The Student Room Group

Women have it pretty tough...

I was watching this famous cricketer talk about his retirement and the reasons behind that.

He mentioned 'i want to spend more time with my beautiful wife'. And this is a common phrase. All throughout the interview he never said 'wife' alone - always 'beautiful wife'. And he is a decent and well-meaning person.

And I realised that society basically judges the vast majority of women on their looks and just their looks. No body cares about their intelligence or their hard work. Its all about face, boobs, bum / ratings out of 10 etc.

Given that this is the expectation, it must be so difficult for them to focus on anything else.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Looks mater about 30% the other 70% is personality imo
Original post by Awesome Genius
I was watching this famous cricketer talk about his retirement and the reasons behind that.

He mentioned 'i want to spend more time with my beautiful wife'. And this is a common phrase.

And I realised that society basically judges the vast majority of women on their looks and just their looks. No body cares about their intelligence or their hard work. Its all about face, boobs, bum / ratings out of 10 etc.

Given that this is the expectation, it must be so difficult for them to focus on anything else.

It's ridiculously easy. All a girl need to do to have a good body is to eat less, while a guy has to eat right and exercise right. Bleach your hair, slap on some makeup and have a few cosmetic surgeries and bob's your uncle. All the #selfies you can shake a tits on a stick at.
Original post by thisistheend
All the #selfies you can shake a tits on a stick at.

Reply 4
It's ridiculously easy. All a girl need to do to have a good body is to eat less, while a guy has to eat right and exercise right. Bleach your hair, slap on some makeup and have a few cosmetic surgeries and bob's your uncle. All the #selfies you can shake a tits on a stick at.

Ah.. I believe this lovely piece of every day sexism really validates your argument OP.

lol thats not the point

Imagine if all you were ever judged on was how good-looking you were. Like nothing else mattered.
Ask a girl whether they'd rather be called beautiful or caring, then you'll realise why the cricketer and many others use them words.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Ask a girl whether they'd rather be called beautiful or caring, then you'll realise why the cricketer and many others use them words.

Many women are vain because beauty is more appreciated by society.

And to be honest, I don't agree with this - from my own experience.

I think its easier for guys to be good-looking. All that a guy has to be is muscular and stay fit.

For girls, I think their features are extremely important. You can paint yourself orange with as much make-up as you want but she'll never be 'pretty'.
Reply 9
lol thats not the point

Imagine if all you were ever judged on was how good-looking you were. Like nothing else mattered.

There's an alternative option to looking good: having a lovely snatch.
lol cricket
Beautiful doesnt always refer to outward appearance

If i was married to a woman who was average, i would still call her beautiful cos she's my wife and i would love her with all my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frank davidson

If i was married to a woman who was average, i would still call her beautiful cos she's my wife and i would love her with all my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you call her 'beautiful' though?

Why not, my 'hard-working' wife, my 'intelligent' wife, my 'fantastic' wife
I think you may be misinterpreting or over-thinking the word "beautiful" to describe a person - its common to describe someone as 'beautiful' for their qualities. A woman can look stunning but have a heart of stone - therefore, you wouldn't really want to marry her and call her beautiful. I think for a guy to say his wife is beautiful describes her as an overal person, not just her looks.
We can come to whole conclusions about ingrained sexism in society based on a cricketer's choice of adjective?

You sound like my GCSE English teacher...
Original post by frank davidson

Posted from TSR Mobile

beautiful ALWAYS refer to outward appearance.

the only difference between you and me is that you would marry someone who looked average. I would rather not marry at all. presumably you would marry someone you're actually attracted to, but I can't speak for you.
Original post by superduper9
I think you may be misinterpreting or over-thinking the word "beautiful" to describe a person - its common to describe someone as 'beautiful' for their qualities. A woman can look stunning but have a heart of stone - therefore, you wouldn't really want to marry her and call her beautiful. I think for a guy to say his wife is beautiful describes her as an overal person, not just her looks.

Hmm well as I said above, no one says 'beautiful' husband.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
We can come to whole conclusions about ingrained sexism in society based on a cricketer's choice of adjective?

You sound like my GCSE English teacher...

Nah its not sexism in a malicious or intentional way.

Its an observation that society priorities looks as the single most important feature in a woman by a long way.
Nah its not sexism in a malicious or intentional way.

Its an observation that society priorities looks as the single most important feature in a woman by a long way.

My comparison still stands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is beautiful, there needs to be more guys like you.

Quick Reply

Latest