The Student Room Group

Re doing year 12

I have heard re doing year 12 will disadvantage you when you go to UNI, is this true if you do completely different subjects?
I made a bad choice this year and didn't pick the right subjects for me because of outside pressures, I now know what I want and after getting bad as results its propelled me to go for it!
What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mapofspace
I have heard re doing year 12 will disadvantage you when you go to UNI, is this true if you do completely different subjects?
I made a bad choice this year and didn't pick the right subjects for me because of outside pressures, I now know what I want and after getting bad as results its propelled me to go for it!
What do you think?

I know plenty of people who retook year 12 and got into good universities. Don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you think?

Changing skies is completely right. People who repeated last year got into their first choices with universities such as Warwick. Unless you're aiming oxbridge and wanting to study medicine (even with those two there are exceptions as a guy who was nineteen guy at my school got accepted into Oxford to study classics. Then people still did foundation years or went to study medicine straight in universities like Nottingham) , you'll be fine. Moreover many students are repeating this September- at my school we had people coming in to restart year 12. I even saw some friends but don't worry as the opportunity to try again is given. Just in the second time round- smash it.
Reply 3
where you retaking is the questionnnnn
Do ucl for economics accept year 12 resitters?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Do ucl for economics accept year 12 resitters?

You would need to email them and ask. But they came into my school where many students were repeats and spoke about admissions. People still get into UCL even repeats but they did say the entry requirements could be raised for that individual depending on their situation. An example, let's say you needed AAA or A*AA to enter a course, they may raise it to A*AA or A*A*A which means that resit students would have to work harder the second time round.
Reply 6
Original post by Cherry82
You would need to email them and ask. But they came into my school where many students were repeats and spoke about admissions. People still get into UCL even repeats but they did say the entry requirements could be raised for that individual depending on their situation. An example, let's say you needed AAA or A*AA to enter a course, they may raise it to A*AA or A*A*A which means that resit students would have to work harder the second time round.

Does that still apply if you change to completely different subjects, ones you didn't do the year before?
Does that still apply if you change to completely different subjects, ones you didn't do the year before?

Oh I'm not sure about that sorry. I did hear though from teachers that this would be counted technically as still two years due to doing new subjects and reforms. If you're changing completely and because of the new system/exams being introduced this September it may not be of a disadvantage considering these factors. Especially if you ended up doing extremely well in them. But note, certain A level subjects have become fully linear meaning that you won't have half a grade in AS then another in A2. AS has become a standalone qualification so you'd have to sit it all at the end of A2.
Reply 8
Oh I'm not sure about that sorry. I did hear though from teachers that this would be counted technically as still two years due to doing new subjects and reforms. If you're changing completely and because of the new system/exams being introduced this September it may not be of a disadvantage considering these factors. Especially if you ended up doing extremely well in them. But note, certain A level subjects have become fully linear meaning that you won't have half a grade in AS then another in A2. AS has become a standalone qualification so you'd have to sit it all at the end of A2.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I am quite worried about re doing the year 😊
Yes, that is one of the reasons I am quite worried about re doing the year 😊

Don't worry. There are actually many advantages with this new system, especially being the first year to do them.
Have you noticed that for us this year and the years before, exams increased in terms of difficulty? Exam boards purposely tried to alter patterns and deliver more challenging questions as they faced immense pressure from the government due to the grade A inflations. But one thing that always takes place, when a new system is introduced- the first years are often given 'easy', predictable exams. The same thing happened in 2008/2009. Specimen papers that are very similar to the actual exam are often set by the exam boards also on their websites, they have recently introduced programmes/internet courses to help with student's revision. They have also provided a timetable that compares the old and new system so students and teachers could see what content changed and did not.

Unlike before, there are many more resources and programmes set in place in my opinion. To be very honest, I had looked at the new courses, comparing them to the current syllabuses and it's still the same content. All they have done really was switch the order and marking system. It's still the same thing..
An example, in Chemistry OCR we had Atoms, Bonds etc F321 and Chains energy resources etc. The content you would normally learn for these exams were switched in order. Rather you would see topics from F321 combined with content from like F324 in text books and in the specification.
But it's nothing to worry about. It actually seems a bit easier to some extent excluding the linear bit. There are already so many resources online, especially on the official exam board sites.
I think as long as you work closely with the specification, do the specimen papers and these previous past papers like from 2015, 2014 provided while learning the content you should do fine. Exam boards want students next year to do well as they want to prove that the decision to reform a levels were correct and right. It's a bit unfair as things would work in people's favour. It's mainly unfair for us currently as we are suffering from all of this but those starting in 2015 September would be kinda of lucky. It's why I'm considering repeating AS even though I could be allowed to enter A2.

Overall you should be ok. What are planning to take next year?
What do you think?

Original post by Changing Skies
I know plenty of people who retook year 12 and got into good universities. Don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I retook year 12, with different subjects! I've also contacted several unis during the past few weeks including RG ones and they don't seem to mind as long as it's only AS you're retaking. Plus you'll have still done the A-Level within 2 years! I made the same mistake last year - picked completely the wrong subjects because 'unis find them desirable' so go for it, you have nothing to lose!

PS. I went from EEUU to ABC. See, anything can happen! :biggrin:
Reply 11
i want to redo and all because i got bce and i want aaaa i will pick up another grade the most important thing for me is the reform and where to do the retake
Original post by MUTTA
i want to redo and all because i got bce and i want aaaa i will pick up another grade the most important thing for me is the reform and where to do the retake

Any sixth form college/ college would allow you tbh. Check out places like Leyton Sixth form college but that's if you live in London. But around your area, look for sixth form colleges as mostly these institutions allow repeats compared to sixth forms that are associated with a school.
Reply 13
Don't worry. There are actually many advantages with this new system, especially being the first year to do them.
Have you noticed that for us this year and the years before, exams increased in terms of difficulty? Exam boards purposely tried to alter patterns and deliver more challenging questions as they faced immense pressure from the government due to the grade A inflations. But one thing that always takes place, when a new system is introduced- the first years are often given 'easy', predictable exams. The same thing happened in 2008/2009. Specimen papers that are very similar to the actual exam are often set by the exam boards also on their websites, they have recently introduced programmes/internet courses to help with student's revision. They have also provided a timetable that compares the old and new system so students and teachers could see what content changed and did not.

Unlike before, there are many more resources and programmes set in place in my opinion. To be very honest, I had looked at the new courses, comparing them to the current syllabuses and it's still the same content. All they have done really was switch the order and marking system. It's still the same thing..
An example, in Chemistry OCR we had Atoms, Bonds etc F321 and Chains energy resources etc. The content you would normally learn for these exams were switched in order. Rather you would see topics from F321 combined with content from like F324 in text books and in the specification.
But it's nothing to worry about. It actually seems a bit easier to some extent excluding the linear bit. There are already so many resources online, especially on the official exam board sites.
I think as long as you work closely with the specification, do the specimen papers and these previous past papers like from 2015, 2014 provided while learning the content you should do fine. Exam boards want students next year to do well as they want to prove that the decision to reform a levels were correct and right. It's a bit unfair as things would work in people's favour. It's mainly unfair for us currently as we are suffering from all of this but those starting in 2015 September would be kinda of lucky. It's why I'm considering repeating AS even though I could be allowed to enter A2.

Overall you should be ok. What are planning to take next year?

Thankyou for being so helpful, this year I took history, chemistry, biology and physics, I wanted to do medicine but now I think I wanted to do it for the wrong reasons, I thought I could succeed as I got good GCSE'S and did enjoy science, however not as much as I enjoyed English and Philosophy. However I had people around me telling me what they thought I should do and I didn't want to let anyone down, so I just did it. I realised after a couple of months that the exams we were taking were going to be a lot harder and I started getting very worried, to the point where i was sick and literally a mess I would cry for no reason and I was just not happy at all. The funny part is during all this I was chosen to be head girl, which I'm going to have to give up to go to another school as my school will not allow anyone to repeat year 12. I got BEDE yesterday in the same order as I first wrote my subjects, I have never ever done so badly and I literallly had no idea what to do, but now I know where I went wrong, I'm hoping to study History, English lit, Government and Politics and Philosophy. Sorry about the really long paragraph, I just needed to write it all down, I think you are right though, the reforms may work in our favour :smile:
What is making you think you should resit year 12?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thankyou for being so helpful, this year I took history, chemistry, biology and physics, I wanted to do medicine but now I think I wanted to do it for the wrong reasons....

You are most welcome :smile: Glad I could help.
No, your paragraph was not that long- please let it out as I know how you feel. I'm going through this also and I know how tough it is. A lot of my friends are repeating year 12 this year, even those who went to grammar, selective schools. Many people faced disappointment and have to leave their current schools so you're not alone. Remember though this happened something greater is ahead. We're lucky to have another chance, especially if you will be doing courses that you are also interested in.

I like how determined and ready you are. Yea those starting this year will be very lucky, I've seen already new revision/study guides on Amazon and Ebay. They look appealing, most have ebooks and videos now unlike before which is also great. Aw, no worries I'm sure you'll know what to do with time :h: History, English lit with Government and politics is a great combination. You've started well knowing what you'll like to study. There are sixth form colleges such as Havering that teach these courses. As I'm not sure where you live, this could be far but you could search for sixth form colleges around your area then call in. I seriously wish you the absolute best. If your interests really are in those subjects honestly everything would be ok. Oh I wanted to repeat because I got really low grades and thought continuing with resits would be too stressful.

I know sometimes people are worried about unis not accepting them after repeating a year but in my school where 50% were repeats- many got into unis like UCL, Warwick and Manchester which are all Russell group universities. There is still hope x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
You are most welcome :smile: Glad I could help.
No, your paragraph was not that long- please let it out as I know how you feel. I'm going through this also and I know how tough it is. A lot of my friends are repeating year 12 this year, even those who went to grammar, selective schools. Many people faced disappointment and have to leave their current schools so you're not alone. Remember though this happened something greater is ahead. We're lucky to have another chance, especially if you will be doing courses that you are also interested in.

I like how determined and ready you are. Yea those starting this year will be very lucky, I've seen already new revision/study guides on Amazon and Ebay. They look appealing, most have ebooks and videos now unlike before which is also great. Aw, no worries I'm sure you'll know what to do with time :h: History, English lit with Government and politics is a great combination. You've started well knowing what you'll like to study. There are sixth form colleges such as Havering that teach these courses. As I'm not sure where you live, this could be far but you could search for sixth form colleges around your area then call in. I seriously wish you the absolute best. If your interests really are in those subjects honestly everything would be ok. Oh I wanted to repeat because I got really low grades and thought continuing with resits would be too stressful.

I know sometimes people are worried about unis not accepting them after repeating a year but in my school where 50% were repeats- many got into unis like UCL, Warwick and Manchester which are all Russell group universities. There is still hope x

I know a lot of people are resitting the year, which makes me feel a bit better (that's a bit selfish). I am from near Coventry so I am hoping to get into a sixth form near where I live that I orginally wanted to go to but didn't have the confidence to be away from my friends. Could you link me the resources if you don't mind?

I may have failed, but I have to turn this into a positive, as should everyone, hopefully I'll be able to help someone not make the same mistake xx
I did exactly this last year, I got disappointing AS results (BBCCC) and I knew I didn't work as hard as I could the first time round and knew I could do better if I chose the right subjects, so I moved to a completely new sixth form and swapped from biology, chemistry, maths and geography to history, English lit, economics and maths and ended up with AAAC this year.
I was told by unis that as long as you still complete 3 a levels in two years it doesn't affect you so I've had to drop maths as I repeated it, but overall I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done and it was so so worth it for me to do subjects I love, and I'm now looking to apply to Bristol/ Nottingham etc ☺️
Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by misslily98
I did exactly this last year, I got disappointing AS results (BBCCC) and I knew I didn't work as hard as I could the first time round and knew I could do better if I chose the right subjects, so I moved to a completely new sixth form and swapped from biology, chemistry, maths and geography to history, English lit, economics and maths and ended up with AAAC this year.
I was told by unis that as long as you still complete 3 a levels in two years it doesn't affect you so I've had to drop maths as I repeated it, but overall I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done and it was so so worth it for me to do subjects I love, and I'm now looking to apply to Bristol/ Nottingham etc ☺️
Good luck!

I will be repeating history this year, and its what I want to do for uni, I am only repeating it as I want to do it in 2 years and my new sixth form has a different exam board. Do you think I would be at a disadvantage?
What do you think?

Had absolutely no impact on me, all unis offered me a place and im doing law in a top 15 uni even after retaking. Don't worry at all work hard as hell and break your back to make up for your first year.
I know a lot of people are resitting the year, which makes me feel a bit better (that's a bit selfish). I am from near Coventry so I am hoping to get into a sixth form near where I live that I orginally wanted to go to but didn't have the confidence to be away from my friends. Could you link me the resources if you don't mind?

I may have failed, but I have to turn this into a positive, as should everyone, hopefully I'll be able to help someone not make the same mistake xx

Hey
I'm so sorry for replying late :/ I've been so busy trying to do research for new schools, different options for this year and what would be best to do in terms of careers and university. It's crazy because I realised we only have two weeks left till September. I've been trying to help my friends find a new school and it's been so stressful due to the short period of time so I know how you must feel. I'm not wishing anyone should fail but I wish results day was earlier so students could know what to do if things did go wrong.
But do you know what exam board you would be using for your subjects? I have the links/resources for the new sciences and some for English Literature. With English Literature though you'd have to know the set texts you would be looking at too as it varies for each school.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest