The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Googy
Nope, but presumably they'll only release more wait list places if one of the original ones turn theirs down, which considering we had to make exeter medsci BSc our firm choice to be on the list seems very unlikely as it would then be their only med school offer.

Our only hope is if someone has changed their mind about wanting to do medicine or defers for a year, both of which is unlikely as I reckon everyone who did get a reserve place is a graduate.

Yeah probably not, that's pretty disappointing. They should let us know one way or the other though, I need to accept a clearing place otherwise
Reply 2041
Original post by Mike jones
Yeah probably not, that's pretty disappointing. They should let us know one way or the other though, I need to accept a clearing place otherwise

From your posts it looks like you've just finished A levels and achieved A* A*A and also got a reserve place for medicine in your first attempt. That is actually a huge achievement and shows you right for it - there are loads of second (3rd & 4th timers) and re-sitters who get in next time round. Just wanted to say don't rush into a clearing degree for the sake of it if its not really what you want. Graduate medicine is even harder to apply for and more expensive. A GAP year doesn't have to cost money - you could apply for jobs (eg HCA) to strength your application further and also take some time out from studying. I know lots of med and vet students who actually regret not taking a year out before starting their degree. Good luck!
Original post by Sika15
From your posts it looks like you've just finished A levels and achieved A* A*A and also got a reserve place for medicine in your first attempt. That is actually a huge achievement and shows you right for it - there are loads of second (3rd & 4th timers) and re-sitters who get in next time round. Just wanted to say don't rush into a clearing degree for the sake of it if its not really what you want. Graduate medicine is even harder to apply for and more expensive. A GAP year doesn't have to cost money - you could apply for jobs (eg HCA) to strength your application further and also take some time out from studying. I know lots of med and vet students who actually regret not taking a year out before starting their degree. Good luck!

Couldn't agree more. It is almost 'the norm' to apply more than once these days; my daughter got 3 interviews, no offers and AAB last year. This year she got 4 interviews, 3 offers and now has A*A*AA. Her gap year has been completely miserable (re-applying and re-sitting) but with grades in the bag she would have had the opportunity to work and travel...
Hello. Can anyone please let me know if they got into medicine at Exeter without maths at A2 level? Thank you :smile:
Original post by parawitch
Hello. Can anyone please let me know if they got into medicine at Exeter without maths at A2 level? Thank you :smile:

Don't know about this year but they certainly have in the past:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_statistics_4

I got in this year without a2 maths. As log as you achieve your offer ( usually a*aa) it should be fine. Ps I did do as maths, but I don't think it matters.

Hey, im pretty sure the terms of the offer are A*AA with A in chemistry and one of Bio/physics at A2, with biology studied at AS if not taken onto A2. (im not 100% sure on this, but relatively so)

some people then got offers of AAA due to contextual stuff
Gutted I was rejected for exeter medicine because of my low As grades after just achieving A*AA at A-level. Oh well, let's hope I can transfer!
Hello, I'm applying for 2016 entry and have 2 (possibly 3) predicted A*s. Can anyone tell me how the UKCAT was used this year for applicants with 2 or more A*s. Would really appreciate any info :smile:
Original post by Peterchart
Hello, I'm applying for 2016 entry and have 2 (possibly 3) predicted A*s. Can anyone tell me how the UKCAT was used this year for applicants with 2 or more A*s. Would really appreciate any info :smile:

This year, as far as I'm aware, those with A*A*A + had a significantly lower ukcat requirement (640 ish?) to get an interview and then only those with very good UKCATS with A*AA also got interviews. If you look on the exeter site, this year its clearer with there being 3 tiers. Those with A*AA in tier 3, A*A*A tier 2 and A*A*A* tier 3. (with achieved grades giving a 1 tier advantage, i.e. achieved A*A*A is tier 3.) Then within each tier you are ranked on UKCAT, and I'm assuming they move down the rankings until all the interview places are filled. (This is from the FAQ document on this page http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/ )

Therefore if you get a decent UKCAT you should be competitive for an interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Django
This year, as far as I'm aware, those with A*A*A + had a significantly lower ukcat requirement (640 ish?) to get an interview and then only those with very good UKCATS with A*AA also got interviews. If you look on the exeter site, this year its clearer with there being 3 tiers. Those with A*AA in tier 3, A*A*A tier 2 and A*A*A* tier 3. (with achieved grades giving a 1 tier advantage, i.e. achieved A*A*A is tier 3.) Then within each tier you are ranked on UKCAT, and I'm assuming they move down the rankings until all the interview places are filled. (This is from the FAQ document on this page http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/medicine/ )

Therefore if you get a decent UKCAT you should be competitive for an interview.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Will take a look at the document you quoted.
Wait... I'm aimed for AAA for my overall A levels and my ukcat is to be done on tuesday, and they don't have a tier for those aimed for AAA, does this mean I'll have less of a chance in getting an interview should I apply to the medical school?
Don't waste an application. 2015 A*AA predicted (A AS achieved) plus high UKCAT rec no interview. Unprofessional application procedure IMO - rejection letter then told they had seen my potential and offered an interview for the reserve list. I rejected them as already had credible offers elsewhere. Application process biased towards those with possibly inflated predictions.....
Went on to achieve A*A*A.... Be tactical and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JC_Costales
Wait... I'm aimed for AAA for my overall A levels and my ukcat is to be done on tuesday, and they don't have a tier for those aimed for AAA, does this mean I'll have less of a chance in getting an interview should I apply to the medical school?

It does mean you have a lower chance
But why not apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Mutleybm1996
It does mean you have a lower chance
But why not apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I think it would almost certainly be a wasted application with AAA, less so with A*AA but still risky.Getting into medical school is tough enough without handicapping yourself by applying somewhere where you have almost no chance of getting an interview. Look around and find other places where you have a better chance and then choose the 4 you like most (at least that is what I did)! Exeter is awesome but you've gotta be realistic, almost 70% of applicants get no offers from their 4 applications so you really need to make the most of each one.
Personally I think it would almost certainly be a wasted application with AAA, less so with A*AA but still risky.Getting into medical school is tough enough without handicapping yourself by applying somewhere where you have almost no chance of getting an interview. Look around and find other places where you have a better chance and then choose the 4 you like most (at least that is what I did)! Exeter is awesome but you've gotta be realistic, almost 70% of applicants get no offers from their 4 applications so you really need to make the most of each one.

Thanks for the advice :smile: just did my ukcat today and got 620, so I think I'll set aside medicine for now :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice :smile: just did my ukcat today and got 620, so I think I'll set aside medicine for now :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a fair few non-UKCAT universities that you could/should look into if you do want to do medicine. I didn't mean to dissuade you from medicine, I just didn't want you to waste an application!! If you have AAA predictions than you have a chance
There are a fair few non-UKCAT universities that you could/should look into if you do want to do medicine. I didn't mean to dissuade you from medicine, I just didn't want you to waste an application!! If you have AAA predictions than you have a chance

Honestly, I'm kind of torn whether to risk applying to medicine or to just do another course then apply, though I do have AAA predictions.... So you didn't dissuade me, just helped me rethink some stuff so dont worry about it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably best...

Yes! I did! I did bio, chemistry and psychology at A2 and have an AS in physics. So I never did a level maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending