The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Zoology 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TashJacobs
I just got my conditional offer a week ago,
I still can't decide between zoology at sussex or veterinary nursing at RVC. Sussex/Brighton looks amazing and the course looks great, but I'm a little worried about post-graduate employability because i'm pretty much guarenteed a job with the vet nursing degree! Anyone else thinking about potential careers? Also, what was the exact offer you received??

Hey Tash, congrats on the offer!

Wow studying at RVC does sound exciting too, I can definitely see why you're torn. I'm the worst at making decisions so I would be a fool to try to help you decide as such, but all I will say is that from my experience whilst it is incredibly hard to find many jobs (particularly the job you will want and with the way of the job market and after-effects of the recession), it can be surprisingly easy (unfortunately with good reason) to get certain jobs such as in the hotel industry or bar work if you should ever become desperate at any point in life after study. Whilst they can be hard work, they're almost always available if you need something rather than nothing just to keep your head above water until you find a better opportunity.

Unemployment sounds like a big, scary, unbearable thing but I think it's surprisingly common and whilst it is scary and stressful there will always be an eventual end to it at some point. There is also help from the government because they want us to get a job too.

So I would suggest to go with your heart rather than your head...although money is important, I think it's more important to focus on happiness. I know of too many people employed in jobs which they absolutely hate and find stressful in many ways but feel tied to because of the money.

I felt a bit more reassured today to be told that the degree in Zoology also gives a broad range of career options - I suppose as almost any degree would. I'm unsure exactly what career I want in all honesty, but I enjoy the study of animals and especially the opportunities to work with them so I guess I'm going for this degree because I think I will enjoy it.

I already tried taking two years out to see if I could pull my head together, but these two years only served to show me how important getting any degree is really. I think it gives a great advantage, especially abroad. Due to taking these two years out, I received an unconditional offer as I finished college back then so I'm thankful to the uni for that. I agree that the surroundings of this particular uni really are beautiful; even in crappy weather!
But what really attracted me was that besides certain optional modules, there's an option to take electives which are unrelated to our Zoology course. The Chinese and Japanese language options really excited me, but it's just a shame that there isn't Korean also! Other electives I can recall were Psychology and International Business/Business Studies.
I think this is a very smart idea because gaining experience in these unrelated subjects are definitely reassuring for people like me who aren't sure exactly which career they expect to aim for once they finish their degree, and the best part is that you can choose the ones that interest you!

In conclusion, all I can suggest is that whilst it is of importance to consider how taking a certain degree will benefit or affect your future and stability, it's also very important to listen to your heart and consider what truly feels right to you. I made a mistake because I didn't listen to my heart and I wouldn't want this for anyone. If you honestly don't know (don't worry, I didn't either at first), I would suggest indulging yourself further in information relating to the RVC and Sussex Uni. Find more reasons that will make you think "yes" or no". Evaluate and compare until you feel drawn one way more-so than the other.

Sorry for such a long post! Hope it's helpful in some way, and good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by shadowshy
Hey Tash, congrats on the offer!

Wow studying at RVC does sound exciting too, I can definitely see why you're torn. I'm the worst at making decisions so I would be a fool to try to help you decide as such, but all I will say is that from my experience whilst it is incredibly hard to find many jobs (particularly the job you will want and with the way of the job market and after-effects of the recession), it can be surprisingly easy (unfortunately with good reason) to get certain jobs such as in the hotel industry or bar work if you should ever become desperate at any point in life after study. Whilst they can be hard work, they're almost always available if you need something rather than nothing just to keep your head above water until you find a better opportunity.

Unemployment sounds like a big, scary, unbearable thing but I think it's surprisingly common and whilst it is scary and stressful there will always be an eventual end to it at some point. There is also help from the government because they want us to get a job too.

So I would suggest to go with your heart rather than your head...although money is important, I think it's more important to focus on happiness. I know of too many people employed in jobs which they absolutely hate and find stressful in many ways but feel tied to because of the money.

I felt a bit more reassured today to be told that the degree in Zoology also gives a broad range of career options - I suppose as almost any degree would. I'm unsure exactly what career I want in all honesty, but I enjoy the study of animals and especially the opportunities to work with them so I guess I'm going for this degree because I think I will enjoy it.

I already tried taking two years out to see if I could pull my head together, but these two years only served to show me how important getting any degree is really. I think it gives a great advantage, especially abroad. Due to taking these two years out, I received an unconditional offer as I finished college back then so I'm thankful to the uni for that. I agree that the surroundings of this particular uni really are beautiful; even in crappy weather!
But what really attracted me was that besides certain optional modules, there's an option to take electives which are unrelated to our Zoology course. The Chinese and Japanese language options really excited me, but it's just a shame that there isn't Korean also! Other electives I can recall were Psychology and International Business/Business Studies.
I think this is a very smart idea because gaining experience in these unrelated subjects are definitely reassuring for people like me who aren't sure exactly which career they expect to aim for once they finish their degree, and the best part is that you can choose the ones that interest you!

In conclusion, all I can suggest is that whilst it is of importance to consider how taking a certain degree will benefit or affect your future and stability, it's also very important to listen to your heart and consider what truly feels right to you. I made a mistake because I didn't listen to my heart and I wouldn't want this for anyone. If you honestly don't know (don't worry, I didn't either at first), I would suggest indulging yourself further in information relating to the RVC and Sussex Uni. Find more reasons that will make you think "yes" or no". Evaluate and compare until you feel drawn one way more-so than the other.

Sorry for such a long post! Hope it's helpful in some way, and good luck!

Thank you! I've decided to firm sussex as I just can't turn down such a good opportunity, hopefully see you in september! :redface:
I shall see you all! Im starting sussex in sept doing zoology!!! :smile:
Reply 23
Hi everyone!! have any of you heard from the housing office yet?
Reply 24
I got into sussex!!! Anyone else?? :smile: :smile:
Original post by emmabea
I got into sussex!!! Anyone else?? :smile: :smile:

I got in too!! See you in September!
Reply 26
Original post by emmalawrenson
I got in too!! See you in September!

Woo! Look forward to it :smile:
I'm in!
Reply 28
Original post by ellie_jacks
I'm in!

!!! Well done :smile:
Reply 29
Would it be good if I made a zoology group on facebook? :biggrin:
Original post by emmabea
Would it be good if I made a zoology group on facebook? :biggrin:

Yes great idea! If you link it to me here i'll join it and I'll put the link on the freshers page! :smile:
Reply 31
Yes great idea! If you link it to me here i'll join it and I'll put the link on the freshers page! :smile:

For me to set it up I need to add someone first, whats your name on fb? Just emma lawrenson?
Yes and my profile picture is a close up picture of me and 2 other girls at our leavers dinner, i'm brunette in the middle and wearing red lipstick and a white dress with pink and red flowers on the front!
I hope thats detailed enough :wink:
Original post by emmabea
For me to set it up I need to add someone first, whats your name on fb? Just emma lawrenson?
Reply 33
Yes and my profile picture is a close up picture of me and 2 other girls at our leavers dinner, i'm brunette in the middle and wearing red lipstick and a white dress with pink and red flowers on the front!
I hope thats detailed enough :wink:

I found you! :smile: I just sent you a request, I'm emma Goodyear
Reply 34
Okay, here's the link to the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618265575128717/
:smile: :smile:
I'm so jealous of you all! Didn't complete science A Levels a few years ago so doing the foundation in biosciences before zoology at Sussex. 💖

Quick Reply

Latest