The Student Room Group

Didn't get the AS grades for medicine- I need advice

I really need advice here,

Right, I've got my AS results today, they weren't enough to apply for medicine 1C, 2D and E (all three sciences and maths), I would like to re-sit my AS next year whilst doing A2, but if I didn't get a offer at a university this year, will I be able to submit a UCAS application again in August 2016 next year for university entry in 2017?

Please help

Scroll to see replies

Not trying to be harsh but there is a 0.1% chance you would get a medicine offer with CDDE.
I would do resits and you will be able to take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.
However do you think you could get AAA when you got CDDE at as when you had no resits to do,maybe medicine is not for you?
I would look at alternative courses such as nursing, but if you want to go all out for medicine then do it, you would have to resit everything though tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by whydoidothis?
Not trying to be harsh but there is a 0.1% chance you would get a medicine offer with CDDE.
I would do resits and you will be able to take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.
However do you think you could get AAA when you got CDDE at as when you had no resits to do,maybe medicine is not for you?
I would look at alternative courses such as nursing, but if you want to go all out for medicine then do it, you would have to resit everything though tbh.

Thanks for your reply, what I mean is that if Re-sit AS whilst sitting for the A2 exams and get the grades I wanted. will be able to send a new UCAS application in August 2016 for the university entry in September 2016?
Original post by rocketp95
Thanks for your reply, what I mean is that if Re-sit AS whilst sitting for the A2 exams and get the grades I wanted. will be able to send a new UCAS application in August 2016 for the university entry in September 2016?

Oh ok your question makes sense now.
No you would have to take a gap year as medicine application deadlines are normally october 2015 which is before results day.
Found a link hence edit.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/key-dates/2016
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

Hi there,

It's very unlikely that you would be able to resit all your AS modules while also revising and sitting your A2 exams. Also, its unlikely medical schools will offer you an interview based upon these AS results. Your best bet would be to consider resitting entirely, but please do bear in mind most medical schools reject students who have resat.

Best wishes.
Reply 5
Nope. Medicine rarely goes into clearing. You will need to take a gap year and tell them what you'll be doing in the gap year. Either way, you really need to do well next year i.e get AAA. This time next year if you get AAA (which will probably be a lot harder,) then there's nothing stop you. So focus on doing well in those exams.

Look at A101 (with foundation year) applications provided you're genuinely socio-economically disadvantaged or go to a really bad college/sixth form with a low pass rate.
I really need advice here,

Right, I've got my AS results today, they weren't enough to apply for medicine 1C, 2D and E (all three sciences and maths), I would like to re-sit my AS next year whilst doing A2, but if I didn't get a offer at a university this year, will I be able to submit a UCAS application again in August 2016 next year for university entry in 2017?

Please help

Hi the same thing happened to me I got CDDD. It looks like our best options now are to resit most AS papers and apply next september with our final A level results.
Reply 7
Original post by senz72
Nope. Medicine rarely goes into clearing. You will need to take a gap year and tell them what you'll be doing in the gap year. Either way, you really need to do well next year i.e get AAA. This time next year if you get AAA (which will probably be a lot harder,) then there's nothing stop you. So focus on doing well in those exams.

Look at A101 (with foundation year) applications provided you're genuinely socio-economically disadvantaged or go to a really bad college/sixth form with a low pass rate.

Is it possible to re-take the whole AS starting september 2015 and do A2 in 2016 september, will the universities accept that?
This kind of happened to me but I got better grades than you for AS (BCCD), I gave up on medicine dream and went for engineering instead. Kind of glad that I did tbh, medicine is a lot of work plus I don't want to do 9-5 rest of my life.
Hey guys!

I just got my AS too today. I got

A- Biology
B- Chemistry
C- Physics
C- Maths

Should I give up on medicine?
Reply 10
Is it possible to re-take the whole AS starting september 2015 and do A2 in 2016 september, will the universities accept that?

Very and I mean very few unis accept A-levels over three years and even then you're competing against AAA predicted students who have done their A-levels over two years. Nothing's impossible, you just have to work hard. You'll need ECs and Experience to stand out!

It's really hard to find universities which will accept that, you have a much better chance at getting accepted by resitting your AS and doing your A2 in the same year and instead of applying for this October apply next year(2016) so you will apply with your full A-level results.
Reply 12
Original post by sofburgos
Hey guys!

I just got my AS too today. I got

A- Biology
B- Chemistry
C- Physics
C- Maths

Should I give up on medicine?

They are lower then what would be ideal but you can still make it work. You will need to get your teachers to predict high grades (AAA/A*AA) and then work as hard as you can to achieve those 3 A's. Plus, when you apply, make sure you choose medical schools which don't focus too heavily on what you achieved at AS, play to your strengths (eg: your work experience).
Original post by senz72

Hi, so I got my As results today and I am extremely disappointed... but your comment really stood out to me.

My grades were:

A- Biology
B- Chemistry
C- Physics
C- Maths

Thanks x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi, so I got my As results today and I am extremely disappointed... but your comment really stood out to me.

My grades were:

A- Biology
B- Chemistry
C- Physics
C- Maths

The pass rate of my sixth form is very low ( I go to a British school in Spain, and hence I also do the Spanish system)
My grades were distinctively higher than my classmates- theres been a few UUUU and DCEU cases... Does the A101 take this into consideration? Help is much appreciated!

Thanks x

Not entirely sure how it works with Spain and whether you'd be actually be allowed to enter A101 courses. Sorry.
My sixth form college is treated in the same way as any British one. Is that how the A101 courses work?
Reply 16
These are my AS results

B in biology(just scraped a B)
B in chemistry(5 UMS of an A)
B in geography(10 UMS of an A)
C in maths( 1 mark of an B)might think about remarking:frown:

Are these good AS results to get into medicine?
Reply 17
My sixth form college is treated in the same way as any British one. Is that how the A101 courses work?

i think you must be in the UK to apply for this,but I'm not sure.
Original post by help089
i think you must be in the UK to apply for this,but I'm not sure.

I doubt it because EU applicants must generally be treated the same as domestic ones.
Original post by help089
These are my AS results

B in biology(just scraped a B)
B in chemistry(5 UMS of an A)
B in geography(10 UMS of an A)
C in maths( 1 mark of an B)might think about remarking:frown:

Are these good AS results to get into medicine?

If you drop maths and can get your teachers to predict you AAA for next year then you might be in with a chance of some interviews, however you will probably need a good UKCAT and good GCSEs and to avoid schools which use AS as part of their selection. It might be better to resit a few units alongside your A2s next year to be sure of getting AAA or higher and apply with achieved grades as you'll probably stand a better chance of getting offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending