The Student Room Group

I did really badly in AS. It was a lot worse than I expected.

I got ADDE. Other than the A in ICT, the other three, Maths, Psychology and Geography, in order of grades were really bad. I really wanted to do Maths at University but I feel like there's no point because of how badly I did. I did way better than what result I was given and I will get C1 and D1 remarked (got D and E in exams). I'm very disheartened

I really want to go to university and I love Maths but I genuinely don't know what happened. Is it worth doing a foundation year? Please help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leenorton
I got ADDE. Other than the A in ICT, the other three, Maths, Psychology and Geography, in order of grades were really bad. I really wanted to do Maths at University but I feel like there's no point because of how badly I did. I did way better than what result I was given and I will get C1 and D1 remarked (got D and E in exams)

I really want to go to university and I love Maths but I genuinely don't know what happened. Is it worth doing a foundation year? Please help!

You could do a foundation year but it would be more money. Would you be completely against redoing year 12, carrying on ICT to A2 but repeating your other AS Levels? I retook year 12 and it's turned out brilliantly for me!
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
You could do a foundation year but it would be more money. Would you be completely against redoing year 12, carrying on ICT to A2 but repeating your other AS Levels? I retook year 12 and it's turned out brilliantly for me!

Yeah I would be completely against resitting Year 12, I still hear stories of people getting in with terrible grades in Year 13 but I'm in a bit of a situation where idk what to do anymore. Also with the new A Level changes I don't think it's worth it
Reply 3
let me guess u were getting 65-70 in ur mocks for c1 and c2
Yeah I would be completely against resitting Year 12, I still hear stories of people getting in with terrible grades in Year 13 but I'm in a bit of a situation where idk what to do anymore. Also with the new A Level changes I don't think it's worth it

OK, then you should probably go for the foundation year :smile: There are very good universities that offer foundation years - Durham, Keele and I think Nottingham may be another. If it does happen that you get grades that are above the requirements for a foundation year you could always go through Adjustment if you felt the need to. If you feel passionate about doing Maths, don't give up! This was just another obstacle that you had to get over, and now you have one less!
Reply 5
retake c1 go for the A i will be doing the same, if u get enough ums to pull you up to a C it will be an okay base to get ABC at A2
Reply 6
I also done really bad in my AS and I have lost all hope😭 I got CDE and merit in applied science (AS-half btec) is it possible for me to get ABB 😭???? I give up on education at this point I did revise but I don't know what went wrong 😭 got C in RS D chemistry And E maths
Why are you against redoing year 12? If you want to do maths at uni then you should definitely just retake year 12
Reply 8
Original post by buddy98
retake c1 go for the A i will be doing the same, if u get enough ums to pull you up to a C it will be an okay base to get ABC at A2

Yeah I'll definitely retake C1, C2 and D1, ik it's hassle but I'd rather do that. I found C2 really hard but I felt I achieved the grade I should've got, I should've got roughly B and C on C1/D1 I think.
Pay to see your papers find out what went wrong .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by anonwinner
Why are you against redoing year 12? If you want to do maths at uni then you should definitely just retake year 12

Mixture of reasons because of the opportunities to get on courses even when not achieving like AAB for example; one of my friends needed ABB and got on to his course with BDE without going through clearing. I would not want to resit a year in school even if I moved to another one
I messed up too, I done every maths paper from 2003 onwards and got 90% all the time so I got A's with all exams but when I done the actual exam I got a C 😭😭😭 why why why??????? How?!?!!!!!
Reply 12
Original post by Dizem.Tekin
I messed up too, I done every maths paper from 2003 onwards and got 90% all the time so I got A's with all exams but when I done the actual exam I got a C 😭😭😭 why why why??????? How?!?!!!!!

Same here,
It happened in all of my exams
I were getting A's in all the mocks and ended up getting C's in my real exams
Original post by buddy98
Same here,
It happened in all of my exams
I were getting A's in all the mocks and ended up getting C's in my real exams

It's so unfair I'm so dissappointed my medical dream is pretty much all over and I don't know what to do 😭
Reply 14
I forgot that I could do that; if my remarks don't cost loads which they probably will then I'll consider it. Thanks :smile:
Original post by wildleaves
Pay to see your papers find out what went wrong .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Did C1 **** you over too? I knew I definitely didn't get a D or an E in Decision. Might be worth remarking, that's what I'm planning to do. :smile:
I got ADDE. Other than the A in ICT, the other three, Maths, Psychology and Geography, in order of grades were really bad. I really wanted to do Maths at University but I feel like there's no point because of how badly I did. I did way better than what result I was given and I will get C1 and D1 remarked (got D and E in exams). I'm very disheartened

I was in a similar situation. When i first got my AS results i got CDEU, I was not expecting to do that bad at all. Fast forward although i was against retaking the year i still did and i received BBCC

B in maths and ict, C in computing and biology.

I worked hard during my first year of AS but i later realised the way I was working wasn't as effective which i corrected during my second year of repeating AS.

I would advice resitting the year, getting your papers to see where you went wrong, and working on from there. It will be alright don't lose hope! If you do resit the year you will only be resitting 3 subjects which means you will have more free periods to work!

If it helps i could have gotten my A in maths but i screwed up in S1 again 😷

Think of the bigger picture. If you don't want to resit you might want to consider retaking quite a few modules x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Get your paper and see where you went wrong. Did you mark the practise papers yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
[QUOTE=Blob :);58467985]I was in a similar situation. When i first got my AS results i got CDEU, I was not expecting to do that bad at all. Fast forward although i was against retaking the year i still did and i received BBCC

B in maths and ict, C in computing and biology.

I worked hard during my first year of AS but i later realised the way I was working wasn't as effective which i corrected during my second year of repeating AS.

I would advice resitting the year, getting your papers to see where you went wrong, and working on from there. It will be alright don't lose hope! If you do resit the year you will only be resitting 3 subjects which means you will have more free periods to work!

If it helps i could have gotten my A in maths but i screwed up in S1 again 😷

Think of the bigger picture. If you don't want to resit you might want to consider retaking quite a few modules x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i want to resit modules, not the whole year
Did C1 **** you over too? I knew I definitely didn't get a D or an E in Decision. Might be worth remarking, that's what I'm planning to do. :smile:

I really hope it doesn't cost a lot because this is so unfair, I worked so hard to get a C??

Quick Reply

Latest