you start next month then I edited my previous post haha)
I'm going to my second year & was just thinking of things I could do to enhance my overall employability as well as some relevant work experience .I don't want to make the same mistake I did with undergraduate where I hardly had any relevant work experience .It was quite difficult when it came to writing my personal statement .With GEM I know work experience very important

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did an undergrad masters in chemistry. Start looking at some ward volunteering and shadowing doctors/consultants. It's always good to try and see a junior doctor at work compared to a consultant. A big thing about the work experience is how you reflect from your experiences. Take a notebook and pen with you and jot down things you didn't expect, how you would approach a situation etc etc. Long term work experience such as volunteering on a ward/ care home is looked upon more favourably than a few days shadowing here and there.

It's always good to get involved with some societies at uni as well to show you are well rounded. Sports teams etc. If your uni has a LINKS society (which is a st johns ambulance thing) then go for that too!

Don't forget to focus on your current course though as ultimately you will need a 2.1 to be confident in applying to most places.
Original post by Mr Men
I did an undergrad masters in chemistry. Start looking at some ward volunteering and shadowing doctors/consultants. It's always good to try and see a junior doctor at work compared to a consultant. A big thing about the work experience is how you reflect from your experiences. Take a notebook and pen with you and jot down things you didn't expect, how you would approach a situation etc etc. Long term work experience such as volunteering on a ward/ care home is looked upon more favourably than a few days shadowing here and there.

It's always good to get involved with some societies at uni as well to show you are well rounded. Sports teams etc. If your uni has a LINKS society (which is a st johns ambulance thing) then go for that too!

Don't forget to focus on your current course though as ultimately you will need a 2.1 to be confident in applying to most places.

Thank you so much .I have taken a screenshot of your reply haha!
Really great advice .I will be joining a few societies this year ,last year I isolated myself & that ended up not doing me any good.Hoping for a better balance this year .
Must be a tough job for admissions.It must be difficult to stand out because everybody has done quite a lot but I'm determined!
Thank you so much :smile:
Please stay on tsr whilst studying in the next 4 years ,I may need you in a few years! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much .I have taken a screenshot of your reply haha!
Really great advice .I will be joining a few societies this year ,last year I isolated myself & that ended up not doing me any good.Hoping for a better balance this year .
Must be a tough job for admissions.It must be difficult to stand out because everybody has done quite a lot but I'm determined!
Thank you so much :smile:
Please stay on tsr whilst studying in the next 4 years ,I may need you in a few years! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha no worries. Happy to help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men

Hey I joined LINKS society last year and learnt the first aid with St John Ambulance, but never actually did the exam to become a trainee first aider. Would you think this is even worth mentioning considering I don't have any qualifications in it? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Also do you think they'd know what LINKS is or just mention SJA in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why graduates can't defer entry? For 4 or 5 year courses it seems?

I was considering applying to Leicester but they don't let graduates defer and keep their offer. They have to achieve a high ukcat the following year and risk not getting the offer again.

Also is anyone else considering applying to Leicester? According to their scoring system I would get 61.5/68 but not sure if thats a 'safe' score to apply with. The cutoff last year was 57 but since they've got rid of their graduate course it will probably go up?
Original post by Ebuwa
Lol I'm glad you agree with me. I thought I was being mean.

Nothing wrong with people asking questions even if they are easily Googled/obvious. It generates conversation and keeps the community alive, after all. :smile:
Reply 1354
Sorry if this has already been asked 10 times before...

Does anyone know if/when they will release the preliminary UKCAT scores for this years test? I know last year they released the first means and decile ranges around the 10th of August based on those that had already completed the test.
Original post by DoeADeer
Hey I joined LINKS society last year and learnt the first aid with St John Ambulance, but never actually did the exam to become a trainee first aider. Would you think this is even worth mentioning considering I don't have any qualifications in it? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Also do you think they'd know what LINKS is or just mention SJA in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm part of Links to. Worth mentioning it if you think it is applicable- learnt anything valuable but imo the qualification is best. SJA (University name) LINKS

Original post by converseallstars
Nothing wrong with people asking questions even if they are easily Googled/obvious. It generates conversation and keeps the community alive, after all. :smile:

I never said it was wrong, thanks
Original post by ZJT
Sorry if this has already been asked 10 times before...

Does anyone know if/when they will release the preliminary UKCAT scores for this years test? I know last year they released the first means and decile ranges around the 10th of August based on those that had already completed the test.

IIRC I saw on the UKCAT Twitter feed that they weren't releasing preliminary stats this year since apparently 50% of candidates take the test in the last two weeks.
Original post by EssBee_92
Does anyone know why graduates can't defer entry? For 4 or 5 year courses it seems?

I was considering applying to Leicester but they don't let graduates defer and keep their offer. They have to achieve a high ukcat the following year and risk not getting the offer again.

Also is anyone else considering applying to Leicester? According to their scoring system I would get 61.5/68 but not sure if thats a 'safe' score to apply with. The cutoff last year was 57 but since they've got rid of their graduate course it will probably go up?

Leicester took their course down
Brutal. I'm not surprised at that though given their admissions criteria for the grad scheme kept on being amended and amended and amended. Looked like a fantastic place to apply to but clearly ever increasingly difficult to apply to.
Original post by topgear1987
Brutal. I'm not surprised at that though given their admissions criteria for the grad scheme kept on being amended and amended and amended. Looked like a fantastic place to apply to but clearly ever increasingly difficult to apply to.

I applied to them last year and they kept me hanging on for an interview and the rejected me. They said I was 0.5-1 mark off the mark for interview! I wanted to scream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending