The Student Room Group

Is this enough for Nursing at university? AS results/retakes

Hi,firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place!

- so last year I didnt even take my exams due to ill health and realised my hopes of studying medicine were gone.

- I have just retaken year 12 with Sociology and Psychology (my school didn't want to add pressure on me so only allowed me to do 2 subjects) and my aim is now Adult Nursing/Mental Health Nursing.
- I got my AS results back today: I achieved a C in psych (B and D) and a U in Sociology.
- My plan is to retake the one unit in psychology I got a D in and continue with it,pick up btec health and social (I'm not too sure about credits or whether it's a certificate/diploma ect or how it works but you get two grades eg. DD) and I've already started an extended project.
Is this a good move? My head of sixth had approved this. Am I likely to be accepted into universities? I have lots of health care experience in elderly care homes,I did a placement in a hospital for a week and I was a carer for someone with a terminal illness with amputated legs for two years. I'm also thinking about GapMedics and maybe fundraising so I could do a nursing placement with them. I have lots of extra curricular activities/hobbies to add and I do think I'd make a good student. I'm very determined and enthusiastic.

Is this enough?! :s-smilie: Thank you so much in advance for your replies and sorry for the essay:tongue:
Original post by dragonsonmars
Hi,firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place!

- so last year I didnt even take my exams due to ill health and realised my hopes of studying medicine were gone.

- I have just retaken year 12 with Sociology and Psychology (my school didn't want to add pressure on me so only allowed me to do 2 subjects) and my aim is now Adult Nursing/Mental Health Nursing.
- I got my AS results back today: I achieved a C in psych (B and D) and a U in Sociology.
- My plan is to retake the one unit in psychology I got a D in and continue with it,pick up btec health and social (I'm not too sure about credits or whether it's a certificate/diploma ect or how it works but you get two grades eg. DD) and I've already started an extended project.
Is this a good move? My head of sixth had approved this. Am I likely to be accepted into universities? I have lots of health care experience in elderly care homes,I did a placement in a hospital for a week and I was a carer for someone with a terminal illness with amputated legs for two years. I'm also thinking about GapMedics and maybe fundraising so I could do a nursing placement with them. I have lots of extra curricular activities/hobbies to add and I do think I'd make a good student. I'm very determined and enthusiastic.

Is this enough?! :s-smilie: Thank you so much in advance for your replies and sorry for the essay:tongue:

If you get over 240 ucas points I think you d have a good chance if you get plenty of experience and work on your ps.(yes it is a good move) My only thought is that maybe you could consider taking a gap year so you already have the grades you need rather than having to go solely off predicted grades or you could consider foundation entry to nursing next year:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
If you get over 240 ucas points I think you d have a good chance if you get plenty of experience and work on your ps.(yes it is a good move) My only thought is that maybe you could consider taking a gap year so you already have the grades you need rather than having to go solely off predicted grades or you could consider foundation entry to nursing next year:smile:

Thank you for your reply,it's definitely given me some reassurance aha! I guess it's useful knowing all the options available out there:tongue:
Original post by dragonsonmars
Thank you for your reply,it's definitely given me some reassurance aha! I guess it's useful knowing all the options available out there:tongue:

Glad to help:smile: if you ever need anymore help let me know:smile:
Which nursing is more in demand?
adult nursing, child nursing, learning disability nursing or mental health nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest