The Student Room Group

is it just me or are the grade boundaries weird for AQA?

hey guys

so i got my AS results today and it did not go that well however i compared my marks to the grade boundaries and guess what, i should have got higher than what i have got.

so basically for sociology unit 1 i got 56 out of 60 which should be an A* so basically an A but i was given a B. For unit 2 i got 50 out 90 which should be a C but i was given an E so over all it should be around a B. But i was given a D over all

for psychology unit 1 i got 28 out 72 so that's a U so they got that right. however for unit 2 i got 50 and was given a D but it should have been a B according to the grade boundaries so over all a D not a U. And the same applies for government and politics i was given a D but it should have been a C according to the grade boundaries .
i do AQA psychology and sociology and edexcel government and politics
do you think i was set up or something? what should i do? please help!!

thanks in advance
Reply 1
sure some of those aren't UMS instead of raw marks
Reply 2
there raw marks i doubled checked
Original post by Detiri17
sure some of those aren't UMS instead of raw marks
Reply 3
Original post by noey123
there raw marks i doubled checked

do seem weird then. I don't know what to say
order a script or get it remarked?
Reply 5
Original post by WaywardWriter
order a script or get it remarked?

do i have to pay to get it remarked?
Original post by noey123
do i have to pay to get it remarked?

yes but if it goes up. you get your money back
Reply 7
Original post by noey123
so i got my AS results today and it did not go that well however i compared my marks to the grade boundaries and guess what, i should have got higher than what i have got.

so basically for sociology unit 1 i got 56 out of 60 which should be an A* so basically an A but i was given a B. For unit 2 i got 50 out 90 which should be a C but i was given an E so over all it should be around a B. But i was given a D over all

for psychology unit 1 i got 28 out 72 so that's a U so they got that right. however for unit 2 i got 50 and was given a D but it should have been a B according to the grade boundaries so over all a D not a U. And the same applies for government and politics i was given a D but it should have been a C according to the grade boundaries .
i do AQA psychology and sociology and edexcel government and politics

The marks you are given are always UMS not raw - you have to go hunting for the raw marks. I think SCLY1 is out of 80 UMS, so 56 would be a low B, SCLY2 is out of 120 so 50 would be an E. 56+50=106 which is a D. So if these are UMS it all makes perfect sense.

Not sure for Psychology but I am 99% certain you are confused between UMS and raw marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
The marks you are given are always UMS not raw - you have to go hunting for the raw marks. I think SCLY1 is out of 80 UMS, so 56 would be a low B, SCLY2 is out of 120 so 50 would be an E. 56+50=106 which is a D. So if these are UMS it all makes perfect sense.

Not sure for Psychology but I am 99% certain you are confused between UMS and raw marks.
did you go on the aqa website to see this, because i did and its raw marks. please see for yourself and let me know thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by noey123
did you go on the aqa website to see this, because i did and its raw marks. please see for yourself and let me know thanks.

The exam boards always issue UMS marks, and for these the grade boundaries are always the same for every subject, every exam board and every year so there is no need to go anywhere to look them up.
80% or more - A
70-79% = B
60-69% - C
50-59% - D
40-49% - E

You can then go onto the AQA website to work out what raw marks you got based on your UMS but the grades you have received on your results sheet will be right for the marks you have been given.
Exact same thing happened to me , I checked my AS grades against the grade boundaries and they have given me E's and a U when according To the grade boundaries I should have C's and B's??
Original post by AmieLeigh35
Exact same thing happened to me , I checked my AS grades against the grade boundaries and they have given me E's and a U when according To the grade boundaries I should have C's and B's??

The OP was confused between UMS and raw marks. The results you have been given show UMS marks and the grades shown will not be wrong for the marks you have been given.

Quick Reply

Latest