The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Hi, my offer for politics was confirmed today and I'll be joining in September! Was just wondering when we hear about where we are living and when we are moving in as both my parents are working on the 20th and the 19th is the only day I can move in?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by sa97
Hi, I made a clearing application through the clearing hotline early today and was told that my application would be sent to admissions for consideration. However I have not received any calls or emails to tell me if I can be accepted or not today. Is this normal, would I expect contact tomorrow? Sorry I'm just a bit anxious because I would really like to attend Sheffield!

Good morning

Thanks for applying to Sheffield :smile:. The person you spoke to would have completed our Clearing application form for you and then sent your application to one of our admissions tutor, who works through the applications in time order. We did receive a large volume of enquiries yesterday and we are working through the applications as quickly as we can. You should hear something from us today by phone or by email. If you would like to talk to someone about your application, please call our Clearing helpline on 0114 222 8015 (it's open until 5.30pm today).

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Original post by lara.h
Hi, my offer for politics was confirmed today and I'll be joining in September! Was just wondering when we hear about where we are living and when we are moving in as both my parents are working on the 20th and the 19th is the only day I can move in?

Hi Lara

Congratulations on your exam results! I'm really pleased that you're coming to Sheffield in September :smile:.

In terms of accommodation and room allocations, it depends on when you applied. If Sheffield was your Firm choice and you applied before 31 July, you should receive your room allocation by the end of business today.

If you haven't applied for accommodation yet (or only applied for accommodation yesterday), then the room allocation will be confirmed at the end of August/early September at the latest.

I'm sorry you can't make the Intro Weekend but fully undertand why. We can arrange for you to collect your key on another day. When you know your room, please email [email protected], including your name, the property you'll be living in, your estimated date and time of arrival and why you're moving in on a different date.

Before you arrive in Sheffield (and if you're on Facebook), we advise that you join the Facebook group for your flat. These have been set up by our Accommodation team and, when you know which room you're in, you can join the right group! All the groups are listed here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social

You can also join the main Accommodation Facebook group, which is at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniversityofSheffieldaccommodation/

Congrats again on coming to Sheffield. We'll see you in September :smile:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Recruitment Officer
Original post by marinanutshell
hi! I'm an international student and I did meet my offer a while ago, I called Admissions last Friday and they told me they would update my Track status today but there haven't been any changes. I'm worried I'll miss accommodation placement or any new information about what to do next and I don't know if I should call the University or wait??

Good morning

I'm very sorry there's been a delay in updating your Track status. Please can you send me a private message providing your name, UCAS ID, date of birth, and the course you've applied for and I'll look into this for you.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Hi
I asked to defer my Sheffield place yesterday for medical reasons but the website kept coming up with an error message and saying it may not have submitted. I did get an automatic confirmation email though saying it had, could I just check that it did please and ask when I may get a reply?
Thank you!

Edit: I also rang the clearing helpline beforehand but they told me to do it on the website and gave me the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
Hi
I asked to defer my Sheffield place yesterday for medical reasons but the website kept coming up with an error message and saying it may not have submitted. I did get an automatic confirmation email though saying it had, could I just check that it did please and ask when I may get a reply?
Thank you!

Edit: I also rang the clearing helpline beforehand but they told me to do it on the website and gave me the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Apologies for this error. Please can you send me a private message providing your name, UCAS ID, date of birth, and the course you've applied for and I can look on our system for your application.

Best wishes,
Imogen
2nd year BA Economics student
Just got accepted to study medicine!
I got my accommodation application in before the deadline, do you know when we might hear anything?
Hoping to do an IKEA trip soon, but I was wondering if you knew of anywhere I could find a list of what is actually provided in the accommodation, e.g. do we get a bedside lamp/any bedding/etc.?

Reply 227
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi Lara

Congratulations on your exam results! I'm really pleased that you're coming to Sheffield in September :smile:.

In terms of accommodation and room allocations, it depends on when you applied. If Sheffield was your Firm choice and you applied before 31 July, you should receive your room allocation by the end of business today.

If you haven't applied for accommodation yet (or only applied for accommodation yesterday), then the room allocation will be confirmed at the end of August/early September at the latest.

I'm sorry you can't make the Intro Weekend but fully undertand why. We can arrange for you to collect your key on another day. When you know your room, please email [email protected], including your name, the property you'll be living in, your estimated date and time of arrival and why you're moving in on a different date.

Before you arrive in Sheffield (and if you're on Facebook), we advise that you join the Facebook group for your flat. These have been set up by our Accommodation team and, when you know which room you're in, you can join the right group! All the groups are listed here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social

You can also join the main Accommodation Facebook group, which is at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniversityofSheffieldaccommodation/

Congrats again on coming to Sheffield. We'll see you in September :smile:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Recruitment Officer

From what I understand the uni specifies a day either 19/20 to move in and I can move in on the 19th only. If I asked would that be possible?

Also I applied on the day the application for accommodation opened a few months ago for Endcliffe en suite. What are the chances of me getting that?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by lara.h
From what I understand the uni specifies a day either 19/20 to move in and I can move in on the 19th only. If I asked would that be possible?

Also I applied on the day the application for accommodation opened a few months ago for Endcliffe en suite. What are the chances of me getting that?

Thank you :smile:

Hi Lara,

When you receive your accommodation offer, it may be that the 19th is the day you are allocated. It may be worth contacting accommodation services at this email address: [email protected]
I think Endcliffe en suite is the most popular choice, but there are over 2,000 of these type of rooms available, and as you applied early there may be a better chance. The other types of university accommodation are also nice, but you'll just have to wait.

Best wishes,
Imogen
Original post by BurningRainbows
Just got accepted to study medicine!
I got my accommodation application in before the deadline, do you know when we might hear anything?
Hoping to do an IKEA trip soon, but I was wondering if you knew of anywhere I could find a list of what is actually provided in the accommodation, e.g. do we get a bedside lamp/any bedding/etc.?

Burning Rainbows,

Congratulations, that's great. I'm really happy for you!

The emails confirming accommodation (as you applied before the 31st July) will be sent by the end of office hours today. As there are so many places to allocate, I appreciate that it takes us a while to get everything sent out.

There's a list of what you need to bring on the Uni Accommodation website:http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/arriving
Also, there are answers to various questions on the University Accommodation on the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniversityofSheffieldaccommodation/?fref=ts
In my personal experience there was a desk-light, but no bedside lamp, bedding was not included (I brought my own mattress cover, too...) and there are appliances in the Kitchen.

This blog post may also be useful:https://shefunistudents.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/ten-things-to-pack-for-uni-and-eight-things-to-leave-at-home/
(Though I personally think the travel kettle is too far...)

Good luck, I hope you love it here!
Kyle
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi

Apologies for this error. Please can you send me a private message providing your name, UCAS ID, date of birth, and the course you've applied for and I can look on our system for your application.

Best wishes,
Imogen

Thank you, I have PMed you! Any information would be really helpful, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Thank you, I have PMed you! Any information would be really helpful, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've an update for you :smile: and I'll send you a private message now.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Hello,
I've been accepted to study Civil Engineering as an insurance choice (very pleased :biggrin:) and I'm a little unsure about the accommodation I've chosen since I was only just able to apply this morning. As my department buildings are at the opposite end of campus to Endcliffe I chose the nominated accomodation, only now I've read quite a few reviews where people are unhappy with the facilities and I'm a little worried. Your guarantee says that the two options I was given are standard rather than based on anything though, so I'd just like to know if that means there's no chance of being placed in university owned city accommodation?
Essentially, are the two choices I was provided with definitely all that are left?
Thank you very much!
Noye
I've an update for you :smile: and I'll send you a private message now.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Hi,

Yesterday I managed to get a place at Sheffield's University though clearing, I got a verbal confirmation and and email.

How much time does it take for the Uni to change my status in the UCAS track in order for me to apply for accomodation?

Kind Regards
Original post by Axtrix
Hi,

Yesterday I managed to get a place at Sheffield's University though clearing, I got a verbal confirmation and and email.

How much time does it take for the Uni to change my status in the UCAS track in order for me to apply for accomodation?

Kind Regards

Hi Axtrix,

You need to accept the offer from Sheffield on Track yourself, then once it is listed Unconditional Firm, you will be able to apply for accommodation.

Hope this helps,
Imogen Butcher
Reply 236
Hi Axtrix,

You need to accept the offer from Sheffield on Track yourself, then once it is listed Unconditional Firm, you will be able to apply for accommodation.

Hope this helps,
Imogen Butcher

I have added the university on my track and i only get this message
"The university or college is currently considering your application"
Original post by Axtrix
I have added the university on my track and i only get this message
"The university or college is currently considering your application"

Hi

Imogen referred your query to me. UCAS Track should be updated within 24 hours of you accepting the offer from Sheffield. If your status hasn't changed by tomorrow, please call the Clearing helpline on 0114 222 8015 (open 10am to 2pm on Saturday).

We do have plenty of accommodation so please don't worry about getting into accommodation owned by the university or one of our nominated partners.

Best regards

Elizabeth
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CrystalSavage
Hello,
I've been accepted to study Civil Engineering as an insurance choice (very pleased :biggrin:) and I'm a little unsure about the accommodation I've chosen since I was only just able to apply this morning. As my department buildings are at the opposite end of campus to Endcliffe I chose the nominated accomodation, only now I've read quite a few reviews where people are unhappy with the facilities and I'm a little worried. Your guarantee says that the two options I was given are standard rather than based on anything though, so I'd just like to know if that means there's no chance of being placed in university owned city accommodation?
Essentially, are the two choices I was provided with definitely all that are left?
Thank you very much!
Noye

Hi Noye

I'm left a message with our accommodation team this afternoon and I'll get back to you when I've heard from them. As you can appreciate, this is a very busy time and it might be Monday before I get a reply but I will update you as soon as I can.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by CrystalSavage
Hello,
Thank you very much!
Noye

Hi Noye

Our accommodation team have confirmed that univesity-owned city accommodation is currently full so you would be allocated a place in nominated accommodation. The nominated accommodation is very near our university-owned apartments so you will be living in an area where there is a good community of students. It's also very near the Diamond Building where you'll be studying :smile:

You'll also be able to join Residence Life, which is our programme of events and activities for students living in university-owned and nominated accommodation. You can find out more about this here: http://www.browzer.co.uk/shef/

We've also set up Facebook groups so that students who get a room in university-owned or nominated accommodation can meet their flat mates before they come to Sheffield. When you know which room you've been allocated you can find the right Facebook group here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social

I hope that helps. We're really pleased you're coming to Sheffield and look forward to seeing you in September.

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending