The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
I think many colleges ask you to pre-pay for accommodation and possible some of college fees before a term starts.

There's an FOI showing that most don't, and those that do will wait for SFE funding to arrive. Actually, I think Emma will also wait a bit if you tell them asap you are waiting for SFE.
Original post by jneill
There's an FOI showing that most don't, and those that do will wait for SFE funding to arrive. Actually, I think Emma will also wait a bit if you tell them asap you are waiting for SFE.

EDITED: (due to my ageing brain...)
You'll get a bill when/just before a term starts which is payable wirhin a week after the term started.
(edited 8 years ago)
Emma's within 3wks sounds a bit early but I'm pretty sure accommodation charge is payable before you get there. You'll get a bill before a term starts.

Is this a common thing in Cambridge? A college fee for UK students that isn't returned until after you graduate? Not something we have over in Oxford so I'm curious :smile:
I have no idea how I ended up in this thread but congrats on everyone who made their offer :yy:

(and if any of you are doing bio natsci then I may well meet you in any genetics labs as i'll be a postgrad helper :colone:)
Congratulations to all! :smile: Welcome to the madhouse, ha. Looking forward to maybe seeing some of you (if you are MML/Tit Hall/both!) :smile:
4 A*s, got my offer and managed not to get stuck in a toilet, good day tbh (now I'm never gonna milk that joke ever again)
Original post by Lucilou101
Is this a common thing in Cambridge? A college fee for UK students that isn't returned until after you graduate? Not something we have over in Oxford so I'm curious :smile:

Are you talking about 'college deposit'?
If that's so yes. At the college my daughter was it was £150 and was returned when she graduated.
Didn't know Oxford didn't have it. Butter colleges at Oxford only provide accommodation for the first years, right? At Cambridge all colleges provide accommodation to all undergrads for at least 3 yrs, many of them during the course, so maybe that's one of the reasons.
Are you talking about 'college deposit'?
If that's so yes. At the college my daughter was it was £150 and was returned when she graduated.
Didn't know Oxford didn't have it. Butter colleges at Oxford only provide accommodation for the first years, right? At Cambridge all colleges provide accommodation to all undergrads for at least 3 yrs, many of them during the course, so maybe that's one of the reasons.

Yep maybe that's it - is Emma asking for £1500?

Nope accommodation is provided for 3 years at most colleges, only a few give it for 2. Most give it for all years including 4th :smile:
Yep maybe that's it - is Emma asking for £1500?

Nope accommodation is provided for 3 years at most colleges, only a few give it for 2. Most give it for all years including 4th :smile:

Not 100% sure but I think that includes other charges like accommodation, kfc, insurance, etc. as it's very similar amount to what we paid at the beginning of a term for our daughter.

Really? I thought it was only New College and one other who do that. That's what some people at Oxford I know told me......
Our friend's son has been living in a private accommodation since he was second year. I think he's at Pembroke....? .....or one of the colleges with a name of place.......
Not 100% sure but I think that includes other charges like accommodation, kfc, insurance, etc. as it's very similar amount to what we paid at the beginning of a term for our daughter.

Really? I thought it was only New College and one other who do that. That's what some people at Oxford I know told me......
Our friend's son has been living in a private accommodation since he was second year. I think he's at Pembroke....? .....or one of the colleges with a name of place.......

I mean you can choose to live out if you want to, but most colleges offer accommodation for at least two years, normally three and some four :smile:
Wait....£1500 was what we paid into our daugter's bank a/c so it included her living cost, too.

But anyway, I still think Emma's £1500 is not only deposit. The first bill was more expensive because it included insurance and other charges that was only payable at the beginning.
Five A Stars.

Life is good.
Reply 3372
Original post by paradoxicalme
Congratulations! I am still absolutely in shock about that, I didn't do brilliantly at AS so to see 200/200 at A2 blew my mind. Grade boundaries are awful this year. Also thank god for low psych boundaries, it would appear I only got 43/60 raw marks in one of my psych units but that was still an A*! RS boundaries did us all in - nobody got an A* in my group.

Ah the RS boundaries were extremely tough! Don't know how I managed my A*, had accepted defeat completely.
WOOP IM GOING TO CAMBRIDGE KINGS i missed my offer for French and Portuguese i got A/A/A i was meant to get A*/A/A but still got in YAY scared im going to be the only scouser there
I mean you can choose to live out if you want to, but most colleges offer accommodation for at least two years, normally three and some four :smile:

Interesting. That's not what they told me and they're three of them all at different colleges.... One of them was at new hall and her mum was so happy when her daughter got the offer from
them because (according to her) that's one of few colleges that offer accommodation for all through the course.
I shall interrogate them next time I see them! :biggrin:
Original post by Jasey
Ah the RS boundaries were extremely tough! Don't know how I managed my A*, had accepted defeat completely.

RS was my strong subject all through school and i was 2 marks of the A* to get into Cambridge luckily they still offered me the place fkin surprised tbh
Interesting. That's not what they told me and they're three of them all at different colleges.... One of them was at new hall and her mum was so happy when her daughter got the offer from
them because (according to her) that's one of few colleges that offer accommodation for all through the course.
I shall interrogate them next time I see them! :biggrin:

It may be that they've since built new accommodation and can house more? I only know of a few colleges which only offer 2 years accommodation - and even then you can sometimes get 3 through the ballot etc
Original post by parahmore
WOOP IM GOING TO CAMBRIDGE KINGS i missed my offer for French and Portuguese i got A/A/A i was meant to get A*/A/A but still got in YAY scared im going to be the only scouser there

Fear not, another scouser here! Spanish and German at St John's
It may be that they've since built new accommodation and can house more? I only know of a few colleges which only offer 2 years accommodation - and even then you can sometimes get 3 through the ballot etc

Is it possible some colleges have accommodation for 2/3/4 yrs but not for all the students, like you can get it if you're successful in ballots? Anyway one of them only graduated this summer and he only lived in college accommodation in the first year and it wasn't his choice he had to go private
In the second year onwards.
Is it possible some colleges have accommodation for 2/3/4 yrs but not for all the students, like you can get it if you're successful in ballots? Anyway one of them only graduated this summer and he only lived in college accommodation in the first year and it wasn't his choice he had to go private
In the second year onwards.

All colleges offer accommodation for at least two years - and thats an official stance.

Most will offer 3, sometimes 4. Normally those that don't also have it as an option through ballots - but that's the minority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending