The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when the funding is going to be announced for 2016/2017? I thought it was supposed to come out like last month... Especially now for 1st time undergraduates they have more loan and no grant. Does anyone think we may get more loan as well seeing as though it's taking them so long to release the funding information ahah
Original post by renren95
Does anyone know when the funding is going to be announced for 2016/2017? I thought it was supposed to come out like last month... Especially now for 1st time undergraduates they have more loan and no grant.

No idea. I'd be optimistic that there will be no changes to 2016 if not already announced, but obviously that's not set in stone.

Does anyone think we may get more loan as well seeing as though it's taking them so long to release the funding information ahah

No chance!
Reply 1382
I was just wondering what people thought about applying to the 5 year course rather than GEM. I know its more expensive, but is it easier for graduates to get in? or harder? Its a serious option for me, especially as I feel like I'm not the brightest spark, I worry I might struggle with the condensed fast paced GEM course.
Hi all,

Just wanted to give you all some info in case you were unaware. I just took my UKCAT and despite doing loads of revision (Kaplan course, UKCAT mocks, Medify, 6 books!) I didn't do as well as I had hoped :frown: BUT I did some reading and the universities (KCL, WW, NCL) say that the will take the scored from the APPLICANT POOL not everyone who took the test. So, for example if people scored really highly and they were A level students who have just done exams and might be a bit fresher than people who have been out of education, their scores won't count towards what we are based on as they are applying to the undergrad courses. Same thing if everyone on here who got 600,650 etc applied for GEM, the average would be lower for us this year. So, I am still going to apply even though I didn't get what I want, because it seems many people applying for GEM didn't do as well as they had expected, so maybe the scores will be a little lower this year. I hope this gives some of you some hope - plus, whats the harm in applying anyway, better than not applying right?
Original post by Amywool
Hi all,

Just wanted to give you all some info in case you were unaware. I just took my UKCAT and despite doing loads of revision (Kaplan course, UKCAT mocks, Medify, 6 books!) I didn't do as well as I had hoped :frown: BUT I did some reading and the universities (KCL, WW, NCL) say that the will take the scored from the APPLICANT POOL not everyone who took the test. So, for example if people scored really highly and they were A level students who have just done exams and might be a bit fresher than people who have been out of education, their scores won't count towards what we are based on as they are applying to the undergrad courses. Same thing if everyone on here who got 600,650 etc applied for GEM, the average would be lower for us this year. So, I am still going to apply even though I didn't get what I want, because it seems many people applying for GEM didn't do as well as they had expected, so maybe the scores will be a little lower this year. I hope this gives some of you some hope - plus, whats the harm in applying anyway, better than not applying right?

There's definitely no harm in applying! The UKCAT is important but it's not everything. For instance Bristol don't use any admission tests, just look at your other stats and apply to places that favour your strengths. :smile:
Original post by Amywool
Hi all,

I think this is what I'm going to do :smile: I scored 697.5 and most people seem to be saying you meet 750+ but I may as well go through the application, even if it's more of a learning process than anything else. I think I'll only put UKCAT applications in for Warwick and Southampton though my score is probably poor for both of these! Do you mind me asking what score you got?
Original post by kj0511
I was just wondering what people thought about applying to the 5 year course rather than GEM. I know its more expensive, but is it easier for graduates to get in? or harder? Its a serious option for me, especially as I feel like I'm not the brightest spark, I worry I might struggle with the condensed fast paced GEM course.

If finances aren't an issue for you, I'd go for it. There are lots more places on 5 year courses, I think some places have a quota for the number of grads they'll take, and that you might still have to fulfil the A-Level requirements for some, but it'd be worth contacting individual schools you're interested in.
Original post by Amywool
Hi all,

I thought that all unis only looked at their application pool? Why would they be interested in the ukcat of every person who took it? Could you explain a little better what you mean?

Also, would you mind saying what you got? I know Warwick cut off last year was 700 so if you got 690s you're not far off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1388
Finally got my foot in the door and got offered a NA job 👏 just waiting for the recruitment clearances now, and occ health might be a problem but I'm praying not!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
Finally got my foot in the door and got offered a NA job 👏 just waiting for the recruitment clearances now, and occ health might be a problem but I'm praying not!

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats
Original post by MelissaW_x
I think this is what I'm going to do :smile: I scored 697.5 and most people seem to be saying you meet 750+ but I may as well go through the application, even if it's more of a learning process than anything else. I think I'll only put UKCAT applications in for Warwick and Southampton though my score is probably poor for both of these! Do you mind me asking what score you got?

I got 680 average: 620, 740, 710, 650. I also know 2 other graduate entry applicants who scored 660 and 665. Everyone seems to have done worse than they expected this year :/
Original post by HCAssistant93
I thought that all unis only looked at their application pool? Why would they be interested in the ukcat of every person who took it? Could you explain a little better what you mean?

Also, would you mind saying what you got? I know Warwick cut off last year was 700 so if you got 690s you're not far off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So maybe this was me being a bit dumb but I was under the impression that some unis took the percentiles of al test takers scores to find a cut off point which reflected high scorers and then they used this for the GEM. when really they do this just for the applicants. So I was fretting because I knew I wouldn't get as good as someone just out of school. Maybe people already knew this I don't know - probably me just being stupid!
I got 680: 620, 740, 710, 650 and I know 2 other gem applicants who got 660 and 665
Reply 1392
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one. Out of interest did the medicine applicant thing come up?
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! May I ask what does NA stand for? :/
I told my parents I'm considering GEM,the responses were interesting.*Brace yourselves*

"Why on earth would you do that"
"you didn't do well in your alevels and you think you can handle a course that asks for As and A*s"
"Why would you waste time" "Graduate ,go get a job & work like everybody else"
"You can't keep on chasing shadows,you will fail and then drop out"
"You're not clever enough for medicine" "medicine is not easy,I know a few people who have dropped out (mum works at a clinic & dad at a hospital)"
"Doctors don't earn as much as you think.You should see Junior doctors they're being used & not getting paid enough.The job is too stressful.They don't get paid enough"
"In your 30s you will only be on 30grand.Nothing fancy.You will be stuck there until you're in your 40s"
"Prospects are not good in the NHS ,I know a doctor who has left to go to Saudi Arabia because there are no consultant jobs here"

Guys I could go on forever.
What stuns me is my mum wanted to be a doctor herself but couldn't afford further education.

I'm still baffled.This is what happens when your parents are chasing money.
The reason why I want to pursue gem is because I love the hospital environment & caring for people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! What sort of questions did they ask you at interview?
Reply 1396
Original post by Ebuwa
congrats

Thank you very much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps a poll can be embedded to reflect the UKCAT score for those intending to apply for 2016 GEM rather than the mega thread that bands both?
Original post by NellyMelly
I told my parents I'm considering GEM,the responses were interesting.*Brace yourselves*

"Why on earth would you do that"
"you didn't do well in your alevels and you think you can handle a course that asks for As and A*s"
"Why would you waste time" "Graduate ,go get a job & work like everybody else"
"You can't keep on chasing shadows,you will fail and then drop out"
"You're not clever enough for medicine" "medicine is not easy,I know a few people who have dropped out (mum works at a clinic & dad at a hospital)"
"Doctors don't earn as much as you think.You should see Junior doctors they're being used & not getting paid enough.The job is too stressful.They don't get paid enough"
"In your 30s you will only be on 30grand.Nothing fancy.You will be stuck there until you're in your 40s"
"Prospects are not good in the NHS ,I know a doctor who has left to go to Saudi Arabia because there are no consultant jobs here"

Guys I could go on forever.
What stuns me is my mum wanted to be a doctor herself but couldn't afford further education.

I'm still baffled.This is what happens when your parents are chasing money.
The reason why I want to pursue gem is because I love the hospital environment & caring for people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so sad! You'd think the first people to support you are your family members but I guess that's not always the case. Don't be disheartened! Do what's best for you and what you believe would make you happy in the long run! Then one day when you look back you won't have any regrets!

I think the great thing about GEM is that it doesn't matter what you got for your A-levels or GCSE is your degree that matters! So work hard on that!

Good luck to you! :smile:
Reply 1399
Original post by Zorg
Nice one. Out of interest did the medicine applicant thing come up?

Thanks!
Kind of! They asked if I was getting experience to go into clinical psych as my degree is in psychology and this is on an acute psychiatric ward. I obviously said no and they asked what my plans for the future are, to which I replied that I have done a lot of experience in various departments in the NHS (shadowing) and know that I want to work for the NHS but I'm not sure what I want to do yet but my degree has interested me in a clinical role in psych (I worked as a carer so I said more clinical etc). My degree had about 4 lectures on clinical psych so everything I know isn't from my degree but they don't know that haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending