The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geononymous
made my Imperial Geophysics offer :smile:
any others on here?

What A levels did you do? I really want to be in your position in 2 years time and want to get my a level choices right
Original post by ovarane4
Off to Liverpool to study Geology :biggrin: anyone else?

What A levels did you do? I really want to get my choice right
Out of interest....
so my fears came true and I got AABB in my AS results day. If it is any interest, I got full UMS in Geology and full UMS in Geography so I would expect to be given predictions of something like A*A*B.
Would you say I should get/ have good chances for an offer for the Masters at Birmingham or the Earth Sciences at Manchester?
Also well done to everyone who got what they needed, all the best.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shane Webb
Out of interest....
so my fears came true and I got AABB in my AS results day. If it is any interest, I got full UMS in Geology and full UMS in Geography so I would expect to be given predictions of something like A*A*B.
Would you say I should get/ have good chances for an offer for the Masters at Birmingham or the Earth Sciences at Manchester?
Also well done to everyone who got what they needed, all the best.

I got an offer for Earth Science Masters at Manchester- my grades being A*AB (and B being my only core science subject), you should get on the courses with these grades without problem- remember, the grades are not the only thing that matters- I got an AABC for my AS, so, you are not in a bad position :biggrin:
Original post by Geoenthusiast
What A levels did you do? I really want to be in your position in 2 years time and want to get my a level choices right

Ahh feels like 10 minutes since I was in your place. I did Maths Chemistry Physics and Economics then dropped Economics after AS.
Original post by Citipati
I got an offer for Earth Science Masters at Manchester- my grades being A*AB (and B being my only core science subject), you should get on the courses with these grades without problem- remember, the grades are not the only thing that matters- I got an AABC for my AS, so, you are not in a bad position :biggrin:

Thanks,
good luck with Manchester btw Citipati. It's a great place.
Original post by tdmbf4
Can anyone help with personal statement advice?

I can. PM me for help. What unis you applying to?
out of curiosity who's gotten into southampton this year?
Reply 708
Original post by geononymous
made my Imperial Geophysics offer :smile:
any others on here?

Me too :biggrin: so happy!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keele for Geology here :smile: yay.

FYI i did Geography Maths and Psychology so how should i prepare for the degree? I did GCSE Chem and physics so what exactly should i brush up on? tbh id rather read Geology books than some pure Chemistry books.
(Original post by oliilo)

I got AABB at AS level and I got offered an interview at Oxford and have a place at imperial, Durham, Bristol and saint Andrews, so I'm pretty sure Manchester and Birmingham would take you with those grades for earth sciences!

I too would love to know which subjects you studied as I am applying for Durham, Imperial and St Andrews in the coming months.
So my son got AADD at AS yesterday. The A's were in Geology and English the D's in Chemistry and Law. He's pretty upset as his predicted for Chem was A/B and his past papers have all been A. What to do now, frankly he hates chemistry and only did it instead of biology because his college decided to put geology and biology in the same column on the options grid because ''there's no overlap between the subjects''. Idiots. Now he's thinking of doing geography instead but his heart was set on Bristol Uni for Environmental Geoscience and they say on their website-

*Science subjects should include one or more from the following group: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics. Other science subjects include Environmental Science, Geography, Geology and Psychology. Hard science subjects include: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.

Can anyone offer any advice, thanks.
Original post by KingPanda
out of curiosity who's gotten into southampton this year?

I've just finished my first year of geology at Southampton so if you've got any qs just ask :smile:
Original post by FlyHigh_er
I've just finished my first year of geology at Southampton so if you've got any qs just ask :smile:

How should i prepare for my first year in Geology?
Original post by Velocity_
How should i prepare for my first year in Geology?

As someone who hadn't done geology at A Level, it is quite a shock, so I would recommend that you do a bit of research on minerals, on chemistry, make sure you understand basic A Level chem, at least up to AS if you haven't done it since GCSE. Brush up with on maths, at Soton we had to do a maths module dependant on how much maths you'd done up to then. I don't know where you're going but made sure you know geometry, algebra and calculus, those will be the most frequent things. There's not that much maths in the first year, but it can help.

In all honesty there isn't much you can prepare for, it all becomes quite new, especially if you haven't done it at A Level. If you're keen, read books on mineralogy, on tectonics and stratigraphy. At least, know the stratigraphic table from supereons to periods.

Mineralogy is the first and most important thing you learn, don't look at mapping to early because it can disrupt how you adapt to it when you start in the second semester.

Geology does have one of the highest drop out rates in % but once you get into it it's not that hard. Be prepared to be doing all four sciences and in further years a little econ and geog. But chemistry is the most important subject!

Any other qs, just ask :smile:
As someone who hadn't done geology at A Level, it is quite a shock, so I would recommend that you do a bit of research on minerals, on chemistry, make sure you understand basic A Level chem, at least up to AS if you haven't done it since GCSE. Brush up with on maths, at Soton we had to do a maths module dependant on how much maths you'd done up to then. I don't know where you're going but made sure you know geometry, algebra and calculus, those will be the most frequent things. There's not that much maths in the first year, but it can help.

In all honesty there isn't much you can prepare for, it all becomes quite new, especially if you haven't done it at A Level. If you're keen, read books on mineralogy, on tectonics and stratigraphy. At least, know the stratigraphic table from supereons to periods.

Mineralogy is the first and most important thing you learn, don't look at mapping to early because it can disrupt how you adapt to it when you start in the second semester.

Geology does have one of the highest drop out rates in % but once you get into it it's not that hard. Be prepared to be doing all four sciences and in further years a little econ and geog. But chemistry is the most important subject!

ok very informative :smile:
i didn't do AS Chemistry but im doing Geology and Physical Geography at Keele.
WHat books would you recommend me read before the start of the course and i dont mind chemistry but when it gets really complex i really dont like it.
I do love: Oil, Fossils, Volcanoes and Earthquakes though, i find them very interesting.
I did A-Level maths, Geography and Psychology so i have a bit of Maths knowledge and good Geography tectonic knowledge aswell.
ok very informative :smile:
i didn't do AS Chemistry but im doing Geology and Physical Geography at Keele.
WHat books would you recommend me read before the start of the course and i dont mind chemistry but when it gets really complex i really dont like it.
I do love: Oil, Fossils, Volcanoes and Earthquakes though, i find them very interesting.
I did A-Level maths, Geography and Psychology so i have a bit of Maths knowledge and good Geography tectonic knowledge aswell.

Okay, so the first thing you'd do is to learn your chemistry bc it will feel hard for you in the first semester.

Oil and volcanoes are mineralogy, you can find loads of books on that for basic understanding. Earthquakes requires the knowledge of the aforementioned so you can wait on that. Fossils you can find loads of books on.

For an all rounder book, I would recommend Earth: Portrait of a Planet by Steven Marshak, it's really good and informative.

If you did maths at A Level you're good to go.

In terms of chemistry if anything, make sure you understand isotopes, the periodic table, kinetics and properties of substances.

Anything else? :smile:
Okay, so the first thing you'd do is to learn your chemistry bc it will feel hard for you in the first semester.

Oil and volcanoes are mineralogy, you can find loads of books on that for basic understanding. Earthquakes requires the knowledge of the aforementioned so you can wait on that. Fossils you can find loads of books on.

For an all rounder book, I would recommend Earth: Portrait of a Planet by Steven Marshak, it's really good and informative.

If you did maths at A Level you're good to go.

In terms of chemistry if anything, make sure you understand isotopes, the periodic table, kinetics and properties of substances.

Anything else? :smile:

Thank you so much. Its very helpful!
sorry if its getting annoying but if you could help that would be great.
I had a look at the modules: http://www.keele.ac.uk/gge/students/geology/
and saw that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Portrait-Planet-Stephen-Marshak/dp/0393118266/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439580460&sr=8-5&keywords=Earth%3A+Portrait+of+a+Planet this was on the reading list but i dont want to read the books just yet but rather get prepared for the courses.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/gge/welcome/geology/#tabs-2 i saw this for it but, its very expensive, so i i'll buy one of them but i'm not sure which would benefit the most. I can read it before uni will start but i want it to be the most beneficial.
Any ideas? thanks :smile:

Oh god I am so underprepared...
Thank you so much. Its very helpful!
sorry if its getting annoying but if you could help that would be great.
I had a look at the modules: http://www.keele.ac.uk/gge/students/geology/
and saw that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Portrait-Planet-Stephen-Marshak/dp/0393118266/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439580460&sr=8-5&keywords=Earth%3A+Portrait+of+a+Planet this was on the reading list but i dont want to read the books just yet but rather get prepared for the courses.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/gge/welcome/geology/#tabs-2 i saw this for it but, its very expensive, so i i'll buy one of them but i'm not sure which would benefit the most. I can read it before uni will start but i want it to be the most beneficial.
Any ideas? thanks :smile:

It's cool :smile:

Earth: portrait of a planet is the most basic book, it is usually the underlying book for undergrads. But geology as a whole requires less reading and more understanding (which is why it's one of the hardest subjects) so you needn't buy either unless your uni library doesn't have more than one copy in stock. I didn't buy any book on the reading list and did just fine. None of the books on that page are necessary they will be in your library. Don't buy any of them.

If you're just about prep, all I can say is chemistry chemistry chemistry.

There really is no true prep as with other courses, it's just to make sure you're up to grabs with A level chem and maths. Physics doesn't get much into it until second year. But since you're doing phys geog, brush up on that.

About your modules:
Time and space is about how the universe came into being, evolution, theories and some basic mineralogy.

Planet earth is about how the earth works together, will probs include soils, some hard chemistry and physics like forces and spinning of the earth, basic planetary sci and the earth down to its core

Mineralogy and petrology explains itself but it's the module that will make its obvious the people that did chem a level and who didn't. People who didn't will struggle.

Sedimentary and fossils is kind of obvious but you will cover stratigraphy, learn about lots of fauna and flora and evolution, extinction events etc

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending