The Student Room Group

Maths and Music Degree

I am thinking of taking a joint honours degree with Maths and Music.
I know this can be done at places such as Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
If anybody is doing this/just got a place please tell me your grades and if you enjoy it thanks!
Hey :smile: Not sure if you have already submitted your ucas, but I am on the maths and music course at leeds, would highly recommend it! Be prepared for a challenge though, and make sure you really enjoy both subjects. Cheers, Joe
Reply 2
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes I've already sent of my ucas but your comments were great so I'm very happy with my decision thanks for the confirmation.
Original post by joeboult78
Hey :smile: Not sure if you have already submitted your ucas, but I am on the maths and music course at leeds, would highly recommend it! Be prepared for a challenge though, and make sure you really enjoy both subjects. Cheers, Joe
Great combination of subjects :smile:
Original post by Kzard
I am thinking of taking a joint honours degree with Maths and Music.
I know this can be done at places such as Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
If anybody is doing this/just got a place please tell me your grades and if you enjoy it thanks!

Hi! I'm considering applying for a joint honours degree for Maths and Music and was wondering what universities you put as your top 5 and which one you ended up taking! Due to the lack of maths and music people on TSR I'm struggling to get some recent feedback on what the course is actually like at a range of universities haha :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Hi! I'm considering applying for a joint honours degree for Maths and Music and was wondering what universities you put as your top 5 and which one you ended up taking! Due to the lack of maths and music people on TSR I'm struggling to get some recent feedback on what the course is actually like at a range of universities haha :biggrin:

Hey sure. I applied to Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds, Cardiff and Surrey. I'm currently doing the course at Cardiff (insurance) and am happy to answer any questions about it.
Original post by Kzard
Hey sure. I applied to Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds, Cardiff and Surrey. I'm currently doing the course at Cardiff (insurance) and am happy to answer any questions about it.

Awesome - thanks so much for your reply! What's it like at Cardiff in terms of workload, module flexibility and facilities? Also since Cardiff was your insurance, I was wondering what your firm choice was? (Thanks again so much!)
Reply 7
Awesome - thanks so much for your reply! What's it like at Cardiff in terms of workload, module flexibility and facilities? Also since Cardiff was your insurance, I was wondering what your firm choice was? (Thanks again so much!)

Yea sure. I was told lots before my degree that joint honours feels like more than 2 subjects. However at Cardiff, it is the only uni for maths and music where none of the core music modules are compulsory. This means you don't have to do some modules like harmony, performance or comp if you don't want to and can replace them with other modules you find easier to work for. Other unis don't give you the choice and can mean more taxing work. The facilities in Cardiff are decent. However they do not compare to unis like Leeds and Birmingham which on a technological scale do have better facilities and a bigger department. My firm was Leeds by the way.

And no problem I'm more than happy to reply and wish someone could have done this for me a year ago!
Original post by Kzard
Yea sure. I was told lots before my degree that joint honours feels like more than 2 subjects. However at Cardiff, it is the only uni for maths and music where none of the core music modules are compulsory. This means you don't have to do some modules like harmony, performance or comp if you don't want to and can replace them with other modules you find easier to work for. Other unis don't give you the choice and can mean more taxing work. The facilities in Cardiff are decent. However they do not compare to unis like Leeds and Birmingham which on a technological scale do have better facilities and a bigger department. My firm was Leeds by the way.

And no problem I'm more than happy to reply and wish someone could have done this for me a year ago!

Wow Cardiff sounds great! If you had the opportunity to go to Leeds already knowing what Cardiff was like, would you choose Leeds or Cardiff?
Yeah it's so weird - I expected more people who do maths and music to be on TSR since there's such a strong correlation between the two subjects! :redface:
Reply 9
I expected more people who do maths and music to be on TSR since there's such a strong correlation between the two subjects! :redface:

Maybe ask about the music aspect in this forum:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1291
Reply 10
Wow Cardiff sounds great! If you had the opportunity to go to Leeds already knowing what Cardiff was like, would you choose Leeds or Cardiff?
Yeah it's so weird - I expected more people who do maths and music to be on TSR since there's such a strong correlation between the two subjects! :redface:

Yea it is very flexible here. That's a hard question to answer and I'm honestly not sure. I by far preferred the uni at Leeds itself. However I would have been forced to take harmony units and thinking about it now I would have struggled with it and had a lot more work. So I think it depends how good you are at music or if you struggle with something in particular.
And yea there's only 3 people this year taking my course so it's not very popular haha.
Original post by joeboult78

Hi, I was wondering how much music knowlage do you need to have for the course? Do you start at the beginner level (starting to read notes and play beginner etudes) or more advanced (doing harmony and playing stuff like Bach or Beethoven) ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending