The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
The Cambridge one is up already . . . ! And here is the general 2016 thread for applying to university -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56421493&highlight=

Copy and paste this and fill it in below!

GCSE grades:
A-Levels:
Course:
College:

Mine is:

GCSE grades: 7 A*s, 2 As, 1 B
A-Levels: Hopefully AABB at AS and AAD3 at A2. And an EPQ.
Course: Oriental Studies (Egyptology)
College: The Queen's College

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you edit this link into your original post so we can get a stalking page going?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3504027&p=58435407
Well my results didn't go quite as planned- i got an A in music, B in german, and D's in latin and biology- i'm just wondering if i should bother applying to oxford, although i plan to do re-sits in my AS latin and german units, and get my biology papers remarked, as i was two marks off a C. i was so upset yesterday- i put so much work into my latin and i got a D, but i am so determined to improve those grades and get into a good university, along with my personal statement (which is still in the making). Please be honest with me. Because i keep being leaniant on myself. Thank you.
Original post by tilly5798
Well my results didn't go quite as planned- i got an A in music, B in german, and D's in latin and biology- i'm just wondering if i should bother applying to oxford, although i plan to do re-sits in my AS latin and german units, and get my biology papers remarked, as i was two marks off a C. i was so upset yesterday- i put so much work into my latin and i got a D, but i am so determined to improve those grades and get into a good university, along with my personal statement (which is still in the making). Please be honest with me. Because i keep being leaniant on myself. Thank you.

What did you get at GCSES? And what subject are you looking to apply for?

AS grades aren't considered holistically as part of the application process, they just need to show you can meet the AAA - A*A*A offer. Admissions tests may be important as well depending on course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1443
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
For E&M, candidates applying to us and invited for interview by an Oxford college achieved the following scores:

TSA problem solving: min 42, max 79, median 62
TSA critical thinking: min 48, max 78, median 65
TSA essay: min 45, max 70, median 62
TSA overall: min 50, max 75, median 63

For all subjects, the GCSE A* profiles are as follows:
a) any interview: min 1, max 13, median 8
b) any offer: min 1, max 12, median 9

Note that the minimum threshold for GCSE A* can be distorted by international candidates who offer multiple qualifications who may have taken the odd GCSE.

As before, our advice is to consider applying if you think you can match these scores.

How important is the TSA writing section for E&M applicants? How much of an advantage is having above average GCSEs (12A*s) and are there any colleges which place significantly more emphasis than others on GCSEs or any another factor? Thanks.
Original post by econ31
How important is the TSA writing section for E&M applicants? How much of an advantage is having above average GCSEs (12A*s) and are there any colleges which place significantly more emphasis than others on GCSEs or any another factor? Thanks.

All parts of the TSA count. The colleges also have a common approach to selection. As many candidates will be invited to interview as it is reasonable to schedule. In a few marginal cases where the selectors have to assign the last available spots, strong GCSEs may compensate for a lower TSA performance and vice versa. So above average GCSEs may provide a form of insurance, depending on how well you and everyone else does.
Original post by Lucilou101
What did you get at GCSES? And what subject are you looking to apply for?

AS grades aren't considered holistically as part of the application process, they just need to show you can meet the AAA - A*A*A offer. Admissions tests may be important as well depending on course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 A*'s, 6 A's, 3 Bs and 1 C and i plan to study music :smile:
I'm very late to the party, as I've only just considered applying to Oxford! (Still a little bit unsure to be honest, I might not be good enough:redface:)

GCSE grades: 8 A*'s, 3 A's and a Distinction (ICT)
A-Levels: Maths, French, Physics and an EPQ (Got AAAA at AS level, with the fourth AS being Further Maths).
Course: I'm thinking Law? Worried about the prospect of the LNAT! (I'm also looking at Archaeology and Anthropology)
College: I have no idea yet :redface:
Hi guys,

I want to do Classics
GCSE: 8A* 2A 1B
AS:
Latin-A (88%)
Greek-A (90%)
History-A (84%)
College: Either Worcester or LMH

Maths B (but Im dropping) and General studies C (lol)

The head of sixth form told me that there was no point even trying for Oxford as I wouldn't get in because my UMS aren't high enough, however, I thought Oxford didn't look at UMS. Also, compared to the rest of my year I didnt do that well. Should I go for Oxford or not?
Original post by Euphrosyne.
Hi guys,

I want to do Classics
GCSE: 8A* 2A 1B
AS:
Latin-A (88%)
Greek-A (90%)
History-A (84%)
College: Either Worcester or LMH

Maths B (but Im dropping) and General studies C (lol)

The head of sixth form told me that there was no point even trying for Oxford as I wouldn't get in because my UMS aren't high enough, however, I thought Oxford didn't look at UMS. Also, compared to the rest of my year I didnt do that well. Should I go for Oxford or not?

Yeah Cambridge look at UMS I believe, but Oxford do not, so you'll definitely be fine!!
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Well done on your AS results. Unless cashed in AS do not influence the outcome. The key thing is the A2 prediction. Applicants MUST be predicted A*A*A

Thanks for your reply. Also do you reckon there is any point remarking my Biology papers if it is unlikely to change my predicted grade, which will most likely be an A regardless?
Original post by Euphrosyne.

The head of sixth form told me that there was no point even trying for Oxford.

Wow, such supportive and ''well-informed'' guidance you have :/
Original post by Azzer11
Thanks for your reply. Also do you reckon there is any point remarking my Biology papers if it is unlikely to change my predicted grade, which will most likely be an A regardless?

We think you should discuss the option of a re-mark with your school who are best placed to offer advice.
Reply 1452
Anyone applying for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, guys :smile:
I have just received my A level results and am hoping to apply to read biochemistry at Oxford in 2016.
I achieved A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths but my GCSEs are less "Oxford standard". Is it still worth applying?
Thanks!
Original post by GM16
Anyone applying for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah
Original post by Ivoryfall
Wow, such supportive and ''well-informed'' guidance you have :/

Ikr, especially since the school is always painting an image of "encouraging our girls to aim high" and they are saying I dont stand a chance with 87 UMS average
Original post by claudiar99
Hi everyone,
I got 4 As at AS and 7 A* 3 A at GCSE, how should I go about getting an interview at Oxford to study English? Because some have told me that interviews are given randomly, so I've no idea what to do to secure one.
Thanks!

Hey I want to read English at Oxford too! This is just what my school has said but I think Oxford rank your GCSEs and ELAT test score, and look at your reference and PS to judge whether or not to give you an interview. Your GCSEs are solid, so if I were you I would focus on getting a good score in the ELAT (though that's not 'til November) and writing a clear PS. Just keep reading too: what I'm doing is focusing on a specific era/author to gain in-depth knowledge so I have something to talk about at an interview, were I to get one! Good luck :smile:
Hi! Looking to apply for History, potentially at Brasenose, but I need to visit Oxford.

My GCSE results aren't stellar - 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C. My AS results are 5 A's in English Lit, History, French, RE and Philosophy.

Most likely will be taking History, French and English OR Philosophy next year.

Do I stand a realistic chance?
Hi guys my AS results are heartbreaking. I ran out of time and was only able to finished one of the two essays in English and I got a C. I got full marks for my first one and for the second one, which I only managed to write an intro and begin analysing the first quote, I was rewarded with 3 marks. =.=
Before this C came along I was a passionate and strong English candidate and was on full gear to applying for English at Oxford, but now I have give up English and this feels like death. I now have to take up either a Biology degree or a Psychology one cos I got an A in Bio and Geography, and my EPQ is about dystopian fiction and I infused with cognitive psychology by looking at it this way.
Everyone thinks I can't make Oxford now as I'm nowhere as prepared with Psychology/Biology as I am with English - I wouldn't have enough to put into my personal statement given I'll have only a bit more than a month before the deadline. I will have to be under extra pressure cos the process is stressful and rushed and I'd still have normal school work along with my extra reading and building up knowledge on psychology/biology in the meantime. Also with my C... they're thinking the chance is slim, and that I should be realistic and face the truth and stick with Psychology or Biology at somewhere else.
But isn't it the fact that if you don't apply you don't get in? It's with this notion that I'm tempted to risk. My GCSE results are above average - 11A*. And it isn't my lack of ability that I got that C... (ok alright lack of exam techniques =.= )
Do you reckon if I'm still fit for Oxford?... I'm dying to know...
Original post by MoonVirgo
Hi guys my AS results are heartbreaking. I ran out of time and was only able to finished one of the two essays in English and I got a C. I got full marks for my first one and for the second one, which I only managed to write an intro and begin analysing the first quote, I was rewarded with 3 marks. =.=
Before this C came along I was a passionate and strong English candidate and was on full gear to applying for English at Oxford, but now I have give up English and this feels like death. I now have to take up either a Biology degree or a Psychology one cos I got an A in Bio and Geography, and my EPQ is about dystopian fiction and I infused with cognitive psychology by looking at it this way.
Everyone thinks I can't make Oxford now as I'm nowhere as prepared with Psychology/Biology as I am with English - I wouldn't have enough to put into my personal statement given I'll have only a bit more than a month before the deadline. I will have to be under extra pressure cos the process is stressful and rushed and I'd still have normal school work along with my extra reading and building up knowledge on psychology/biology in the meantime. Also with my C... they're thinking the chance is slim, and that I should be realistic and face the truth and stick with Psychology or Biology at somewhere else.
But isn't it the fact that if you don't apply you don't get in? It's with this notion that I'm tempted to risk. My GCSE results are above average - 11A*. And it isn't my lack of ability that I got that C... (ok alright lack of exam techniques =.= )
Do you reckon if I'm still fit for Oxford?... I'm dying to know...

Hey, couldn't you just re-sit the English exam? If you're like me, and have set your heart on English, I would re-sit. Your school don't need to mention the C, as long as they predict you an A/A* I would imagine it wouldn't affect your chances :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending