The Student Room Group

Going to new Uni as 2nd year transfer, 'fresher' status?

Obviously as it's a new institution that I'm going to, does it make sense to take part in student orientation? Definitely not clubbing and stuff like that, as I did that last year.

But one thing I'm worried about is making friends. It seems more daunting task to me than I was as a first year at my old Uni. Fresher's is gonna be full of first years, I might meet some cool ones but not see them in any classes again. And I anticipate the 2nd years have formed their own cliques, leaving me in a awkward position.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if anyone has experience as a 2nd year transfer and settling in to a new Uni, please share
Original post by Koolio
Obviously as it's a new institution that I'm going to, does it make sense to take part in student orientation? Definitely not clubbing and stuff like that, as I did that last year.

But one thing I'm worried about is making friends. It seems more daunting task to me than I was as a first year at my old Uni. Fresher's is gonna be full of first years, I might meet some cool ones but not see them in any classes again. And I anticipate the 2nd years have formed their own cliques, leaving me in a awkward position.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if anyone has experience as a 2nd year transfer and settling in to a new Uni, please share

I haven't had an experience of this....yet! I'm stressing about making friends too when transferring next year! Where are you transferring to and from? :smile:
Reply 2
Im in the same boat as I'm transferring to the University of York for my second year! where are you transferring to? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by anwarpwnsall
I haven't had an experience of this....yet! I'm stressing about making friends too when transferring next year! Where are you transferring to and from? :smile:

Hiya im not the person who posted this but just thought id reply anyway :P! I'm a transfer student too hopefully going to York this september to transfer onto 2nd year politics! and you?
Original post by Fats
Hiya im not the person who posted this but just thought id reply anyway :P! I'm a transfer student too hopefully going to York this september to transfer onto 2nd year politics! and you?

Very nice! I'm transferring to Newcastle into 2nd year politics! :smile:
Reply 5
Thats so cool and both studying politics haha :')!
Original post by Fats
Thats so cool and both studying politics haha :')!

Didn't actually know you could transfer to york for politics, would've looked into that as well, oh well! :')
Reply 7
Original post by anwarpwnsall
Didn't actually know you could transfer to york for politics, would've looked into that as well, oh well! :':wink:

Yep the department administrator was really nice! She she asked me to put together a 500 word statement as to how my current modules at my previous institution would help me proceed into second year BA Politics at York. I received an offer straight away which i was so shocked and pleased with!
Reply 8
Reply 9
Hi,

I havnt had any experience of 2nd year transfer but I can say that second years (and third years etc) are always looking to meet new people through societies, jobs etc. Just because they may have a 'clique' doesnt mean they dont wanna make new friends or meet new people.

Are you staying in halls or off campus? If halls, thats a great opportunity to meet people.

I would also recommend getting a part time job. In a lot of student towns, many 2nd/3rd years will have jobs and that could be a great way to meet people! When I was a first year I had a job at the student union and became friends with loads of second years through that?

Good luck
I'm in the same boat now and I hardly see anyone's experience of this online. How was the transfer into second year like? I do worry I won't make friends in my year when I move. I hate my uni now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending