The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

:frown:

Things happen for a reason and whilst I'm dying inside atm (really really didn't expect Durham to reject me), I need to try and stay positive. I've been given a year to both enrich my application and myself; my head of sixth form said that most people would kill for a year to do whatever they want.

(can you notice this is what I keep telling myself to make it better?)

I'm sure whatever I do will be worthwhile and I'm going to resit the subjects where I missed my predicted grades.

Also, in all of the stress of the past couple of days I didn't say well done to your son and indeed well done to everyone who met their offers!
Original post by ILovePancakes

Things happen for a reason and whilst I'm dying inside atm (really really didn't expect Durham to reject me), I need to try and stay positive. I've been given a year to both enrich my application and myself; my head of sixth form said that most people would kill for a year to do whatever they want.

I'm sure whatever I do will be worthwhile and I'm going to resit the subjects where I missed my predicted grades.

Also, in all of the stress of the past couple of days I didn't say well done to your son and indeed well done to everyone who met their offers!

I think you should absolutely make the most of a gap year now, I think you'll thrive. I'm certain in fact!

Do you have any ideas on what you'd like to do?

I'm wondering why I'm even going to uni, and was reacquainted with this https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/149/intelligence-linguist

So many options.

I'm sorry to hear about it, but I hope you have the best of times on a year out, and I wish you the best of luck for whatever you decide to do!!!!

Keep me posted :smile:

"I'm sure whatever I do will be worthwhile" abso-bloody-lutely :smile:

You. Will. Be. Brilliant.

(And thanks :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a gap year. It was the time of my life (yeah, cliché-ish, I know). But really, my gap year was the best thing that happened to me. Honestly, I would never have applied for Cambridge if it weren't for my gap year, to get my mind off school (just a bit), and find my motivation again.
Best of luck to you!

If it makes you feel any better, I too did a gap year and it was great.

Mine was totally unplanned and tbh I thought I was just gonna be lounging around the house for twelve months since I was rejected by pretty much every formal gap year scheme there was, but by the end of it I'd done work for the Prime Minister.

Whatever you do, you'll be great.
Just received the rejection via email. I was really annoyed before at how long it was taking, but the admissions tutor was so nice. He went through my application and explained what happened in the summer pool (tbh I'm surprised I even made it to the summer pool). Sort of sounded like they tried to promote my application and the tone was almost disappointed that another college didn't give me an offer.

It's a gap year for me now, so we will see what happens. Good luck with everything :h:

Sorry to hear that :frown: IB truly is a flawed system.
Best of luck in your gap year and I'm sure your re-sits will go well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3466
Original post by mollyh77
Got 5A*s and in, so excited and so scared!! can't believe it

That's amazing! Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VSEPR
That's amazing! Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Was not expecting it aha, my college is Pembroke :smile:
I got an email today saying my college would accept me anyway, despite missing my offer by 50 UMS! The admissions tutor was so nice, I'm considering whether to send her a bunch of flowers...
Original post by Gaiaphage
I got an email today saying my college would accept me anyway, despite missing my offer by 50 UMS! The admissions tutor was so nice, I'm considering whether to send her a bunch of flowers...

Wow! Congratulations. Can I ask your college/course?
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Wow! Congratulations. Can I ask your college/course?

Medicine at Sidney Sussex!

I needed an A* in Biology and ended up getting a low A in Biol 4 and the EMPA and a C in Biol 5, so ended up with 220/300 at A2 when I needed 270. To be fair, the C was only 13 marks off full UMS, that's how messed up the grade boundaries are! I phoned them up on the day and they said they were still considering but a significant number of people missed their offers and there were very few places (Medicine in particular has a strict quota and they'd already over-offered) so I wasn't too hopeful, but 4pm came round and I hadn't been rejected then a couple of hours later I got one saying I was in :smile:

I needed an A* in Biology and ended up getting a low A in Biol 4 and the EMPA and a C in Biol 5, so ended up with 220/300 at A2 when I needed 270. To be fair, the C was only 13 marks off full UMS, that's how messed up the grade boundaries are! I phoned them up on the day and they said they were still considering but a significant number of people missed their offers and there were very few places (Medicine in particular has a strict quota and they'd already over-offered) so I wasn't too hopeful, but 4pm came round and I hadn't been rejected then a couple of hours later I got one saying I was in :smile:

Well that's great news :smile: I'm very happy for you. See you there I guess!
Well that's great news :smile: I'm very happy for you. See you there I guess!

Thanks so much! I'm sure you've probably said this before but it'll be buried 20 pages down... what's your course/college?
Thanks so much! I'm sure you've probably said this before but it'll be buried 20 pages down... what's your course/college?

Christ's for Philosophy! Maybe not the most likely place for bumping into medical students from other colleges, but you never know :wink:
Christ's for Philosophy! Maybe not the most likely place for bumping into medical students from other colleges, but you never know :wink:

Wow, that's so good! I tried to stay away from the prestigious colleges in the tiny hope it'd help me get an offer haha, maybe it worked! Looks like you'll be less than 50m from me then, Christ's and Sidney Sussex are right next door
Wow, that's so good! I tried to stay away from the prestigious colleges in the tiny hope it'd help me get an offer haha, maybe it worked! Looks like you'll be less than 50m from me then, Christ's and Sidney Sussex are right next door

I didn't even know Christ's was particularly prestigious 😄 no complaints! I just chose the college which had the greatest number of cats - easy choice (and the admissions guy is pretty cool).

Awesome, though. I've only been to the city twice so I did not know that at all :smile:
I didn't even know Christ's was particularly prestigious 😄 no complaints! I just chose the college which had the greatest number of cats - easy choice (and the admissions guy is pretty cool).

Awesome, though. I've only been to the city twice so I did not know that at all :smile:

Haha maybe it's just me but I'd put it right up there with St John's and Trinity. I'm sure you'll love it, I only chose Sidney because my friend's Dad who knows nothing about Cambridge booked us in the open day for it while we were away and it was sunny!

You should come and get to know it then, I live very close and go there frequently so it'd have been even more heartbreaking every time I went shopping if I'd got a rejection, and it's such a great city :smile:
Haha maybe it's just me but I'd put it right up there with St John's and Trinity. I'm sure you'll love it, I only chose Sidney because my friend's Dad who knows nothing about Cambridge booked us in the open day for it while we were away and it was sunny!

You should come and get to know it then, I live very close and go there frequently so it'd have been even more heartbreaking every time I went shopping if I'd got a rejection, and it's such a great city :smile:

I will. I don't know if you've ever been told this story, but apparently one year for SS's may ball they created an artificial river for students to punt down inside the college. Maybe it's just the most badass college? My open day was pretty random too... went to Clare!
I will. I don't know if you've ever been told this story, but apparently one year for SS's may ball they created an artificial river for students to punt down inside the college. Maybe it's just the most badass college? My open day was pretty random too... went to Clare!

They did indeed, and the years they don't have a ball they join in with St Johns which apparently is the best so I think it's safe to say I've had my fair share of luck! Ooh I went to the Clare one too and I loved it but again I thought I'd have a better chance at Sidney, maybe we saw eachother haha!

Congratulations! :yay:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending