The Student Room Group

Would you rather live up North in a bigger house, or down south in a smaller house?

House prices in the North are considerably lower than those of the South. I live in the Midlands, just North of the infamous North/South divide. My goal in life is to move to Southern England, but I may struggle to afford something myself until I receive my parent's inheritance. My ideal location would be Kent, Sussex, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire - somewhere nice like this. However, I would only be able to afford a small house in a nice area - around £300,000. For this amount of money, I could buy a very large house up North in the countryside.

I do seem to care more about location rather than the house itself.

If faced with this choice, would you too think as I do? Or would you buy the larger house 'up North'?

Scroll to see replies

I'd rather have a small house in the North in a nice area.
Reply 2
Original post by littlenorthernlass

There are plenty of nice areas 'up North' - York, Harrogate and parts of the Lake District. It all depends on which of England's landscape you find most appealing. Personally, I don't like the North because it attracts a lot of criticism.

Why, when you have a choice of a big house in the North anyway :rolleyes:
Original post by Friar Chris

Big houses are empty and lonely and more expensive. I'd be like a ghost wandering around it. I'd rather have a small cute house with lovely furnishings.
Big houses are empty and lonely and more expensive. I'd be like a ghost wandering around it. I'd rather have a small cute house with lovely furnishings.

There's a difference between a big house and an unwieldy mansion. Like, for example, barn conversion. Those are very large, but not expansive and lonely :pierre:

This, buy a smaller house and save up on a nice car.
Reply 7

You must like those pretty villages with the small cottages and terraced houses. There's plenty of those near to where I live, but they'd cost you an arm and a leg for what is quite a small, though quintessential, 'house'.

You could fit in a nice hobbit hole out in the shires.
There's a difference between a big house and an unwieldy mansion. Like, for example, barn conversion. Those are very large, but not expansive and lonely :pierre:

I guess. It would still feel big and empty to me though. I'd rather a cosy little home that doesn't make me feel quite so alone.

Original post by Idiot10
You must like those pretty villages with the small cottages and terraced houses. There's plenty of those near to where I live, but they'd cost you an arm and a leg for what is quite a small, though quintessential, 'house'.

Yeah :daydreaming: That would be the dream.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You could fit in a nice hobbit hole out in the shires.

Are you ... are you calling me a hobbit? :nothing:
Smaller, down south. I don't want to leave my hometown!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somewhere to the left west, if that's what you call it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you ... are you calling me a hobbit? :nothing:

Do you have hairy feet?
Do you have hairy feet?

No, my feet are my best feature. :love:
Definitely would rather live up North, even ignoring house prices (which actually aren't all that good unless you live somewhere properly grim).

Oh wait, I do live up North :smug:
I guess. It would still feel big and empty to me though. I'd rather a cosy little home that doesn't make me feel quite so alone.

Oh you're planning on living alone with just your rabbits for company ofc, I forgot :rolleyes:
No, my feet are my best feature. :love:

Oh ye, I forgot about that :laugh:

You are proud of your feet. Like a hobbit :proud:
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh you're planning on living alone with just your rabbits for company ofc, I forgot :rolleyes:

Yes, I might even let them be house rabbits.

Oh ye, I forgot about that :laugh:

You are proud of your feet. Like a hobbit :proud:

I'm not a hobbit
The North, obviously.

The North has gravy, hendo's relish and proper fish & chips.

The South has inbred Tory voting snobs and jellied ****ing eel.

Because good areas up north aren't that cheap contrary to popular belief

Quick Reply

Latest