The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought the lesser of the two types is caused by fat deposits on the hormone receptors of the liver and that it can be cured by abstaining from some foods for a month or something because the hormone receptors to the insulin can work again and metabolise sugar. I may have got a U in Biology (and everything else) but I remember that at least
Reply 2
Original post by Vijay33
I am just looking to see what you guys think on how to treat diabetes naturally, and is it considered curable? I know the western medicine view, and spoke to a doctor (this is not for me btw) but I am trying to see what other types of healing is out there.......?

There are many views on diabetes, and eastern medicine have their own too. I have been researching in this for a while now, and this article here explains it pretty well, on treating diabetes or preventing it: http://humancure.com/does-diabetes-have-a-cure-ultimate-treatment/

Some people may disagree with the methodology but it doesnt matter, as it works, and people who have gone that way have cured their conditions. Basically it says that diabetes is not even a real disease, but just laziness compiled over time, and high sugar levels damaging the body over time (hence sometimes worse case you end up losing a foot!) and all this is avoidable by simple things like going on a pure protein diet and increasing movement of the body (exercise).
Reply 3
Original post by HornDirndlFest
I thought the lesser of the two types is caused by fat deposits on the hormone receptors of the liver and that it can be cured by abstaining from some foods for a month or something because the hormone receptors to the insulin can work again and metabolise sugar. I may have got a U in Biology (and everything else) but I remember that at least

Yes i was thinking the same with the restraining from some foods too... thanks

Original post by source
There are many views on diabetes, and eastern medicine have their own too. I have been researching in this for a while now, and this article here explains it pretty well, on treating diabetes or preventing it: http://humancure.com/does-diabetes-have-a-cure-ultimate-treatment/

Some people may disagree with the methodology but it doesnt matter, as it works, and people who have gone that way have cured their conditions. Basically it says that diabetes is not even a real disease, but just laziness compiled over time, and high sugar levels damaging the body over time (hence sometimes worse case you end up losing a foot!) and all this is avoidable by simple things like going on a pure protein diet and increasing movement of the body (exercise).

awesome that article is what i was looking for! restraining from sugars and fats basically. I knew it i just wanted to make sure what people thought. thanks
Reply 4
It depends on the severity of the condition as how well the person recovers. Apparently people who always drink water constantly always have diabetes but they just don't know it. Not that drinking water is bad, but the person gets thirsty faster than usual. This is eastern medicine to some extent as they look at the body holistically. I would say do your research on it and study the article well. It says many things on many levels.
Certain types of diabetes can be controlled just with diet, which I am guessing comes under "natural" methods. Many cannot though. For many, such as those with type 1 diabetes like myself, you can choose between the 2 following options: take insulin/pills every day or die slowly. Perhaps cutting carbohydrate from your diet might slow the damage (though I am not sure of this), but the outcome will be inevitable and with the understanding and manageability of the disease offered by modern medicine, it would be utter foolishness to go for some silly 'alternative' like homeopathy or something.

Currently it is not curable and can only be 'managed' so as to minimise damage to the body, though stem cell research options are being tested and it is believed a cure is only a few years away.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
but with that said..........how long do you think a diet and exercise program should last?
Reply 7
It should really be a lifestyle change rather than seen as a treatment. That's how natural cures work, constant change of lifestyle.
Original post by source

This article is highly misleading. Diabetes, though correlated with obesity and bad diet, is not necessarily always caused by it. I have type 1 diabetes. Began showing symptoms 10 years ago at age 12 and was diagnosed at 13. Never been under or overweight a day in my life (except in the months before my diagnosis where I became underweight because of the effects of the undiagnosed and uncontrolled diabetes). Was always active (ran some major cross country runs at age 12 and was always good at sport) and it was ensured by my mother that I had a good diet with little sugar and processed foods. Just switching to a protein diet does NOT cure or 'overcome' diabetes. Fact. Increasing the amount of meat you eat as opposed to sugar/carbs can be done to help manage SOME types of diabetes (not type 1 but some cases of type 2).

Simply switching to meat does not address the body's inability to produce/utilise insulin. The absence of this hormone will cause a lot of problems, even if barely any sugar/carbs are consumed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am actually outraged by its assertion that "prescription medicine till this day never cured any condition". I'm sorry, but **** that. Ever heard of PENICILLIN or any of the other antibiotics? It has demonstrably saved millions upon millions of lives by curing them of diseases! Modern medicine has been the main driving force behind increasing the average life expectancy in modern developed countries from 30ish to almost 80! That is so obviously ridiculous, I can't believe any of you could take this article seriously on any level! This so called "Eastern Medicine" hasn't done anywhere near as much!

Not only that, but asserting that going onto a 100% protein diet will make you look younger is also ridiculous! What about fruit and veg? You'd die of scurvy if you followed this advice. The most ridiculous article I have EVER read.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by source

Giving out advice from sites like that is not just misleading, it's potentially dangerous.
Reply 11
Original post by The Good Doctor
I am actually outraged by its assertion that "prescription medicine till this day never cured any condition". I'm sorry, but **** that. Ever heard of PENICILLIN or any of the other antibiotics?

Antibiotics aren't an invention by the pharmaceutical industry. Nor is penicillin, its just a chemical thats also found in willow tree, and they used this for thousands of years in Chinese medicine, so it was not a creation by pharmaceutical companies.

Yes, both types of diabetes have been cured using the above diet alone, the type 2 takes longer - but the protein diet is there to address the insulin production issue, because the body cant produce its own, as it has been damaged, and carbs and sugar do not help this (at least in certain eastern medical perspective) - the western medicine prespective is, if it doesnt make it, then supply it, and try to live that way till you die - if you choose to live that way, so be it, but you cannot enforce this to others and defame an article because you fail to see the truth in it.

I have and am working with the top scientists, one of them being an eastern medicine doctor who is using eastern medicine with the latest technology, and it has already been proven that diet can cause the changes needed - but it is difficult for someone diabetic to be on that diet.

Anyway, you dont have to be overweight to have diabetes, that is a rather narrow view of the condition. You can still be stagnant (an eastern med term) and be a normal weight, does not mean you have good circulation or "it mysteriously happened to you".
Reply 12
Original post by The Good Doctor

Not only that, but asserting that going onto a 100% protein diet will make you look younger is also ridiculous! What about fruit and veg? You'd die of scurvy if you followed this advice.

if you havent been on that diet, nor ever seen the results yourself, how can you even react in that way, or say anything about it? Its nonsensical. I am saying this about it, as i have witnessed it clearly, in myself, others and the people who i have prescribed this to, old or young.

Please read the article again - it does not say only protein, it says leafy greens, and last time I checked, leafy greens actually qualify as a veg.

having diabetes since 10 does not mean you have an active lifestyle. Have you ever heard of a person who exercises everyday, and does not indulge in carbs and fat, develop diabetes? no. Yes, its possible that it was passed through parents, but this can still be corrected, just takes longer for gene expression to change, this too has been done.

the reason we avoid fats, sugars and carbs is because it affects the hormones too much - some diabetics need to be monitored by a doctor, or transition to it slowly so its easier to do, and do it long term.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by source
Antibiotics aren't an invention by the pharmaceutical industry. Nor is penicillin, its just a chemical thats also found in willow tree, and they used this for thousands of years in Chinese medicine, so it was not a creation by pharmaceutical companies.

Not wanting to call you out on you bull****.... but penicillin was first identified in a fungi called Penicillium (the clue is in the damned name). This is really basic biology. It kind of brings everything else you say into question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Q: What do you call alternative medicine that works?

Spoiler

Original post by HornDirndlFest

Hi, I'm considering to do Biology how did the U arise a lack of work ethic or was it just simply hard to get your head round in exam. I'm interested in your opinion as id rather not do a subject which could damage my results. I might be a coward but apparently biology is one of the hardest A levels I enjoy it at GCSE level how does this vary into AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Quantex
Not wanting to call you out on you bull****.... but penicillin was first identified in a fungi called Penicillium (the clue is in the damned name). This is really basic biology. It kind of brings everything else you say into question.

before modern science even existed, over 2,000 years ago, they knew about this, it just wasnt called that - the same drug in Aspirin is the one found in willow tree which they boiled to take it out - its not an invention.

Im sure the drug was named after a fungi, but when was this named? it was still recent - and again, it is a natural compound, not a creation of the pharmaceutical industry, which is my point.

Quote from wiki: "was first described in the scientific literature by Johann Heinrich Friedrich Link in his 1809 work" - 1809 was sooner than 2,000 years ago.

So no, it does not put everything ive said into question. I am not into ego bashing. I am stating facts, which you can look up.

Edit: I realize what you meant - as I said it came from Willow tree, what i was trying to say that it still was a natural ingredient, and not an invention by a pharmaceutical company.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
You are really quite idiotic. I don't care if I'm reported but please take your idiocy elsewhere.

Type 1 diabetes can develop in anybody, regardless of diet. I hate it when complete idiots like yourself start spouting rubbish without knowing the first thing about the topic they're talking about.

Thanks for the rude remarks, shows a lot about you,

I didnt say it was only diet, nor is this my opinion alone, it is an eastern medical point of view of the condition, and that is what I am talking about. Please read carefully, im not here to have an ego bashing, nor have time for it in my life, if you do, then go elsewhere as I rather have a decent discussion with someone and learn from it.

It can be diet, but it can be lack of exercise as it happens because of too much sugar (ie fat/sugar including carbs) in the body and not enough processing - this itself is the eastern view of it, but yes, i know in western medicine there are different ways of seeing it.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by source
before modern science even existed, over 2,000 years ago, they knew about this, it just wasnt called that - the same drug in Aspirin is the one found in willow tree which they boiled to take it out - its not an invention.

Im sure the drug was named after a fungi, but when was this named? it was still recent - and again, it is a natural compound, not a creation of the pharmaceutical industry, which is my point.

Quote from wiki: "was first described in the scientific literature by Johann Heinrich Friedrich Link in his 1809 work" - 1809 was sooner than 2,000 years ago.

So no, it does not put everything ive said into question. I am not into ego bashing. I am stating facts, which you can look up.

Confusing penicillin with salicylic acid is not stating facts, its getting things completely wrong.

But what I am far more interested in is....

Original post by source
I have and am working with the top scientists, one of them being an eastern medicine doctor who is using eastern medicine with the latest technology, and it has already been proven that diet can cause the changes needed - but it is difficult for someone diabetic to be on that diet.

Can you please cite some of the papers published by these top scientists you claim to be working with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Quantex

But what I am far more interested in is....

Can you please cite some of the papers published by these top scientists you claim to be working with.

the fact that you asked that shows your ignorance on how scientists work.

im done. not here to argue for the sake of arguing.