The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euphrosyne.
What are you applying for? I know someone doing maths at St Hughes Oxford who got Bs at GCSE. Your GCSEs are fine so long as you got A* in relevant subjects and your AS are really good! I'd say go for oxford

I wanted to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge because I'm not 100% sure which science I want to study yet. Physics and Philosophy looks really interesting at Oxford at the moment. I got A* in maths, further maths, chemistry and RS and As in biology and physics

Thanks for the advice, thought Oxford might be the better option too :smile:
Original post by FangirlFreak
First of all, you need a hug :hugs:Stop, breathe. Whatever happens, you'll be okay, I promise.

I'm no expert, but I just wanted to say that there is no point in applying for a course that you are not passionate about. Studying/applying to Oxford is stressful as heck and will only be rewarding if you are truly passionate and push yourself to continue because you love what you do. If you are not anywhere near as passionate for Biology or Psychology as you are for English, don't study it.

I would recommend giving up on applying for Oxford (disheartening as it may seem) to spare yourself the unnecessary heartache and stress. There are plenty of other great institution still open to you which will allow you to study something what you want. Though I only know a bit about the Oxbridge applications process, I think it would be difficult applying for English there now (though not impossible) and too stressful and unnatural to have to tailor yourself to another subject.

Sorry if this advice sounds crappy, I know how much it sucks to feel like you can no longer achieve your dreams, but you can. Life goes on, that C will not define you for the rest of your life. You'll get through this. Speak to teachers and staff on hand at your school for admissions advice (not sure how ignorant/informed your school is about Oxbridge applications) and support to help you decide how best to proceed with the process.

x

Omg aww thank you... I'm passionate and knowledgeable in Psychology and I reckon my work on English throughout all this time wouldn't be wasted cos I've always looked at the idea of subconscious and consciousness, dreams, or fantasy and reality in Literature and have read a lot of fiction and non-fiction on it. Psychology does come natural to me as I've sort of been doing it in a sense.
Also, psychology would just be a stepping stone if this makes sense: I'm aware that a change in degree is possible after you've got into uni and also a change of the place along with it as well. So my trick is to get myself to do Psychology at a uni and then in that first year reapply through UCAS to English at Oxford with my new results I got from the resit next summer, hopefully I'd get an unconditional offer... A gap year is unfortunately not an option cos of private and familial and financial reason so this seems like the only way however crazy it sounds :frown:
Original post by DanCampbell_12
GCSE grades: 6A* 6A and a B in further Maths
AS Levels: 4 As in History, German, English Language and English Lit (87% average)
A-Levels- History A* (97% at A2) English Lit A* (100% at A2) and German A (although I only got 76% at A2) an A* in my EPQCourse: Law
College: No idea
I've already got a firmly accepted offer to Law at Nottingham starting in September, but my head of sixth form and headmaster have recommended that I take a year out and apply to Oxford for 2016 entry. So I'm now in a massive dilemma and have now idea what to do as I'd absolutely love to go to Oxford but it seems risky to discard my offer from Nottingham. Realistically what are the chances of getting in on those grades along with a decent LNAT score (I got 28 last year) and has anyone else here been in a similar sort of position?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3504027&p=58435407
Original post by DanCampbell_12
GCSE grades: 6A* 6A and a B in further Maths
AS Levels: 4 As in History, German, English Language and English Lit (87% average)
A-Levels- History A* (97% at A2) English Lit A* (100% at A2) and German A (although I only got 76% at A2) an A* in my EPQCourse: Law
College: No idea
I've already got a firmly accepted offer to Law at Nottingham starting in September, but my head of sixth form and headmaster have recommended that I take a year out and apply to Oxford for 2016 entry. So I'm now in a massive dilemma and have now idea what to do as I'd absolutely love to go to Oxford but it seems risky to discard my offer from Nottingham. Realistically what are the chances of getting in on those grades along with a decent LNAT score (I got 28 last year) and has anyone else here been in a similar sort of position?

I'm in a similar situation. I actually went to university (Astrophysics at UCL) for a year but left because it just wasn't working out for me - I knew I wasn't reaching my full potential. So in June I applied to do Biology at a bunch of universities that were all pretty good, and because of my grades (A*AA) I immediately received offers from all of them.

But...Oxford. Because I meet the entry requirements I am 'guaranteed' an interview for Biological Sciences. Just like you, I would love to go to Oxford and am absolutely throwing myself into this application. Best case scenario? I get in. Worst case scenario? I end up going to a good university anyway. Either way a year of work (and money!) is never a bad thing.

Basically, I would most certainly reapply with those grades. I wouldn't worry about 'discarding' any offers. If they offered you before they will most certainly offer you again. You are more than capable of getting into Oxford to read law, so why throw that chance away? Even if you don't get in you will be content you gave it a bloody good shot. But I definitely advise pushing yourself to your maximum potential. You worked hard for those grades, might as well get the most you can out of them!
Original post by Ivoryfall
Are you going to let the opinion of one person crush your dreams? Not if you want to do English at Oxford!!

Follow your heart, and don't fret about it. Ultimately, what will be will be, but provided you've done the best you can to improve your chances and you have displayed a clear passion and drive for what you love in your PS, your chances are no worse than anyone else's.

x

Aww thank you I would love to think that my chance is no worse than anyone's. I'm just very unsure about that C in English... my school is used to declaring everything in their reference and if I were to apply for English, they'd have to say sth about my AS grade. I can ask them not to put my C out, but there'd be nothing about English scores to be said then and my reference would be so much less convincing without some solid data...
I'm wondering what Oxford would think of that. T.T
Original post by georgiaf
Aw you poor thing, so disheartening when a teacher doesn't support you! No, it's Cambridge that look at UMS; because AS grades aren't certificated you don't have to declare them, so they only see your predicted grades as far as I'm aware. So if you could convince your teacher that you can retake and get an A, they can predict you the A/A* you were originally aiming for. That said, it might be an idea to take a gap year, then apply with your final grades? Or you could go for other uni's: if you like Oxford's course I'd look at Durham, Exeter, Warwick, UCL etc, they're pretty similar :h:

Lol he does see my ability and potential in English it's just he reckons Oxford won't want to see that C. It's a practice at my school that in their reference they put on data of our results. If I were to apply for English, they'd have to put some solid data to support my aptitude, but I got a C... I can ask them not to mention it but then my reference will be lack of some statistics that can convince Oxford of my ability in English... I wonder how this would turn out. :/
Hi guys,

Wondering on some advice for which medical schools to apply to...
GCSEs: 9 A*s 1A in French and 1A in Add Maths (FSMQ, so top grade).
AS Levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Bio Chem Maths)
EPQ: Ethics in Transplant Surgery
College: lol no idea! XD
Was thinking of Oxford but don't know whether my GCSEs are good enough? Anybody got any advice/alternative suggestions?

Cheers in advance!
RGBlinkFrayXx
Original post by kwanbrain1
I know how you are feeling now. I got AAAC for my AS result, with Biology one UMS off a B. Since I am studying double Maths along with Economics and Biology, I may be considered having achieved AAC. I don't know the chance of being admitted into Oxford PPE, assuming I scored above 70 in the TSA and have a decent performance in the interview together with a strong personal statement.

Oh wow isn't that similar to mine? Mine are AAC too. I think that Biology won't destroy it too much cos you're applying for PPE. In my case, tragically, that C is in English T.T and I'm an English applicant. My fear is that with this C they won't call me for an interview in the first place... :frown:
Original post by BritishBean
I'm in a similar situation. I actually went to university (Astrophysics at UCL) for a year but left because it just wasn't working out for me - I knew I wasn't reaching my full potential. So in June I applied to do Biology at a bunch of universities that were all pretty good, and because of my grades (A*AA) I immediately received offers from all of them.

But...Oxford. Because I meet the entry requirements I am 'guaranteed' an interview for Biological Sciences. Just like you, I would love to go to Oxford and am absolutely throwing myself into this application. Best case scenario? I get in. Worst case scenario? I end up going to a good university anyway. Either way a year of work (and money!) is never a bad thing.

Basically, I would most certainly reapply with those grades. I wouldn't worry about 'discarding' any offers. If they offered you before they will most certainly offer you again. You are more than capable of getting into Oxford to read law, so why throw that chance away? Even if you don't get in you will be content you gave it a bloody good shot. But I definitely advise pushing yourself to your maximum potential. You worked hard for those grades, might as well get the most you can out of them!

Cheers for the response, its nice to get an opinion from someone in a similar situation. I think you made some great points and I feel as if I would always regret not at least trying to get in. Good look with your application to Oxford aswell mate!
Original post by BritishBean

Hello! May I ask if it's true that you can apply to another uni after you've tried your original one but only for a different degree and not a same one that you're doing? So for instance, if I did English at Bristol then I'd like to apply for English at Oxford, is this not allowed? But if I did Psychology at Bristol then apply for English at Oxford and this is allowed?
Original post by HelenTimebaker
Hi everyone,
if someone could help me here please it would be great :smile:
I want to apply to Medicine and my GCSE grades were all A*. I got all As for my AS subjects, however, my A in Chemistry is a very low A and is there a point for me trying to apply to Oxford?
Thanks a lot!

Yes, absolutely! Oxford don't ask to see UMS (Cambridge do), so if you think you'll be able to perform well in the BMAT you'll have a competitive application/
GCSE's: 11A 1A* (Terrible)
AS Levels:
Maths: A (94% UMS Average)
Further Maths: A (87% UMS average)
Chemistry: A (81% UMS Average)
Physics: A (92% UMS Average)
Finance: A
Next year I'm doing: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and an EPQ (maths related)
What chances do you think I have for applying for Mathematics, with a score of around 70 in the MAT? I'm worried as my UMS averages are not as high as I hoped for, especially in Further Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, so AS results came out and they were way below expectations. So I sent an email to the university asking if they accepted resits as long as my A levels are completed within 2 years and I mentioned that I want to apply to medicine as an international student.
They said yes.
However they also said that my chances are lower as a candidate. I wanted to ask, has anyone here done any resits and managed to successfully go on to secure a place, or do you know anyone who has? Would really appreciate some help.
Thanks!
Original post by antisansculotte
Hi! Looking to apply for History, potentially at Brasenose, but I need to visit Oxford.

My GCSE results aren't stellar - 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C. My AS results are 5 A's in English Lit, History, French, RE and Philosophy.

Most likely will be taking History, French and English OR Philosophy next year.

Do I stand a realistic chance?

Congratulations on your AS result.

If you can come to the Open Day on Friday 18th September we will have some current History students available to show you round and there will also be admissions staff/Tutors on hand to answer questions.

The selectors will look at the HAT test result, your GCSEs, and relevant information in the rest of your UCAS application (including contextual information putting your GCSE results in context) when deciding if they can invite a candidate for interview.

For guidance here are the grade profiles of last year's interviewees:

10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1B 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-3A-2C 1A-4B-3C-1E 3A*-8A 4A*-3A-2B-1D 4A*-5A-1B 4A*-6A-2B 5A*-3A-1B 5A*-4A 5A*-4A-2B 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-2A-3B 6A*-3A 6A*-3A-2B 6A*-4A 6A*-5A-1D 6A*-6A 6A*-7A 7A*-2A-1C 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 7A*-5A 8A* 8A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-3A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Congratulations on your AS result.

If you can come to the Open Day on Friday 18th September we will have some current History students available to show you round and there will also be admissions staff/Tutors on hand to answer questions.

The selectors will look at the HAT test result, your GCSEs, and relevant information in the rest of your UCAS application (including contextual information putting your GCSE results in context) when deciding if they can invite a candidate for interview.

For guidance here are the grade profiles of last year's interviewees:

10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1B 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-3A-2C 1A-4B-3C-1E 3A*-8A 4A*-3A-2B-1D 4A*-5A-1B 4A*-6A-2B 5A*-3A-1B 5A*-4A 5A*-4A-2B 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-2A-3B 6A*-3A 6A*-3A-2B 6A*-4A 6A*-5A-1D 6A*-6A 6A*-7A 7A*-2A-1C 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 7A*-5A 8A* 8A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-3A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A

Are you at any added benefit were you to take more AS levels or more A levels? Say, for example, would 5A's at AS level put you in a better position than having the standard 4A's? Or would 5A's 1 B look better or worse than 5A's?
Original post by BJack
You can do law with almost any set of A levels, including all science subjects. Having some evidence that you can write is helpful, though, and I'd imagine that French provides that.

I'm also doing an EPQ so hopefully that will help!
Original post by Eux
Are you at any added benefit were you to take more AS levels or more A levels? Say, for example, would 5A's at AS level put you in a better position than having the standard 4A's? Or would 5A's 1 B look better or worse than 5A's?

No (short answer). There's quite an extensive discussion on AS results on TSR if you look.
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Hey guys, so AS results came out and they were way below expectations. So I sent an email to the university asking if they accepted resits as long as my A levels are completed within 2 years and I mentioned that I want to apply to medicine as an international student.
They said yes.
However they also said that my chances are lower as a candidate. I wanted to ask, has anyone here done any resits and managed to successfully go on to secure a place, or do you know anyone who has? Would really appreciate some help.
Thanks!

If you are an all-the-way international student (ie, not EU) your chances of getting in to medicine at Oxford are vanishingly small in the first place. Seriously: last year 5 international students got places. If you are being told that a re-sit lowers your chances further, I would not get my hopes up.
Original post by DCDude
If you are an all-the-way international student (ie, not EU) your chances of getting in to medicine at Oxford are vanishingly small in the first place. Seriously: last year 5 international students got places. If you are being told that a re-sit lowers your chances further, I would not get my hopes up.

Wow, 5?! I had no idea, they always said they had a maximum of 10 or 12 so I always assumed that that was the number that got admitted, but thank you anyway:smile:
Original post by RGBlinkFrayXx
Hi guys,

Wondering on some advice for which medical schools to apply to...
GCSEs: 9 A*s 1A in French and 1A in Add Maths (FSMQ, so top grade).
AS Levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Bio Chem Maths)
EPQ: Ethics in Transplant Surgery
College: lol no idea! XD
Was thinking of Oxford but don't know whether my GCSEs are good enough? Anybody got any advice/alternative suggestions?

Cheers in advance!
RGBlinkFrayXx

I think perhaps your GCSE's are slightly below the average, but there will undoubtedly be many people below you in terms of GCSE. The ox website says that 10a* is the average. I am too applying to read medicine. Its definitely worth you applying to oxford, think about imperial UCL, queen Mary and kings too.

Latest

Trending

Trending