The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ki Yung Na
Fair enough, I just read your post above too, I've watched redline, I thought it was visually awesome and I liked the graphical work in terms of mechanics and stuff quite a bit too but can't say I rate it as highly as you but I'll still try!

Sword of the Stranger. Film of a ronin (masterless/rogue samurai) and a younger kid who becomes this ronin's new master. It's visually cool but more importantly it is mechanically awesome - the fight scenes are super cool and the graphics team seem to have done an excellent job with the battle, horse and fight scenes - of which there are plenty.

Nobunaga Concerto. It's based on a high schooler that goes back in time to the Era of Nobunaga - a Japanese shogun(?) who's incredibly famous. It's a funny anime, amusing throughout but really enjoyable. Again, the visuals are decent, it's a got a tidy, neat, clear kind of animation going on, similar to Sword of the Stranger, except Nobunaga Concerto is lighter in colour whereas the former has a much darker palatte.

AppleSeed Alpha. A film which I believe is fully CG! Whether you believe it or not, for a piece of CG it's done pretty damn well, it's again an action film with plenty of weapons, tanks, explosions and even some mecha. I mostly enjoyed the visuals for this one, otherwise I felt it wasn't all that special but I do think, if I remember correctly, it is comparable to Redline!

Hopefully some of this helps, if you've seen all of these, then let me know what else you've enjoyed, and maybe be more specific about what you don't like about those genres, and what you've liked about other anime :smile:

Wow cool. actually I've watched sword of a stranger and enjoyed it. The fighting is similar other anime with the strong clear moves which I found quite entertaining, the plot was slightly cliche though XD.

This second one I've never heard of and I'll be sure to give it a try, currently watching baby steps which was mention earlier in the chat which is kinda interesting, mostly because I play tennis myself so its quite cool to see how the technical stuff is portrayed, however I'll probably stop in a minute as I'm not usually into this sort of mind numbing stuff XD although the lost interest is fairly captivating.

I heard about appleseed, its quite a famous Marmite in the anime world, mostly because of the stigma against cgi, which I kind of see. Appleseed being a mojor talking point because the CGI is quite good XD. I had a friend tell me that the story line is kind of boring and its a lot of guns in a post apocalyptic setting with some mecha. It's on my to do list but I don't really want to watch it and then get an opinion on it and get into an argument over it, because I'm usually very opinionated. Hey ho.

Thanks again by the way, your knowledge of anime is very impressive :smile:.
Original post by Life48
I'd also (excluding all the mainstream stuff such as FMA) like to ask what everyone else thinks the pinnacle of they're anime watching to be?

I have a Top 50 list, with Baccano! currently taking the top spot. I find it hard to imagine anything beating it for me, few other series come close to fitting such a good story and large, interesting cast of characters into such few episodes, and with no pacing issues either. :yes:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I have a Top 50 list, with Baccano! currently taking the top spot. I find it hard to imagine anything beating it for me, few other series come close to fitting such a good story and large, interesting cast of characters into such few episodes, and with no pacing issues either. :yes:

I've actually heard really good things about this, definitely on my list, do you have this top 50 list handy? as if my to watch list wasn't long enoughXD

Spoiler

Aha yes! I really like Sword of the Stranger, it's by far one of my favourite films. I think I've watched it twice, which for me, is pretty unheard of. Another film I think very highly of is without a doubt summer wars; perhaps check that out? It's definitely unique, and again, animated very well.

Regarding tennis, that's pretty cool, I've never played it unfortunately but I'd like to try someday, I'd probably be awful at it though. I have to warn you, Baby steps can be quite repetitive at times and to be honest the tennis isn't all that interesting, it's more the character and his insight on tennis and his growth, for me at least - which is usually the case with sports anime!

You're probably quite right about the marmite status of stuff like Apple Seed.
I'd also have to agree with your friend on the boring part although I personally wouldn't say it was boring. I can see what was interesting enough to appeal to others, so I think it's really dependant on the person - Like most things in life.

Btw, opinionated is good! As long as you're not unreasonable, forcible and narrow with it, then yeah.. No worries!

Interesting discussion on anime is always welcome and there's quite a few regular posters in the anime society who have much more extensive knowledge than me, and have watched a lot more than me so you'll probably find plenty of posters that agree and challenge both you, I and everyone else. :smile:
Original post by Life48
I've actually heard really good things about this, definitely on my list, do you have this top 50 list handy? as if my to watch list wasn't long enoughXD

My top 50 list was the first link in my previous post, but here it is again. It goes without saying that I'd recommend anything on there. :yes:

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/AngryJellyfish/lists/angryjellyfishs-top-50-anime-46365
My top 50 list was the first link in my previous post, but here it is again. It goes without saying that I'd recommend anything on there. :yes:

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/AngryJellyfish/lists/angryjellyfishs-top-50-anime-46365

Posted from TSR Mobile

What anime is your profile pic from? I've always wondered.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What anime is your profile pic from? I've always wondered.

Phi Brain, or one of its sequels. :yes:
Reply 9667
I've randomly decided to place all of the reviews I wrote ages ago onto a Wordpress blog, which you can view here:

https://kouhyou.wordpress.com/

It's unlikely I'll write any more, but it's nice to have them altogether in one place. :smile:

For those unaware, these were written in the Anime Reviews thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=491524

Be assured to have a look as there's many more reviews there written by past and present members. :yes:
Original post by Aiko
I've randomly decided to place all of the reviews I wrote ages ago onto a Wordpress blog, which you can view here:

https://kouhyou.wordpress.com/

Damn, that's a very nice looking site.
Anyone into the summer releases?
Gangsta , Charlotte and Prison School are my favs atm , particularly prison school , tht **** is so funny
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Gangsta , Charlotte and Prison School are my favs atm , particularly prison school , tht **** is so funny

Yeah, I'm watching most of them. :yes: Sequels aside, my favourites are Rokka no Yuusha, Gangsta and Jitsu wa Watashi wa.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Prison School is brilliant, I nearly cried I laughed so hard at the new ep.
Himouto, Junjou Romantica, Gangsta, Akagami no Shirayukihime& Durarara are my favourites. I'm also watching Rokka no Yuusha but I find most of the characters quite annoying, same with the main girl in Aoharu x Kikanjuu. I tried God Eater but I could only make it to ep 2, it was pretty bad imo.
Reply 9672
Original post by xDave-
Damn, that's a very nice looking site.

Thanks, I was going through the free themes available and this one suited what I was trying to go for. :smile:

Yeah, I'm watching most of them. :yes: Sequels aside, my favourites are Rokka no Yuusha, Gangsta and Jitsu wa Watashi wa.

Surprised you're not watching Akagami no Shirayukihime. I'm really enjoying this series and would have expected it to be right up your alley. :yes:
Original post by Aiko
Surprised you're not watching Akagami no Shirayukihime. I'm really enjoying this series and would have expected it to be right up your alley. :yes:

I found the first episode alright, very nice looking, but the characters and setting didn't really win me over. Haven't watched any more, but I'm already following 20 series this season (22 if you include Charlotte and God Eater, which I'm not watching weekly, just when I have spare time). I skipped some of the Summer first episodes entirely, I was so satisfied with my current lineup.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9674
I found the first episode alright, very nice looking, but the characters and setting didn't really win me over. Haven't watched any more, but I'm already following 20 series this season (22 if you include Charlotte and God Eater, which I'm not watching weekly, just when I have spare time). I skipped some of the Summer first episodes entirely, I was so satisfied with my current lineup.

Fair enough. I would encourage you to watch more than the first episode when you have time. It's definitely one of the stronger series this season, in my opinion. :smile:
Original post by naftie
Prison School is brilliant, I nearly cried I laughed so hard at the new ep.
Himouto, Junjou Romantica, Gangsta, Akagami no Shirayukihime& Durarara are my favourites. I'm also watching Rokka no Yuusha but I find most of the characters quite annoying, same with the main girl in Aoharu x Kikanjuu. I tried God Eater but I could only make it to ep 2, it was pretty bad imo.

ikr its hilarious XD
I'm watching 5 this season: Charlotte, Gangsta, God Eater and Rokka no Yuusha, plus Arslan Senki is continuing.

I was really disappointed with Charlotte and Rokka no Yuusha as of episode 4, but they've both come back so strongly that I'm looking forward to each episode a lot. Charlotte did things I never expected or have ever seen in an anime before with episode 7, and Rokka no Yuusha's mystery element is absolutely brilliant.

Gangsta and God Eater are okay. Today's episode of God Eater was quite good, though also confusing if you've forgotten some of what we've been told in previous episodes. I think you should know the following before watching it:

Spoiler

As for Gangsta, the story confuses me a bit but I like the backstory we've been seeing.

Arslan Senki is a fairly good story. The characters are all likeable and it's a good watch overall.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9677
Original post by xDave-
I'm watching 5 this season: Charlotte, Gangsta, God Eater and Rokka no Yuusha, plus Arslan Senki is continuing.

I was really disappointed with Charlotte and Rokka no Yuusha as of episode 4, but they've both come back so strongly that I'm looking forward to each episode a lot. Charlotte did things I never expected or have ever seen in an anime before with episode 7, and Rokka no Yuusha's mystery element is absolutely brilliant.

Gangsta and God Eater are okay. Today's episode of God Eater was quite good, though also confusing if you've forgotten some of what we've been told in previous episodes. I think you should know the following before watching it:

Spoiler

As for Gangsta, the story confuses me a bit but I like the backstory we've been seeing.

Arslan Senki is a fairly good story. The characters are all likeable and it's a good watch overall.

Charlotte and God Eater have upped their game with their latest episodes. I'm just hoping they'll keep up this momentum moving forward.
Watched New One piece ep , Charlotte . Whaiii so much feels omg :frown:(
Anyone watching Ninja Slayer: From Animation atm?

Latest