The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering with a BTEC extended level 3?

Was just wondering, what Universities accept the offer of a BTEC level 3 extended diploma for level 3 and if anybody knows a few with the requirements, I will be studying Mechanical Engineering. I know some uni's require AS level Maths but im just interested with the ones without please

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump, need some help here as its my future at stake
You'd be much better off studying A-levels. At Nottingham, I haven't met a single engineering student who's done BTECs.
Reply 3
When do i go about doing A-Levels and what to study? i'm really kind of new to this whole thing and i still need to do my college 3 years first.

Studying what for a levels exactly, Maths or what? XD and when?
Reply 4
Original post by samuel303
When do i go about doing A-Levels and what to study? i'm really kind of new to this whole thing and i still need to do my college 3 years first.

Studying what for a levels exactly, Maths or what? XD and when?

Are you a mature student? In the UK?

Your local college should be able to help you with A-levels. For Engineering Maths and Physics are important.

What are you studying for 3 years now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
sadfully my local college don't do A-levels (ridiculous)

The 3 years in college ould be my BTECS in engineering.

Trying to get into the college by my girlfriends which do both, but id need a job and to move to hers to do them, also being i only have till september to sort it all out
Reply 6
sadfully my local college don't do A-levels (ridiculous)

The 3 years in college ould be my BTECS in engineering.

Trying to get into the college by my girlfriends which do both, but id need a job and to move to hers to do them, also being i only have till september to sort it all out

Whatuni lets you search degree courses by the qualifications you expect to get.

So let's assume you stay with the BTRC and no A-levels

E.G. Mech Eng with MMM at BTEC.
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/mechanical-engineering-degree-courses-united-kingdom/0/m/united+kingdom/united+kingdom/25/0/a1/xh./r/0/1/0/uc/btec/0d*-0d-3m-0p/page.html

You can change the filters to match your requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ah that is one neat tool, i didnt know that, so i wont have too much trouble going into uni without a levels? was keen to go to BCU (birmingham city)
Reply 8
Ah that is one neat tool, i didnt know that, so i wont have too much trouble going into uni without a levels? was keen to go to BCU (birmingham city)

Indeed. But always check the uni websites just to be sure. In case the whatuni info is out of date...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Was just wondering, what Universities accept the offer of a BTEC level 3 extended diploma for level 3 and if anybody knows a few with the requirements, I will be studying Mechanical Engineering. I know some uni's require AS level Maths but im just interested with the ones without please

Thank you

This is on of my previous posts to someone who wanted to do Aerospace Eng, but Mechanical is usually in the same dept. and will have the same entry requirements in most cases, i would highly suggest looking at UCL, they require D*D*D* and no A level in Maths

The best universities that accept with no A level in Maths include:

Liverpool (D*DD) - ranked 15th for Aeronautical Engineering 2016

Southampton (D*DD) - ranked 5th for Aeronautical Engineering 2016

UCL (D*D*D*) - Only offer Mechanical Engineering but it should be similar content to Aerospace,

Nottingham (DDD) - ranked 8th for Aeronautical Engineering 2016

Brunel (D*D*D) - ranked 20th for Aeronautical Engineering 2016

Swansea (D*D*D - D*DD) - ranked 12th for Aeronautical Engineering 2016

UWE Bristol (DDM) - ranked 21st for Aeronautical Engineering 2016
D*DD overall and distinctions in Analytical Methods and Further Analytical Methods

What does this mean? (analytical methods and further analytical methods)
Original post by kelvin_pangg
D*DD overall and distinctions in Analytical Methods and Further Analytical Methods

What does this mean? (analytical methods and further analytical methods)

It means that you need distinctions in the AnalyticalMethods and Further Analytical Methods units + D*DD overall in BTEC Engineering.
Original post by IamLiquid
It means that you need distinctions in the AnalyticalMethods and Further Analytical Methods units + D*DD overall in BTEC Engineering.

And these units are in the BTEC mechanical engineering course? Or is it something outside that you gotta do???
Reply 13
I'm not sure about the analytical methods but speaking from experience you normally have to achieve distinctions in the maths units so that's maths for technicians and further mathematics. For entry to uni your looking from anything from a DMM to a D*D*D but you must have GCSE maths and English at c grade or higher
Oh and BTW you don't need a levels to study engineering the extended diploma will go over all the stuff that is necessary for your uni course and may even cover things that the a levels don't depending on the units that you are taught
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sionna
I'm not sure about the analytical methods but speaking from experience you normally have to achieve distinctions in the maths units so that's maths for technicians and further mathematics. For entry to uni your looking from anything from a DMM to a D*D*D but you must have GCSE maths and English at c grade or higher
Oh and BTW you don't need a levels to study engineering the extended diploma will go over all the stuff that is necessary for your uni course and may even cover things that the a levels don't depending on the units that you are taught
Posted from TSR Mobile

So once I complete the diploma, I won't need anything else to go apply to uni for a specific course. Like I don't need A-levels or anything.
Reply 15
No you shouldn't it only oxford, Cambridge and imperial and maybe one or two more, you will find plenty of universities that will accept you without a levels. I achieved a d*d*d and received offers from all my choices which included Liverpool, Manchester, Staffordshire, derby and sheffield. I didn't need to attend any interviews or tests like other people have. I think because engineering is quite vocational it is becoming much more accepted to have a btec
Original post by sionna
No you shouldn't it only oxford, Cambridge and imperial and maybe one or two more, you will find plenty of universities that will accept you without a levels. I achieved a d*d*d and received offers from all my choices which included Liverpool, Manchester, Staffordshire, derby and sheffield. I didn't need to attend any interviews or tests like other people have. I think because engineering is quite vocational it is becoming much more accepted to have a btec

Thank you so much for your help, I still have a few more questions. So once I complete my btec mechanical engineering diploma, what choices in terms of courses can I choose from. I have a feeling it will only be mechanical engineering and its branches. But is it possible to go to civil engineering? etc...
Reply 17
The only branch of engineering that you may have an issue with would be electronics but all other branches should be acceptable. Some universities may accept you for electrical engineering as they only ask for a btec in a relevant discipline which mechanical engineering is relevant especially if you do some electrical units. I did in total 3 electrical units out of 18 which included electrical and electronic principles, further electrical principles and electrical installation which meant that those courses were accessible for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sionna
The only branch of engineering that you may have an issue with would be electronics but all other branches should be acceptable. Some universities may accept you for electrical engineering as they only ask for a btec in a relevant discipline which mechanical engineering is relevant especially if you do some electrical units. I did in total 3 electrical units out of 18 which included electrical and electronic principles, further electrical principles and electrical installation which meant that those courses were accessible for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

So im looking at a few civil engineering courses at southampton university, that will be fine aslong as I get an overall of D* D D in my BTEC.
This is my problem too, they all require A Level maths. :frown: I was going to study, BTEC L3 Engineering, I think I should channge my future completely.

Quick Reply

Latest