The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi Noye

Our accommodation team have confirmed that univesity-owned city accommodation is currently full so you would be allocated a place in nominated accommodation. The nominated accommodation is very near our university-owned apartments so you will be living in an area where there is a good community of students. It's also very near the Diamond Building where you'll be studying :smile:

You'll also be able to join Residence Life, which is our programme of events and activities for students living in university-owned and nominated accommodation. You can find out more about this here: http://www.browzer.co.uk/shef/

We've also set up Facebook groups so that students who get a room in university-owned or nominated accommodation can meet their flat mates before they come to Sheffield. When you know which room you've been allocated you can find the right Facebook group here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social

I hope that helps. We're really pleased you're coming to Sheffield and look forward to seeing you in September.

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer

Hi
Thank you very much for confirming. The location certainly looks convenient and I'm really glad there'll be halls nearby :smile:
Excited for September!
Thanks again, Noye
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by The University of Sheffield
In case anyone else has questions about accommodation, there is a Facebook group which has been set up to help people find that information. The URL is https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniversityofSheffieldaccommodation/

If you want to find who will be in your accommodation block, you should visit http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social to find out. Rooms will start to be allocated late on Friday afternoon.

All the best,
Kyle

Hi,
My friends have got there accommodation but I haven't got mine yet.

I submitted my application before the deadlines ect, made it my firm choice, was covered under the original guaranty.

Do you think this is because I was given a course change?
Will my application be put to the back of the pile with the clearing/late aplication candidates?

Thanks for the advance!

EDIT: if I am at the back it isn't a problem! I just wanted to know where I stand because I an a little anxious/nervous/excited
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 242
Hi,
Why are you not allowed to to use battery operated fairy lights in university accommodation?
I got sheffield as my insurance place, but the only accommodation left in endcliffe, which is where i really wanted to be for the social aspect, is catered shared bathroom, which is the complete opposite to what i wanted (ensuite self catered) as i enjoy cooking, no set meal times, and the privacy of an ensuite. the photos of the catered rooms also look a lot less modern and not as nice.
does anyone have any experience of catered at sheffield and is it worth selecting this option just to be in endcliffe despite it not being what i initially had in mind? and is there a chance that i could still get self catered if people drop out in the first few weeks or if i phone them up expressing my concerns??
sorry for so many questions
how do I find out if/how much loan/grant I will receive? Do they advise me or my parents? Also how do I organise what bank account the loan goes into?
Thanks
Is anyone commuting to uni of sheffied or know of anygroups on Facebook of commuters? I would appreciate it so much if anyone could let me know please xx
Original post by RoryKejz
how do I find out if/how much loan/grant I will receive? Do they advise me or my parents? Also how do I organise what bank account the loan goes into?
Thanks

You should receive a breakdown of the student finance you will receive, once you have completed your application for student finance and it has been approved. I you have not already applied for student finance, I would recommend doing it now, as there can sometimes be a wait for it to be approved, close to the beginning of the academic year.
Original post by sheffunistudent
You should receive a breakdown of the student finance you will receive, once you have completed your application for student finance and it has been approved. I you have not already applied for student finance, I would recommend doing it now, as there can sometimes be a wait for it to be approved, close to the beginning of the academic year.

I applied for student finance before May 31St, but in June I changed my course which meant I had to change my application for Student Finance, and it states this could take 6 weeks to be updated and in effect- will this be an issue?
Also I haven't received any information (or I may have but I cant find the email) about how much loan/grant I will receive, therefore my parents and I are still undecided as to what bank account the loan/grant goes into (do we get a choice (ie it goes into mine or my parents bank account) or is it simply 'I'm the student so it goes into my bank account'?)
Thanks
My accommodation offer states Endcliffe Avenue but I can't find any info on the residence, eg. no facebook groups, is it a house etc.? Someone please help haha
Hi, I've been allocated catered accommodation ( at carrysbrook) and I just have a few queries about the food situation, and it would be great to have the following questions answered if possible!
1) Since I am in catered accommodation, am I still allowed to bring and use a portable hob in the kitchen?
2) Can i bring and use my own rice cooker?
3) What do they actually offer for dinner - is it flexible insofar that you are able to ask for a little more veg and a little less meat?
4) How varied is the menu, and how often would you say it is rotated roughly - weekly? monthly? termly?

Thank you, please can I get an answer asap because the deadline to confirm accommodation is in 5 days!!
Original post by Joeeel97
Hi, I've been allocated catered accommodation ( at carrysbrook) and I just have a few queries about the food situation, and it would be great to have the following questions answered if possible!
1) Since I am in catered accommodation, am I still allowed to bring and use a portable hob in the kitchen?
3) What do they actually offer for dinner - is it flexible insofar that you are able to ask for a little more veg and a little less meat?
4) How varied is the menu, and how often would you say it is rotated roughly - weekly? monthly? termly?

Thank you, please can I get an answer asap because the deadline to confirm accommodation is in 5 days!!

Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying to this.1) There is a small 'kitchenette' in catered accommodation, which comprises a microwave, hob, fridge/freezer, kettle and toaster - so you do not need to bring your own.2) Yes you can, as long as it is properly wired (i.e. not imported from another country - I believe there was a fire in City accommodation a couple of years ago, which was due to a poorly manufactured rice cooker).3) In the diner for catered students (at The Edge), there are 3 different choices each day (one of these will be vegetarian). The meal would usually comprise of a protein (e.g. meat, fish, etc.), a potato (e.g. chips, new potatoes, mash) and veg/salad. You would get a bit of each, but can ask to have a little less of something if you don't want it. I should also mention that you can spend your catering allowance in any of the 24 University cafés around campus (e.g. in the Medical School, Information Commons, Jessop West, etc.). You can, in this way, choose from a wider selection of food. Plus, it can be more convenient if you are not around Endcliffe for meal times.4) I am not sure if there is an official rota of meals. However, I can say that there a wide variety of different meals prepared, with the popular ones offered more regularly.If you have come through Clearing/Adjustment/Insurance, and you are choosing between Endcliffe/catered, or City/self-catered, I would choose Endcliffe/catered. Don't let the fact that it is catered put you off - the food is of a very good quality and the catering arrangements are very flexible. Endcliffe is a very nice place to live in, and you will have an incredible time. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
Original post by Livvv_
Hi,
Why are you not allowed to to use battery operated fairy lights in university accommodation?

Hi Livvv

I haven't checked this directly with the acccommodation team but I think it's because some battery operated fairy lights are a fire hazard and we need to keep accommodation as safe (and fire hazard free) as possible.:smile:

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by _grace97
I got sheffield as my insurance place, but the only accommodation left in endcliffe, which is where i really wanted to be for the social aspect, is catered shared bathroom, which is the complete opposite to what i wanted (ensuite self catered) as i enjoy cooking, no set meal times, and the privacy of an ensuite. the photos of the catered rooms also look a lot less modern and not as nice.
does anyone have any experience of catered at sheffield and is it worth selecting this option just to be in endcliffe despite it not being what i initially had in mind? and is there a chance that i could still get self catered if people drop out in the first few weeks or if i phone them up expressing my concerns??
sorry for so many questions

Hi Grace

You can still do some cooking in catered accommodation (although, admittedly the kitchens are smaller and less well equipped than self-catered). In catered accommodation, you will receive a GeniUS card, which is topped up with £48.65 per week. You can use the card at any of the cafes and restaurants in the student residences or on campus so you're not tied to particular meal times and there is a wide range of different cuisines on campus. Most students in catered will have their breakfast in their flat and then buy their lunch and evening meal with their GeniUS card.

I understand your reticence about using a shared bathroom but in most flats it's not an issue when you move in - just make sure you bring flip flops and a dressing gown or bathrobe! If you live in a flat with a shared bathroom, the bathroom is also cleaned for you.

When you accept a room in university accommodation, you will sign a contract that states the room you will be living in. Therefore, I'm not sure if you would be able to change accommodation type when you moved in. However, if you email our accommodation team on [email protected] they should be able to give you more advice on this.

We're really pleased that you're coming to Sheffield and I hope you enjoy moving in and freshers week!

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by RoryKejz
I applied for student finance before May 31St, but in June I changed my course which meant I had to change my application for Student Finance, and it states this could take 6 weeks to be updated and in effect- will this be an issue?
Also I haven't received any information (or I may have but I cant find the email) about how much loan/grant I will receive, therefore my parents and I are still undecided as to what bank account the loan/grant goes into (do we get a choice (ie it goes into mine or my parents bank account) or is it simply 'I'm the student so it goes into my bank account'?)
Thanks

Good morning

Thanks for your query about student finance. Changing your course and your university should not affect your student finance application too much and you should have received confirmation about your student finance package by now. There is a different student finance organisation depending on where you live in the UK (England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland). If you applied to Student Finance England, I've attached their leaflet about what to do when you know which course and university you are attending. I would strongly advise that you contact them as soon as possible.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by katt123
Is anyone commuting to uni of sheffied or know of anygroups on Facebook of commuters? I would appreciate it so much if anyone could let me know please xx

Hi there :smile:

I'm not aware of any Facebook groups that have been set up specifially for students who are commuting to Sheffield but I think it's a great idea! To get the ball rolling, I'd advise joining the Firmers Facebook group (for undergrad students who are starting in Sheffield in September) and I'm sure you'll find some fellow commuters! The Firmers FB group can be found at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529785767305358

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by George10
My accommodation offer states Endcliffe Avenue but I can't find any info on the residence, eg. no facebook groups, is it a house etc.? Someone please help haha

Good morning :smile:

We've set up Facebook groups for all of the apartments and you should be able to find the right group for you at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social#Blocks

You can also join the main Accommodation Facebook group at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniversityofSheffieldaccommodation/

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by Lissy14
Hi,
My friends have got there accommodation but I haven't got mine yet.

I submitted my application before the deadlines ect, made it my firm choice, was covered under the original guaranty.

Do you think this is because I was given a course change?
Will my application be put to the back of the pile with the clearing/late aplication candidates?

Thanks for the advance!

EDIT: if I am at the back it isn't a problem! I just wanted to know where I stand because I an a little anxious/nervous/excited

Hi Lissy :smile:

I think it's best if you contact our accommodation team directly for an update. Their details are: [email protected] or 0114 222 4488 (option 2)

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by Joeeel97

Hi there :smile:

Just to add to the reply from Sheffunistudent, as a student in catered accommodation, you will receive a GeniUS card which is updated with £48.65 of credit each week. You can use the card at any university cafe, restaurant or catering outlet either in accommodation or on campus so you should have a varied menu throughout term! The credit should cover the cost of 2 meals per day (lunch and evening meal). Most students in catered will have breakfast in their flat. For more information about how the card works, please see:
http://withus.com/catered-students/

Best regards

Elizabeth
Hi,

I was just wondering about our students loans.

Do they come through in time to pay for accommodation?
Original post by lambs97
Hi,

I was just wondering about our students loans.

Do they come through in time to pay for accommodation?

Good afternoon :smile:

I'll tackle this query in two parts. First, let's look at the student finance side:

How quickly your student loan and grant comes through depends on when you applied. If you have not yet applied, it takes a minimum of 6 weeks to process an application.

If you have already applied, signed and returned the declaration form to Student Finance, and received your Student Finance Entitlement letter then you are in a good position. All you need to do is register at university (this normally happens during the first week of your course) and then Student Finance will transfer the funds for any maintenance grant and maintenance loan to your bank account within 2-3 working days. Note: this information has been taken from page 12 of the '2015-16 guide for new full-time students', which you can download from here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/further-information

Second, let's look at the accommodation side:

You will need to pay a £150 deposit when you return your accommodation contract. Your contract needs to be returned before you come to university so this money is due before your student loan or grant is paid.

Most students at Sheffield pay their rent in 3 installments. Last year the payment dates were 1 October 2014, 21 January 2015 and 15 April 2015. The dates for 2015-16 will be stated in your accommodation contract. Provided that you have applied for student finance in good time and registered at the university, your loan and grant will be in your bank account before your first rental payment is due.

If you have any financial concerns, our student finance advice team can help. They have developed lots of useful online resources that you can access at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance

The team are also very friendly and can give you one-to-one advice, just email them at [email protected] or 0114 222 1319.

I hope that's useful :smile:

Good luck with your move to Sheffield

Elizabeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending